WoW and Nostromo n52

Discussion in 'Games' started by vsp, Sep 20, 2005.

1. vsp macrumors regular

Just started using the Nostromo n52 yesterday and, while I can see its potential, I'm having a hard time adjusting. I'd love to hear how others are using it....layout, what you use redshift, blueshift for, macro setup, etc.

Haven't done much with it, just trying to get used to having my hand on it. I've switched my turning to mouse right-click instead of the A and D key, leaving only 4 buttons on the n52 taken up by movement keys. Seems to be working OK so far though it does take me a few tries to get out a door :)

My two main characters are a hunter and a rogue. I'd like to set up different profiles for each character but, unlike the windows drivers, there doesn't seem to be a easy way to maintain numerous profiles for the same app. the only way I've figured out to do this is to export a profile for character #1, create a profile for character #2, and then swap them out be deleting then importing the one I need to use. Works but I imagine tweaking the settings a bit and I can see this easily getting confusing. Anybody find a better way of doing this?

Anyhoo, any comments, advice, suggestions or questions will be welcomed. Can't find any support boards for this controller so once again I find myself dependent upon the kindness of strangers :)

2. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

sorry i am not here to help but more to ask... how is it? is it better then the keyboard so far? i am asking because i am hoping to do that same set up. well good luck.. hope someone can help.

3. vsp thread starter macrumors regular

I'm mixed about it so far. Movement in combat is better, but conversation is slowed. Haven't worked out targeting yet.

The biggest benefit so far is I no longer have to glance at the keyboard to make sure I'm doing the right combat move. I'm not 100% adjusted to it yet...but my eyes are focused on the screen, instead of having to glance down to the keyboard on occasion.

It's worth trying out, I think. If you can pick one up with a 1-month return policy go for it. I've still got 25 days on my return policy and I imagine I'll use all of it to decide if it's really worth it.

If you do try it let me know what you think. I just rampaged through the western plaguelands with it at level 51 (and a good group) so I haven't lost much in the switch, if anything. Mainly my wise-ass comments arrive a beat later than they used to.

4. Perceptes macrumors member

Perceptes

Since I got my n52 and set it up for WoW, I was unable to play without it. Here's what my keys are mapped to:

D-pad: A, S, D, F (respectively)
    Red circle: Escape (for cancelling spells quickly)
    Rectangular thumb button: Tab (for switching targets)
    01 through 10: 1, 2, 3... 9, 0 (the main row of numbers on the keyboard)
    Scroll wheel: zoom in and out
    Scroll wheel button: - (minus key, the one to the right of zero on the numeric row)
    11 = open all bags (B)
    12 = open map (M)
    13 = open quest log (L)
    14 = open character pane (C)

Since, as you say, you cannot change n52 profiles based on which character you're using, I opted to use a generic layout like this for the n52 and then set up my hotkeys for each character according to what abilities I wanted to be triggered by which button on the n52. While it was a little awkward at first, it was invaluable once I got used to it.