Wow. Best 9/11 comment ever. By Jon Stewart, no less.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In the "Worst 9/11" thread, zimv20 has a link to Crooks and Liars.

Well, if you scroll down just a bit, you'll find they've re-posted a clip from The Daily Show.

It is the very first segment that Jon Stewart did following the tragedy of 9/11. Jon is eloquent, inspiring, and not afraid to show his emotions on TV. It is moving and it is wonderful. To bare his soul like that in front of his audience, both in the studio and at home, is just one more reason for me to admire the hell out of that guy.

God, we need people of Jon Stewart's calibre running this country, instead of the chimp.

Go watch it and see for yourself.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I loves me some Jon Stewart.

Slightly off topic, but concerning the chimp, all I heard last night during his speech was:

*wah wa wah woink woi wah wa wer whe*

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I read his speech online.

Basically it was, "I know we disagree about a lot of things, but for the sake of fighting the terrorists, let's do it my way, okay?"

Does anybody "get it" less than Bush??

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What a dumbass.....

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I know we're mostly a liberal-leaning crowd on here, but does anyone else think that Clinton's transgressions pale in comparison to the national and international embarassment that is George W. Bush?

I'm expecting a resounding "yes" on that one...

In a way, you almost had to see it coming. If the Clinton impeachment showed us anything, it's that the Republican party has absolutely no shame and also no clue as to what the real issues in this country really are.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Nah. You see Bush lies to everyone, whereas Clinton specifically lied to Congress. As Congress is special, singling them out when you're lying is a far worse crime.

Besides, Clinton stained that nice woman's dress, and you wouldn't catch Mr. Bush doing that. He wouldn't have time for a start, seeing how much he spends making the world a safer place for us all.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Wow. This brought me to tears. A beautiful commentary. Jon Stewart is someone that I have a wealth of respect for, I think he's an amazing man.

e

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, of course what Clinton did is absolutely nothing compared to what Bush has done. I think it's sad that our country is more concerned about a president who lied over getting a blow job than they are over a president who has lied about the reasons for a war, the conditions in Iraq, the economy at home, etc. Bush has lied about everything but a blow job. Now I say we hire a hooker to go suck him off and see if we can finally get him impeached.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

10. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Great and here I am a republican *leaves* well its actually liberal in Australia

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Some of the comments below the video are pretty good, too. One of two of them even mention Olbermann. (Apparently we're not the only place that appreciated both videos.)

Among the comments:

That last one really got me, because the writer has obviously put it all together. "No one could have anticipated..." will forever be the excuse and the epitaph of this administration. :mad:

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

That should have been really made apparent when Congress won't do anything about wire tapping but goes almost unanimously against the president when William Jefferson's office was searched...

link

Go ahead and do warrantless searches on whomever you want, as long as you stay out of our offices... even if you have a warrant.

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Some would argue that inaction is the problem. IE Bin Laden
    Very sad indeed.
    The economy is doing quite well.
    Prepare to spend a lot of money on that one. :rolleyes:

14. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. :rolleyes:

16. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I probably would. Watching his piece the other day, I thought, this guy has a forcefulness and an integrity that reminds me of Edward R. Murrow.

As for the economy doing well -- I don't want to go too far o.t., but that's highly debatable.

17. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

The strength of the economy in the US has been built on the back of freely available credit and an unprecedented rise in the value of real estate. If bubble bursts - and there are signs that the market is losing/has lost momentum what then?

Clinton's troubles were between him and his wife. He lied about an affair. He was sleazy and he shouldn't have done it.

Bush lied about Iraq and treats civil rights with contempt. A far greater crime.

18. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not the mention the emergence of the super-rich, the ongoing weakening of the middle class, the budget deficit, the trade deficit, the unemployed that the government deliberately doesn't count, and the actual drop in real wages over the last couple of decades, among other things.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Try saying that to the millions who are unemployed.

The economy is great if you have a high paying job, but it's in the crapper if you're an average, middle class, working American.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. :rolleyes:

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Clever mactastic. ;) Yes I'll agree that our economy is very uncertain twenty years from now. One of these days this huge deficit is going to bite the US in the ass. This is one of the HUGE problems I have with Pres. Bush. Spending more than his Democratic counterpart Mr. Willy. Shocking, I know. Who would have thought a "conservative" would spend more than a Democrat. :eek:

But Bush aint a conservative. He's a big-government Republican. :mad:

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm actually talking about the here and now. Average wages are rising, but if you know anything about averages, you know that a giant increase on the top end can offset mediocre gains, or even losses, among the bulk of the populace and still make it sound like "the average American" is doing well. The distribution curve of that average is what politicians won't talk about.

Most Americans are losing ground wage-wise versus health care costs and inflation.

23. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Best way I've heard this put is:

Bill Gates makes a million dollars. You make nothing. So on average, you and Bill Gates make half a million dollars each. :rolleyes:

24. stillwater macrumors regular

Thanks Thomas Veil for posting the link to that video. I had forgotten what it felt like right after 9/11 when the whole country was united in their grief and their determination to show the world that America was strong enough to withstand and recover from such a brutal attack.

It makes me that much angrier now, to think about how Bushco has squandered all the good will and support the U.S. got from the rest of the world, by waging this misbegotten war against a country that had nothing to do with 9/11.

The rest of the world now sees the U.S. as a greater threat to their safety and security than Islamic fundamentalists.

25. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Millions were unemployed when Clinton was pres. And when bill was pres new orleans did have poor black people.