WOW and Dual 867...anyone?

Discussion in 'Games' started by robo74, Aug 4, 2005.

1. robo74 macrumors 6502

At this point, I cant afford to go out and get that new G5..
    But I have the option to get a dual 867,
    it will have 1.25 Ram with a geforce 4mx video card.

I know I will upgrade that card asap, but I want to know if we have any dual 867 MDD owners out there that play WOW and how it performs for you.

Feel free to throw in any upgrades you have that you think is important to its performance.

Thanks
    Rob

2. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

WoW refused to install on my Dual 867 with a similar spec to yours. It probably needs a new graphics card to run on it.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

While I do not have a Dual 867MHz Power Mac G4, I would still be willing to bet that it should hand WOW fine (provided you up the video card as you stated).

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I disagree. I don't think it will be pretty on an 867 mhz system. A good graphics card and that gig and a half of RAM will help, but it's not enough - WoW requires a pretty decent processor.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

If WOW uses the second processor, you'll be fine, otherwise - not.

6. budgej867 macrumors newbie

I regularly play on my MDD 867 MHz G4 (1 GB RAM, 128 MB GeForce4 TI 4600). While installing, the game will tell you that the system is under the minimum specifications, but you can tell it to install regardless.

Speaking about PvE, with all video settings at minimum and a resolution of 1280x1024, it is *playable*. You will never see 60 frames per second, but WoW does not generally require you to play at 60 fps like a first-person shooter does. Places like Ironforge will always be laggy and slow no matter what--even my dad's 3 GHz P4 (with 1 GB of RAM) locks up for ten to twenty seconds when facing the bank or auction house for the first time in a session. Generally speaking, playing solo is perfectly acceptable--by acceptable, I mean that you will not find yourself waiting for the computer to catch up to your commands. Though many people have different ideas about what is acceptable, I believe most would agree that solo play runs well enough on the MDD 867 MHz. In 5-man instances, you will get noticeable lag. It is not quite as bearable, though with patience you can do fine and no one in your party will ever know. However, if you go beyond 5, it will become unplayable. Outdoor combat in large raids is a joke, and even 10-man Stratholme runs will leave you wishing for a faster computer.

I have not done much PvP, but from what I've seen, anything above 10-man raids will be a slideshow.

On the whole, however, it runs well enough that you can enjoy most of the game. End-game instances are not all that is fun about WoW. :)

PS: If you want concrete numbers, I can't really give you any for sure, but I can estimate. I'd say that when soloing a single mob, it runs at about 30 to 40 frames per second. With three or more on the screen it's about 25 to 35. In 5-man groups, it can run up to 30 frames per second or sometimes as low as 15 when things get busy. In 10-man raids or higher, expect no more than 20 frames per second. Don't be shocked when you read these numbers; if you think about it, 15 frames per second really isn't that bad for WoW, at least in PvE, considering you don't need lightning-quick reflexes very often. In PvP it may be more of a factor. If you already have a paladin, though, not even a G5 will solve your PvP troubles. ;-)

7. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Hm, I played with a 867 mhz 12" pb until May. I was able to raise my druid to level 44 without many problems ( it's 60 now :) ) Of course, as described above, the big Cities like Ironforge will always lag, but you don't really need framerates to trade stuff. I had no problems in 5 man instances, but when there were 10+ people at the same time at the same place it slowly became a slideshow. Personally I think the questing and going to instances part is way more fun than pvp, but to each their own. As a matter of fact participating in raids does only make sense if you are level 50+ and if you don't play many hours a day you'll have some time until you are there. Maybe you can afford a new computer then (if you don't play many hours of wow a day :D )

8. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Upgrading your RAM to 1gb will help a great deal, but probably of greatest importance is upgrading your video card. Something like a Radeon 9800 Pro would work wonders for getting better performance in WoW. The Mac version of that card is still terribly expensive, but if you aren't afraid of a little flashing, you can pick up a PC version of the same card for around $100 and just flash it with the Mac rom, and you're in business.

9. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

I have a dual 867, 1GB ram, and a radeon 9700, and its fine for me. the radeon upgrade actually lets you do 10 man stuff, and if you dont mind to ba, it can even funciton tolerably in MC/ 40 man stuff, even a full 80 person AV match. of course, settings need to be down fo big stuff, and you get about a steady 5 FPS, but you can still play.

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I've installed and played WoW on my old 800 MHz Titanium PowerBook. It's not fast, barely playable, but it works.

11. cubist macrumors 68020

The video card will likely cost you at least $50 and possibly more. I don't know how much you're paying for the dual-867, but if gaming is your primary use for the machine, you'd probably be better off with a Mini.

OTOH, a dual-867 MDD should be a great machine for Tiger for other uses, especially since you can put two big, fast hard drives in there and two optical drives. I know you can't put an AGP 8x board in there... not sure what video boards you can get; the geforce 4 isn't that bad really, except for the 3D stuff. If someone can comment on that, I'd like to hear it myself; I'm using a Sawtooth and thinking dual processors and dual opticals would be pretty neat.

PS why don't you WOW on the iBook?

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i play it on my dual 450MHz G4 cube (radeon 7500) and it's fine usually from 10-15fps, but it's playable. you should get around 20fps with your quicksilver which is fine (thats worst case bar ironforge which runs like crap on my pc (3200+ x800XT) heck my 600MHz G3 ibook is ok in intences and 5fps outside.