WoW and KOTOR II on a Mini?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GreyFox1221, May 31, 2005.

1. GreyFox1221 macrumors regular

Is it good enough to run those two games. I stick to the Xbox because my computer is a family computer, but I'm getting a Mini for my graduation and am wondering if I can run those two games.

2. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

KOTOR II isn't out for Mac to my knowledge, but KOTOR is. I can't speak for KOTOR but WoW will probably be kinda choppy on low settings, but bearable I'd say. Also, make sure you upgrade the RAM to at least 512MB, if not 1GB for WoW. If you're one of those PC people who need at least 80 FPS in all the games you play, don't get a Mini.

For KOTOR, once you get the mini, check out Aspyr's Game Agent, it'll tell you how well it'll run.

Game Agent

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

the xbox is good for KOTOR2 so i say just stay with it on the Box de X

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't think a 32MB video card is stout enough to make KOTOR or WoW look very good.

5. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, in order to run both of those smoothly you need 64 MB of VRAM or more.

6. robo74 macrumors 6502

Im going to have to chime in with my 2 cents.
    I agree that WOW likes the bigger machines, however, I recently purchased a iBook 1.33 so I can play wow on the road. It plays pretty well with most factory settings. It gets a little rough in the high traffic area's, but sometimes you just have to deal with that.
    So in my opinion, I would say WOW should run on a mini just fine with knowledge that it may bog down a bit. And make sure you cram ram into that thing...256 wont cut it.

thats my .02

Rob

7. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I play WoW on my 1.42gHz Mini with 512MB RAM and it is just fine. Graphics are pretty good for only having the 32MB VRAM. Just make sure you get a two button mouse with scroll wheel. The game is next to impossible with a one button mouse.

8. Jsmit macrumors regular

I play with a one button track pad even though I have a two button mouse with scroll wheel.

[edited spelling]

9. GreyFox1221 thread starter macrumors regular

I decided to trade my DVD burner for RAM (hypotheticly) and now I will get 512, will that make iMovie run better?

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

More RAM will definitely make iMovie happier, but without your SuperDrive, how will you burn the movie you pass from iMovie to iDVD?

11. GreyFox1221 thread starter macrumors regular

My school has a lot of DVD burners and iMacs/Powerbooks so I should be set. Also my friend is getting one. When I get some more money maybe I'll get it updated.

12. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

mac mini & WOW

I have both a 1.42 GHZ Mac Mini with 512 Mb Ram and a 2.0 GHZ DP G5 with a 256 mb Radeon 9800. Guess which machine I prefer to play WOW on? Right more is better BUT...

When I sit down at the Mac Mini I do notice it is choppy at first, but after getting into the game a bit I forget that and just enjoy the game.

I would be tempted to try 1 Gb of Ram.

13. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

I would get the DVD burner and get some RAM from newegg.com they sell their stuff at a very reasonable price and I have never had a bad experience buying anything from them.