WoW and iMac G5 hardware upgrade?

Discussion in 'Games' started by storage, Sep 28, 2005.

1. storage macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of ordering a 250GB Seagate 7200.8 harddrive, and 1024MB Kingston RAM, will these work in the 17" 1.8GHz iMac G5?

Now to the real question, will the improvement from the 1024 more RAM do anything for low framerates? Currently I have somewhere between 0.5 and 4 frames per second in Ironforge. 0.5 when it's packed outside the bank/auction house and around 4 when it's only a few people there. Also, will the faster harddrive (I assume the 250GB Seagate is faster than the stock 160GB?) make the game load any faster?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

General rule of thumb faster harddrives do not speed games up, it depends how much data is being read from the drive.

But generally no.

Not sure about RAM and frame rates, there is talk that if you have two ram modules the same it can speed up frame rates slightly. It is more likely to be your graphics card

How much RAM do you have at the moment?

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The standard harddrive in the iMac is the same speed, 7200rpm SATA, presumably both with an 8mb cache. The RAM will help some, as you can load more textures into memory without having to access the HDD.

When I had WoW, I played on a 1G iMac G5 with 768mb of RAM. It was playable, but laggy/low framerate. Not much effected this, as far as settings go. How much adding more RAM to your iMac will help is contingent on how much RAM you have now.

Also note that a lot of the low framerates you get in IF are caused by he simple fact there are 1000 people in your immediate vicinity, and no amount of hardware upgrade is going to eliminate that all together.

4. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the answers :)

I currently have the stock 512MB memory, forgot to mention it in the first post, sorry for that :eek:

I'm planning on getting another stick of 1024 if I need and have the money to spare at a later point.

Both have the same 8MB cache, but the 7200.8 is faster, for some reason (don't really know why, but I read on some forums it was one of the harddrives with the best price/temperature/performance ratio).

I'm still buying the harddrive tho, almost out of space!

Thanks again :)

5. PaZuZuPrime macrumors newbie

The Ram will Help

On my old PC that I played WoW on I noticed a huge difference when I went from 512mb ram to 1 gig of ram. The lag in Orgrimmar/Ironforge is going to be unavoidable unfortunatly, though even if you have 2947637830543mb of ram since all the kiddies like to sit around in there and flame crap on general chat all day long.

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

The RAM will definitely help. Unfortunately your GFX board is worth its weight in paperclips (hyperbole). :eek:

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

you (sometimes) get .5 fps in Ironforge??

I used to play on a single 1.8 powermac G5 with radeon 9600 and 1.5 GB RAM and I don't think I was ever close to that few fps! :eek:

8. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i went from 512 to 1.25 on a 12" powerbook.

doubled my framerates (im usually at 20-30 in flight now, used to be about 10-12), i can also turn on features and am able to set my view distance to approximately 1/3 without performance decrease. it's playable but choppy at fully distance, and doesn't look any better IMO.

ram = HUGE UPGRADE.

HDD = no upgrade performance wise, but more space.

9. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I was gonna say the same thing and I have the same computer he does. Something must be up..

10. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

The game is fully playable with around 40-ish frames per second everywhere except Ironforge bank, auction house and the space between the two, where there are like 50 million people dancing.

The .5 frames per second usually occur when I have a Safari window in the background. It could also be that it's my first Mac, so I might be doing something in the background that I have no idea of :).

I'm using the default settings on everything except the screen resolution which I set to 1440x900.

Thanks once again :)

11. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

.5 fps in IF AH : press command-M go to the preferences pane, energy saver options / advanced => Optimize for best performance.

I played 2 weeks before I realized I still played in 'best battery usage' mode :/

12. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

13. RobHague macrumors 6502

Yeah there is an area in Ironforge that is 'full' of people. I am not sure if the 'slow down' in that area is due to the hardware being pushed to its limits... (there are so many people on screen - but then ive had that many enemies onscreen before so) or because they are all real users and the sheer traffic is causing the game to render slower to keep it all 'in sync' with everyone else :confused:

Anyhow, yes IronForge - Not 0.5fps but it does drop.

14. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

This is the dreaded Auction House of IronForge (IF/AH) effect...

So many people run from the bank to the auction house at the same time, plus the constant flight of the griffins, makes it a real bottleneck...

There are so many textures to load and uncompress that it brings my 1.5 ghz maxed-out powerbook to its knees.

Well, used to, I quitted yesterday! Yay me!

15. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone :)

The only energy saving setting I can find is the CPU speed setting that can be set to "Automatic", "Highest" or "Reduced" (not entirely sure what the exact names are, as my OSX is Swedish). Is that it? Remember it's my first Mac ever, so I'm a real newbie!

Thanks! :)

16. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Yes, that's it, set your cpu speed to 'Highest' and Ironforge's auction house will be a lot more tolerable (still laggy though).

Have fnu.

17. Barham macrumors regular

Ok, I haven't seen a whole lot of really helpful comments. Most of the people seem like general computer enthusiasts. I am a WoW enthusiast. I've tried many different combinations and here's the verdict in a nutshell.

1 GB of RAM is the Magic number for WoW. Without this much (regardless of Mac or PC, I've use both) your framerate will be decreased by nearly half. I saw a slick gaming PC with an X850XT Platinum that only got about 20 fps in IF, but when he upped the RAM to 1GB he get....70+!

The hard drive is not going to help. If you want more space, go for it. If you're doing it for performance, it's a waste of your money.

Also, on the iMac, it might be better (for WoW) to get another 512MB stick instead of 1GB. The memory bus is actually faster when it has two matching sticks.

My advice, save the money from the Hard Drive. Buy two 1GB sticks and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS run with your processor set to "Highest".

This can increase your performance a lot, but if you're on a first gen iMac (meaning you have a Geforce FX5200 graphics card) you're just not going to get "great" performance no matter what you do.

The RAM will help a Ton with Ironforge (and other large towns) because of the texture loading and decompressing that someone else mentioned before, but you'll see less of an improvement in instance dungeons where most of the textures are already loaded.

-Hasta

18. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I have a 2.0 Ghz iMac G5 and play WoW.

When I first started, I had the stock 512MB RAM installed. Entering Iron Forge or Stormwind or other big cities would cause a major slowdown, with the game becoming very choppy, until I finally landed. It took a little bit, then I would go back to about 75-80% of my usual speed, with occassional slow downs. I had the graphics turned down to low-medium/low for the most part.

I upped the RAM to 1.5GB of RAM, and everything was much better: Iron Forge and SW are much more enjoyable; before, I would find myself falling down into the trench because it got so laggy; now, I have turned the graphics up almost all the way, with only 1 or 2 areas not boosted to the max, and the game is nearly always lagfree. Occassionally there will be a slowdown, but it is few and far between.

You will see a huge improvement with that extra GB of RAM, in both WoW and daily use of the iMac.

19. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

That's good to hear. I'm just about to upgrade my iMac to 1.5GB of RAM, possibly 2GB. I'll be looking forward to seeing how much better it performs.

20. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

Just reinstalled OSX after changing hard drive and installing more RAM.

World of Warcraft runs MUCH better with the 1536mb, instead of the stock 512! :)

Thanks everyone! :D

21. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Glad to hear it. I'm really looking forward to adding some more RAM.

22. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have a 12" pb (the most recent version) and I'm getting about 15 fps standing still..7-10 moving. Any ideas how to increase this? Is this normal?

specs
    768 ram
    on "automatic" speed

I have wow on lowest settings possible

thanks.

23. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

"automatic" should be changed to "highest" while playing WoW
    It should be possible to make an automator script for that no?

set proc to highest
    launch wow
    wait for WoW exit
    set proc to auto

Non?

Also, try to run WoW at native resolution (1024x768 on a 12 incher, iirc), I have read here that pb get a perf hit if the video card runs in a non native resolution.

24. Freyqq macrumors 68040

ok thanks I'll try that. Ya, I'm running it at 1024x768 but via an external monitor..maybe that's it. I don't know I'll try some stuff. Thanks.