WoW + ATI X800 = "WOW"

Discussion in 'Games' started by Abulia, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Received my ATI X800 today and installed it and took WoW out for a spin. Up to this point my performance has been "less than desirable" on my setup. (Rev A. 1.8 PM, 2.5 GB RAM, ATI 9600 Pro)

I'm happy to report this has now changed. :)

The X800 is impressive. Darn impressive. Of course, I had a crap video card to begin with, so it's not surprising. I went from pretty much every setting to the lowest setting or off to now turned on or maxed out. (The exception being terrain distance, currently set at the midpoint.)

The game looks simply FANTASTIC now. It runs smooth as silk in most "normal" areas. While lag in IF is noticeably better, there are some things that a new video card can't fix. ;)

Did I mention I play at 1680x1050?

Forests now have trees, there are now mountains in the background and the water...well lets just say I'm not used to being able to see down into and through the water until now.

The card is silent except in some very graphic-intensive areas; you can barely hear the fan start to spin up. IMPORTANT: After installing the card and the drivers, the fan will be on "full blast." Turn your system completely off and back on. At that point the drivers will kick in and your fan will idle until needed.

I was considering the Nvidia 6800 but am glad I waited for the X800. This card is small, takes up only one slot, and I picked it up for $450. (http://www.ati.com use coupon code 1000 or 1010 for 10% off order.)

Off to enjoy more WoW now! :D

2. cyberbengt macrumors newbie

WOW!

Nice to read a user review of this card! Seems promising!
    I’ve been planning to buy a 2x2Ghz PM since late november, but wanted to wait ’til x800 was realesed. Anyone have any idea when it will be avalible as BTO at Applestore?

3. applekid macrumors 68020

Wow! That X800 is just great by leaps and bounds. Only if I had a PowerMac G5... :)

I'm glad you're enjoying your graphics card.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I was considering getting a 6800 Ultra DDL until I heard about these cards, now I just have to suffer the fact I live in Australia and there are no distributors here for them, and ATI don't ship outside of the US/Canada :( Oh well here's hoping they turn up here soon!

5. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I wonder if it is better than my 6800...I've never been impressed with the 6800's performance and would put it on eBay in a heartbeat if the x800 is that good.

6. tubedogg macrumors regular

Bare Feats shows the X800 beating the 6800 in everything except rendering in Motion.
    http://www.barefeats.com/radx800.html

7. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

The card might be great, but ATI's customer service stinks.

I'm happy for you, but man, that salt you are rubbing into my wounds really stings!

If the operators at the ATI store were competent, I would be installing my own x800 card today. But no, they kept mis-spelling my name, so it caused problems with my credit card company, but of course they didn't actually call me to tell me there was a problem. So when I called them the next day (as I hadn't received the confirmation email I was promised), after I got them to fix the spelling issue, the sales-drone said "oh yeah, well we're out of those now. It will ship in a few weeks". Not even a "sorry for the mistake - of course we'll give you free shipping when it comes back in stock".

Obviously, I cancelled my order.

You know, its not like you expect companies not to make mistakes. But I think it is reasonable for them to apologize (at least) or somehow make good on their mistakes. If I ended getting an x800 from a third party, ATI will still get some profit off of me, but nothing close to what they would have gotten if I bought it from them direct. They are going to lose way more than what free shipping (even overnight shipping) would have cost them.

Grrrr.

8. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Well, I may just have to get one. Of course, you just know that when Tiger comes out, the supposedly new drivers will probably make it faster than the x800. Anyone care to comment on that?

EDIT: Damn, it shows as OUT OF STOCK at ATi's web site. Anyone know where else I can get it?

9. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I really think you should wait for Tiger. Apple customer service has stated that specific drivers tendered to the 6800s will be packaged. In addition, 10.3.8 is meant to address "Nvidia Performance Bugs." You know that is for the 6800s...

Just hold your horses, WoW performs very well as it is. I recommend turning off the Full Screen Bloom Effect. For one, it massively decreases performance, and in my opinion, it makes the game look way worse. All of my PC-using friends play with it turned off. (Did I mention they both have a 6800OC and X800 respectively?)

10. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

I think maybe buy.com.

Regarding the 6800, I would agree: wait for Tiger. However, for those that don't have a 6800 I really see this as a simple decision. Takes up only 1 slot. Smaller card. Performs better. Costs $150 less.

It's a shame that the 6800 doesn't perform as we think it should. The next update may fix that. Tiger may fix that. For me, personally, I couldn't see spending money on "potentially" better performance once Nvidia/Apple gets their driver issues sorted out.

I pay for performance, not potential. Loving the X800 right now.

11. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yes, the bloom (glow) effect is bugged. It nails performance and just looks icky. I have that turned off as well.

Too bad that ATI appears pretty clueless. I'm (slightly) surprised to see the X800 out of stock already on their web site. Unless you can find a better deal, I'd stick with them, though. Using the coupon code, getting $50 isn't anything to sneeze at. I would think the ATI store would get them in stock before anyone else would.

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Same here.

Most Macs I own have some kind of grfx card upgrade, and mostly it is equipped with an ATi grfx card. (All except my G4 400 <YIKES> which has the über Voodoo 5 5500 PCI :p ).

Even my (gaming-)PC has an ATi .. which one???
    ofcourse: The X800 XT PCI Express.... so cool :cool:

But my Dual 1.8 GHz G5 (Rev A) had a Radeon 9800 Pro (OEM, 128 MB VRAM) and have upgraded that one with the GeForce 6800 Ultra which I picked up in the Londen Regent Street Apple Store.
    I was pretty satisfied with that Radeon 9800 Pro, but (with Doom 3 in mind) I wanted the über OpenGL card (in PC gaming world at least) for my Mac as the X800 seemed so far away.

Once I installed the GeForce (and got a clean system running... not too easy as my G5 will now not boot from my 10.3 DVD... :rolleyes: : GeForce needs 10.3.6) I wasn't too impressed.
    Granted: Most games now don't push a Dual G5 with Radeon 9800 Pro, but I was hoping to see massive improvements in FPS in games like Nascar 2003, COD etc.
    Not really so.... But UT 2004 did!

So, I will wait for my final 'judgement" after Doom 3 is released.
    This game will certainly be the benchmark on gaming performance, especially on the Mac.

Also Mac OSX 10.3.8 should provide us with better drivers. Here's to hoping that the GeForce will perform as expected, and certainly as its price lets you believe... :rolleyes:

No doubt that the X800 is the better deal (granted same performance as trhe Ultra):
    1) $ 100,- less than the GeForce 6800 Ultra
    2) Better drivers
    3) Occupies only one slot
    4) Makes use of ATi's utlilities (AA, AF settings customizable per game)
    5) ADC connector (could be negative: not able to connect two 30" dislpays)

So. IMHO it is waiting for Mac OS X 10.3.8 and Doom 3.

Final verdict postponed till then ;)

13. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I pre-ordered the day of macworld, when on the ATI site it said "pre-order", then for 2 weeks the site said "in stock" but when I called they said the card was on backorder . . . with no ETA. I called everyday, asking if it was in stock, and they said no, with no ETA. So after 2 weeks of having my credit card queued, I decided to cancel, I used my card for others things, and just couldn't have a $500 charge pop up at any time.

I will probably just buy it from my local Apple reseller with cash when they get one in.

I played WoW at Macworld on a machine with the x800 on a G5 with a 20" cinema, it seemed to run pretty nice, but even with everything maxed, and all shaders (minus glow of course) it still only got like 30fps (i turned the FPS counter on). This was in the starting place for nightelves(I don't know the name of the town, don't play alliance side).

Anyway, I really don't care so much about WoW performance, my machine gets the job done just fine right now, I want it for Motion, that's where I could REALLY use it. :D

14. benpatient macrumors 68000

"What I'd really like to hear is more cowbell. Really lay into it!"

15. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

well, if i remember well i saw some test on the pc side and the 6800 had a clear advantage over the x800.Can't remember by how much thought.So if driver get set properly in tiger the 6800 should perform better than the x800.The x800 is a great video card and take only 1 slot. As a barefoot.com said : "The only G5 Power User that might prefer the GeForce 6800 would be the few "lucky dogs" with TWO 30" Cinema displays. The X800 XT comes with one dual link DVI port and one ADC port. That means it supports one 30" Cinema and a second display of your choosing (as long as it's not another 30" Cinema). The GeForce 6800 cards have two dual link DVI ports and therefore can drive two 30" Cinema displays." So unless u got to drive 2 30" display i would personnaly go for the ati

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm glad to hear about the great performance with the x800 but I have to say that my WoW experiences with nearly the same set up (SP rev. A 1.8 powermac, 1.5 GB RAM, radeon 9600 Pro 64MB) is very different from that of the original poster. I already see all of the detail that you describe as "new" with your x800 and thought I'm sure performance could improve, I don't ever think of my WoW experience as lacking or less than desirable. Glad to hear of your newfound enjoyment though.

17. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I've never played WOW but could you tell me if the full screen bloom effect is anything like sun flare? I play COD (and COD UO) and I can put all the settings to max but unless I disable the sun flare via the console every time I look to the sky or face the sun my FPS becomes erratic. Having disabled it I can't say I've noticed the game looking any worse but it plays better. There must be some lighting and shader bugs in whatever driver they cannabalised to get the 6800's running.

18. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Why don't you get one on eBay.com or eBay.ca?

19. cyberbengt macrumors newbie

International order accepted by OWC.

I live in sweden and have been waiting for x800 as BTO option at applestore ’cause ATI dosn’t accept international orders. Yesterday however I order a x800 from OWC (http://www.macsales.com/).
    It says 5 days before shipping...... :)

20. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

You play at 1680x1050? Anything less than my 20" monitor's native resolution and WoW looks pretty bad. With nearly the same setup as you (fresh, clean system, 2.5 GB RAM) the game was a slideshow.

Anything on your system to describe your performance "boost" that we're not getting?

21. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Tough to say since it doesn't work (for me). It "softens" the picture and makes it look all muddy. It also decreases the performance. According to a post on the official WoW forums for the Mac technical support, there's a known bug in the bloom effect; they (Blizzard) recommend you turn that feature off. I agree. :)

22. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I got my X800 yesterday, and it's really not all that much better than my GT. But now there's the override panels... World of Warcraft at 1600x1200 with the config panel maxed all the way yeilds 1FPS better than my GT (which there are no override panels for). All settings maxed in wow except the glow effect. So overall, same exact performance as my GT, but now i've got AF/FSAA options without a performance hit.

The card is quieter at idle, and much louder when it's workin out... my GT was always super silent except on boot. Also, my system runs much hotter than it did with the GT. I used to hover at 60C-61.5C, now i'm 63C-65C. I also installed my Revolution 7.1 audio card at the same time, and it's right above the x800, so that could be a reason why it's hotter too.

The override panels are really nice. I still love my GT though. I guess i'll be selling it... $299 anyone? free ship, mint, all docs included, original pagacking etc... PM me if your interested.

23. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I just got my x800 today. Won't be able to install it until after work. I like the control panel options as well. That's why I'll probably eBay my 6800 Ultra too.

24. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yes, at full res. on a 20" screen.

There is nothing to explain my "boost," but from my experience my performance is not exceptional, but rather yours unusually poor. My gf plays on a 1.25 Ghz powermac G4 with 768 RAM and a 64 MB Radeon 9000. It's not as smooth as on my computer (it's also on a smaller screen/lower res) but it's absolutely playable... nothing even resembling a "slideshow" except when in flight sometimes.

There is also the possibility that we have different definitions of "slideshow," "acceptable," "smooth," etc. But I don't think we can be that far off in our thinking. Basically, the game runs smoothly without jumping or lagging (except for when the servers are bad) at all times for me. I'm sure I'm not seeing *all* the detail but I see a great deal of very small and fine things. That certainly meets or exceeds my definition of "smooth." Maybe you have very high standards when it comes to video game performance?

25. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Could be. When I said "slideshow" that was with items turned up/on; my default settings (pre X800) gave me acceptable performance but at a loss of terrain distance, high-detailed textures. The game didn't run bad, per se, it just wasn't all it could be. My PM is only a couple of months old and I haven't done anything strange to it, so I'm at a loss to explain the performance differential between our two systems.

With the X800 it's turned WoW into a whole new gaming experience that I'm really enjoying.

Of course, with no 6800 to compare against, I don't presume to say one card is "better" than the other. Simply that I'm very happy with my purchase.