WOW beta installer

Discussion in 'Games' started by =Angus=, Jul 23, 2005.

1. =Angus= macrumors newbie

hey everyone, new guy here ;) . Well my problem is that i have downloaded both betas of WoW and the 1.5.0 and 1.6.0 full patches (still thinking which to choose) but when i click on install, it asks for a CD. I don't have a disk image, and i have nothing to mount to get one. Can anyone help me?

2. jrharvey macrumors newbie

i'm no expert but maybe .... buy the disks from a game retailer?

3. =Angus= thread starter macrumors newbie

humm.... cant afford.. :rolleyes: <= Argentinian.. dolars are worth three times more here than in usa :eek: .. so.. its kinda expensive.
    But i know guys who are playing beta without buying the game, but i cant e-mail them. So if anyone helps me i would really really apreciate it.

4. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I don't think you could create an acct without purchasing the game. At least that's how it worked back when the original beta period expired--hence my lack of acct! But, it's a fun game!

5. =Angus= thread starter macrumors newbie

6. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

An account...you have to set up an account and pay the software developers a monthly fee in order to play the game (in the neighborhood of $15/month I think). When you purchase the game you are given a CD-Key which you can use to create one and only one account.

I could be naive or ignorant, but I don't see how anyone could play without paying.

7. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

You *must* buy the game in the normal fashion. Unlike many other MMORPGS, you can't just download the client and buy a serial key. (Or if you know someone who have a guest pass/serial key, you can use that and upgrade it it).

8. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

You need to buy the game. There were two betas (whichi wan in both) the closed one which lasted a few months and an open one which last like a month or so. After the game was released the servers for the betas was closed down since there was no need for them. If you want to play the game you need to buy it, if you want to play for more then the free month that comes with the game you will need to pay which is like $13 a month i think.

9. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Well, you can play on a private server for free. But since last month Blizzard went ape on anyone who advertised their private server. Now, there isn't much out there on how to get on private servers.

The people he said are playing with out paying are doing it on private servers. A lot of gamers I have spoken to have stated that playing on private servers stinks. The lag is awful, the content is sparse and buggy. You won't be getting the full product as you would if you logged on to Blizzard's servers.

The OP is looking for a way to play WoW without the monthly fee. If he isn't willing to pay $50 for the game, I DOUBT he is willing to pay $15 a month each month there after. After all, our 1 dollar is 3 for him.....

To the OP, google whatever you are looking for. Or track down the people you know who are playing it for free.

10. =Angus= thread starter macrumors newbie

I am. Private servers are my only chance since im not willing to pay that amount of money. I know lots of free private servers, from argentina, france, spain, that are doing a great job dispite of buggs and lags. It is playable, so thats what im looking foward to. But i need a frickin disk image, and i know some were able to get one... i guess ill have to keep searching. :(

Thnx for your help anyway

EDIT: oh.. and btw, know of any rom page for PSX were you DONT have to vote or do all that worthless crap?.. just download and play :D
    Couse i have downloaded the PCSX which works when you inserta a playstation cd on the comp, i used to have one and a lot of games which i lend to friends, i guess ill have to ask them back.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

um... isn't this discussion in violation of forum rules? :confused:

12. =Angus= thread starter macrumors newbie

wops!.. then dont answer my rom question :D... but other than that, no links to illegal downloads were posted, so i think its ok i guess.

13. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I had no idea...now I do...

14. colocolo macrumors 6502

It is completely illegal to do what you want to do. And I have been looking for private servers myself here in South America, found already 2 here in my country and collecting all information I can to send it to Blizzard so they can take them down... it is stealing, and none of us should allow it.

If you don't have the money, don't play, period.

15. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Wow, I never knew there were private servers. Isn't there special server-end software needed to run WoW? I wouldn't think that would be available to end-users.

16. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

There are private servers for almost every MMORPG out there.. They're not really worth it though, since you don't have any real sense of security with your characters, they could be there one day, and gone the next due to a server crash.

17. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

sounds like the same thing with starcraft and the gamei servers.

18. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Well here in Mexico 1 dollar = 11 pesos. I still bought the game, I will still pay the monthly fee... :)

19. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Some more info on Private Servers, actually the one key peice of information about them - they are set up by GMs. WoW Game Masters are usually the ones who run the private servers. When blizzhackers.com was still up and running, many posted how they are GMs on vacation or people who used to be GMs.

Also, many GMs show favortism to real life friends playing in the game. A recent item/gold duplicate exploit was made public, because a GM's buddy couldn't keep his mouth shut. No, I do not have proof of this, but GM favortism is very apparant. There are WoW guilds out there with homepages who admit in having player who are GMs in them. If you read (maybe too much into it), you get the idea that the GMs playing characters (warrior/mage/shaman/etc.) aren't just playing WoW by the rules.

Here is the link to 2 Blizzard games based "hacking" pages:
    www.blizzhackers.com
    www.wowhacks.net

Now, I have never played on a private server. And from what I read on these sites, I would not want to. Content is sparse and the experience is laggy. One server said that they only had Elwynn Forest up and running - ONLY ELWYNN FOREST. Both Horde and Alliance began in that area. For anyone who has played this game, this is just stupid.

Bottom line: Buy the game, pay the monthly fee.

And one last thing: wow.allakhazam.com used to have Private Server items. I once saw a sword that had something lime +10,000 to stamina. It was insane.

20. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

It's best if you buy the game and pay the fee. It is certainly worth it, if you can afford it. I have obtained more pleasure from WoW than any other game I can think of.

On the other hand, there is a problem for people living in places where the exchange rate makes paying the fees prohibitive. $15US a month isn't that much if you live in Canada, but it is a more substantial sum if you live somewhere like New Zealand, and an astronomical sum if you live in other places.

At least there isn't so much of a problem actually getting the game in many places. When I was a kid growing up in NZ, piracy was a way of life, simply because most games were not offered for sale, or you had to jump through hoops to get them either renting them by mail order, or waiting for months for them to ship from overseas.

It would be nice if Blizzard priced the subscriptions differently for players from such countries, but it would probably be too open to abuse. Presumably, it just costs them more to run the servers in the US than it would if servers were available for Latin America.

21. colocolo macrumors 6502

I think that playing on a pirate server because it is more expensive in your country than the US because of your currency exchange rate is just an excuse for stealing. I know my country has a good economical situation and currently living in Argentina is a disaster - again, economically speaking - (Corralito anyone?) but one has to live with the fact that you can't have everything you desire in life. If it is so important to play, save for it.