WoW and Universal Binaries

Discussion in 'Games' started by SilentPanda, Jan 10, 2006.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

According to this post in the WoW forums, patch 1.9.2 will offer universal binaries for World of Warcraft. In case you were wondering.

2. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

Sweet. I love Blizzard. Even if they have me on the hook for $15 a month.

3. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Yup. Me too. If the new iMac (I keep wanting to put G5 after it) runs Windows also (hey some of us need it) then out goes my PC and in comes the iMac.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that would be sweet and one of the first things I try and do, probaly try installing on a firewire drive... OsX and Vista on one device would rock....

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Patch 1.9.2 is approaching faster than anticipated, and universal support has now been pushed back to 1.9.3. They expect to have it out by the end of January.

6. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Ye, the patches will be flying now. 1.9.0 wasn't exactly issue free.

And end of January sounds good. Wonder when/if we'll see universal support for other games.

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

My wife has finally agreed to change the old eMac (700Mhz) in the family room for a 20" iMac because she has started playing WoW, maybe I could swing an Intel iMac now on the basis that WoW will run on it!!:D :D

Nice one Blizzard.

8. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Someone in a realy high position at Blizzard must love Apple. I mean, they are the only game company who release their titles at the same time for mac and pc, and now this. :)

9. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Well right now I have a Windows PC with a 3.4 ghz P4 HT, Raedon X800 256MB Ram, 1.5 gig of RAM and the Dell 20" FPW. Once the new iMac's start rolling in, if people can get Windows installed on them (yeah I know it's been said it's possible but...) then that PC is going away. The Raedon X1600 256 should be plenty of graphics power I think. So we'll see.

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

leave it up to blizzard to be right on the ball with all the mac stuff, and still be considered a "PC gaming company"....

They always have both versions, Mac/Win, at the same release dates etc.

They rock.

Now gimme Warcraft 4 (dont tell me WoW ended the RTS aspect of Warcraft) and Starcraft 2.

11. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

That's awesome that they'll be using universal binary soon for WoW but what about the other games, Starcraft and Diablo II. I know they're old but they're still some of the best games ever. Does anyone know if they are switching those games to universal binary?

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

They don't need to. Older games aren't demanding on the CPU, so they run perfectly fine in emulation.

13. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Blizzard's support for the mac is exemplary.

Pity that WoW is basically borked for me now. For the last month it has been a lag and disconnect fest for many players. I have no idea of what they did to screw the game up so badly for so many people, but I cancelled today.

Now I'm wondering what to do.

14. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Kudos for Blizzard.

Though I stopped playing WoW because it was slow on my iBook G4.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Same here. I'm getting a bit bored of the game anyway, so might stop playing for a while when my credit runs out (beginning of March).

16. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Since installing 10.4.4 I can no longer view the WoW forums in Safari. Is anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: They are working again. I guess it was a Blizzard problem and not an Apple problem.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

They're working here.

Patch 1.9.2 is coming out today, it is "a small client-side patch to address the issue of "stuttering" player movement".

18. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Blizzard seems to be the only company that treats mac users "right." I wonder what % of the mac gaming market they have captured on account of it.

I mean, WC3, Diablo 2, Starcraft and WoW have to be a huge portion of the mac gaming market.

They also just released a WC3 update a day or two ago, amazing how they still keep updating older games. Let's hope we see a WC3 universal updater soon.