Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
um, beta 1

They're not going to catch up to Googles detail of the vast majority of the world in a few months. I don't expect any major changes from what we see currently and what we will see at release.

Yes, we know it's beta people, but come on, should we really expect Apple to catch up THAT much to Google in 3 months? This could be a huge disappointment.

Last edited:

DieAllianz

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2008
Germany
apple needed 9 month to let people delete a single picture in photostream on iOS5! So don't bring that beta-argument.

Maps will never ever chance until release and will likely be a huge dissapointment. Google announced they will bring offline maps to android soon for free!

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Apparently you don't understand what a beta is. If you are a real developer you would surely understand that its not perfect yet.
Apparently Apple doesn't understand what a beta is. This looks like an alpha release, and an early one at that. After all this time, people reasonably expect better than this.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Turn by turn used this morning. I have no gripes... putting my GPS in a drawer and getting a mount for my phone.

PS: people will never be happy with any technology anyone puts out.

Well let's hope the people from Africa aren't too happy or they'll all end up in the Indian Ocean!

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Apparently Apple doesn't understand what a beta is. This looks like an alpha release, and an early one at that. After all this time, people reasonably expect better than this.

I would argue the front end is to Beta standard, however the data certainly isn't.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Why is it difficult for people to understand that maps data is independent of the OS?

Regardless of the fact that this is a beta build, it's the maps data which is lacking, and it may or may not be down to Apple, but it is certainly not down to iOS - in fact, correct if I'm wrong, but maps data isn't stored on the device anyway, it's sourced from Apple's server or wherever. Personally, I'd be happy with regions being stored locally, like GPS apps we have today. That said, I know that the planet map is 21G as of time of this post. (This is almost 20 GB compressed or 150 GB uncompressed XML.)

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Why is it difficult for people to understand that maps data is independent of the OS?

Regardless of the fact that this is a beta build, it's the maps data which is lacking, and it may or may not be down to Apple, but it is certainly not down to iOS - in fact, correct if I'm wrong, but maps data isn't stored on the device anyway, it's sourced from Apple's server or wherever. Personally, I'd be happy with regions being stored locally, like GPS apps we have today.

I think I said that already ;-)

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Going through this, it looks like I'd prefer it if Maps became localised, i.e you could download the maps data for your specific region. In the end, it'd cost less for the user, becuase you're not having to constantly download data. This is my main gripe with Maps - constantly downloading data.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
To all those confused: 'beta' in the software development world means that a piece of software is feature-complete and no functionality can be added. It is only a time for bug-fixing. Google presented the idea of 'beta' to mean a 'preview', but that's incorrect. Apple generally follows the traditional view of beta -- they are not going to be dramatically changing anything about iOS6 at this point.

These simple mapping bugs like improperly-positioned labels will be fixed by release, but the errors in the street pathing will not. Not anytime soon, anyway. As others have said, these are cartographic errors with the mapping data. There will also be no Street View, and no walking or metro directions.

I always assumed any mapping solution Apple came out with would have to be at least as good as Google's. Because people don't care about Apple and Google's turf war; they just want a really great mapping solution. Apple has had three years and $100B to make it happen, and somehow they've gone into the weeds. It's baffling.

And unless Google has given up on Android as a platform leader, I doubt we will see a fully-functional Google Maps on iOS6. Why would they want to give iPhone customers a reason to stick with Apple?

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
To all those confused: 'beta' in the software development world means that a piece of software is feature-complete and no functionality can be added. It is only a time for bug-fixing. Google presented the idea of 'beta' to mean a 'preview', but that's incorrect. Apple generally follows the traditional view of beta -- they are not going to be dramatically changing anything about iOS6 at this point.

These simple mapping bugs like improperly-positioned labels will be fixed by release, but the errors in the street pathing will not. Not anytime soon, anyway. As others have said, these are cartographic errors with the mapping data. There will also be no Street View, and no walking or metro directions.

I always assumed any mapping solution Apple came out with would have to be at least as good as Google's. Because people don't care about Apple and Google's turf war; they just want a really great mapping solution. Apple has had three years and $100B to make it happen, and somehow they've gone into to the weeds. It's baffling.

And unless Google has given up on Android as a platform leader, I doubt we will see a fully-functional Google Maps on iOS6. Why would they want to give iPhone customers a reason to stick with Apple?

Exactly. That's why I'm not holding my breath for an iOS Google Maps in the app store. If google wanted to make ios maps equal to androids they would have just updated Apples stock maps app two years ago.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
like siri for a year?

Haha indeed, but it is funny the defense of Google who used to be known for extensively long Beta test periods. anyone remember the early invite only days of Gmail?

Google maps, and Gmail were beta for a period of time too. People complained about both, many loved MapQuest better at first, but over time, Google improved, and outpaced mapquest.

Apple, with deep pockets (like Google) will likely get things right eventually, but how long that will take is unknown.

They have purchased some great technology to make their maps similar, and they are also using many 3rd party data sources (like Google has to) as well.

I just hope we see incremental improvements between now and public release.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Exactly. That's why I'm not holding my breath for an iOS Google Maps in the app store. If google wanted to make ios maps equal to androids they would have just updated Apples stock maps app two years ago.

Google didn't make the Maps app though, Apple made the app but they sourced the data from Google.

The answer to that can be found in 1 word, Money.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Haha indeed, but it is funny the defense of Google who used to be known for extensively long Beta test periods. anyone remember the early invite only days of Gmail?

Google maps, and Gmail were beta for a period of time too. People complained about both, many loved MapQuest better at first, but over time, Google improved, and outpaced mapquest.

Apple, with deep pockets (like Google) will likely get things right eventually, but how long that will take is unknown.

They have purchased some great technology to make their maps similar, and they are also using many 3rd party data sources (like Google has to) as well.

I just hope we see incremental improvements between now and public release.

Point taken, and you are correct.
But what concerns me (I won't post a screenshot) is that the hybrid and satellite modes are 100% blurrycam distorted shots. They are so terrible, that you cannot even make out a road, let alone a row of trees.

So as rdowns points out (the flip of the switch) analogy I am not too certain it can fix this within such a short release window; but I could be wrong.
I can take a beta, but this appears to be well beyond what I would deem an alpha (speaking of the overhead view cam shots.)
Look at it long enough and it plays tricks on your mind- Should come with a "no, you don't need glasses" warning at startup.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Point taken, and you are correct.
But what concerns me (I won't post a screenshot) is that the hybrid and satellite modes are 100% blurrycam distorted shots. They are so terrible, that you cannot even make out a road, let alone a row of trees.

So as rdowns points out (the flip of the switch) analogy I am not too certain it can fix this within such a short release window; but I could be wrong.
I can take a beta, but this appears to be well beyond what I would deem an alpha (speaking of the overhead view cam shots.)
Look at it long enough and it plays tricks on your mind- Should come with a "no, you don't need glasses" warning at startup.

I totally respect what you are saying. I just hope that Apple teamed up with proper satellite image companies such as TerraMetrics and GeoEye to get good quality images for their hybrid / satellite images.

Remember ( I am sure you do know this), Google owns little or no satellite images, they are licensed or leased from corporations who operate the satellites in orbit.

I think it would be smart for Apple to offer users the chance to choose either Google, or their own Maps. Problem is, if they don't have a large user-base from the beginning, I doubt they would ever get the adoption numbers they need to make it worthwhile.

Honestly, I am amazed that we can't "test drive" their mapping solution within an application for iOS and OS X.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I would think the map data itself would be complete in the Beta since they are using outside sources like TOM TOM. I have a 4 lane 10 mile long road close to my house that is about 2 years old that just isn't there at all in the Apple map. I don't have a TOM TOM but I assume it is on their maps already. Maybe they just got old maps for the Beta. Hopefully.

Anyone else notice newer roads missing?

Apples new maps may be accurate and good for people who live in the hubs of America (LA, SF, Chicago, NYC, Seattle, etc) and only drive the same route from home to work everyday and once and awhile to the store, but from what I've seen Apples solution looks really bad in rural or small town areas. The screenshots of European areas look even worse.

I live relatively in the sticks in Berkshire, my estate is about 8 years old, they finished building it about 6 years old. Google Maps shows the estate only 1/4 built. Apple's maps shows the complete estate built and even the new coloured mini roundabouts that were remade about 4 months back. So here, Apple wins. most of my area looks better on apple's satellite maps than googles.

It's going to take time for Apple's maps to be perfect, but Google's did too, the only difference was that they had no real competition. street view took years to be any good. people just have no patience.

Also it could be that whilst iOS 6 is in beta, we're stuck with a limited version of maps and the full force will be flicked on when we hit launch or GM. not necessarily perfect, but part the way there, with Apple making headway on improving. Simply, this can only get better from here on out. who knows, in a year, there could be 3D for most the world and people will be saying how amazing it went from limited to decent.

As for the non-satellite maps, they definitely could do with improving with the standard for blue for motorways, etc, i would hope that would change soon

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Ya know..

All Apple has to do is flip a switch ( so to speak ) and *poof* that data you're talking about appears on your device.

That won't account for poor digitising. And why put poor quality data out now? Isn't the idea of beta testing to test?

----------

It's amusing how many 'developers' running the iOS6 Betas don't read the release notes:

OK so the imagery isn't complete. But their digitisation standards ISN'T imagery. That's vector based GIS work, and is piss poor.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I don't understand Apple's motivation. Apple has always said it has to focus on what it can do well and let others do what they can do well. Google is great at maps. They're the type of company that can do maps well because they partner well. They're open enough that they allow people to create custom maps for Google earth and they provide humanitarian services with their technologies during disasters, etc., using their map services. You can download Google Earth for free and use it for research purposes, and you can share directions with links to maps from maps.google.com. I wonder if Apple will have a web interface for maps so that you can share directions. I think they could have put more effort into other areas of iOS 6 and continued using Google's services.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Beta or not, Apple knew full-well that these maps would appear on and be reviewed by every tech blog on the planet and to have unveiled them in this sad state is an embarassment.
Yes, they might get better but dismissing the whole thing by saying it's a beta misses the point entirely.
The maps are the most newsworthy part of iOS6 and Apple knew this.
The maps should have been kept off of the device during the beta phase and only revealed in their final format.
Siri wasn't tested by the public at large before its reveal. It was tested internally.
That's how the maps should have been handled as well.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I actually love the look of Apple Maps, looks a lot cleaner then Google's offering.. But I'm not getting that 3D view that was shown on WWDC.. But to be expected as It's still in Beta..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.