WoW Beta Monday

Discussion in 'Games' started by P-Worm, Mar 12, 2004.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I don't know if this is true, but I heard that the World of Warcraft Beta will start Monday. Don't get after me if this is nothing, just relaying the info.

If anyone gets picked, make sure you tell us and tell us what it is like!

P-Worm

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Somehow me thinks there will be an NDA... which means we won't hear too much about it for awhile.

3. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. But I'm still interested to know if any people here get in. Who signed up? I know I did.

P-Worm

4. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

There is not going to be an NDA, and I don't believe Beta will start Monday, as no one has gotten their Beta emails yet. Also, AFAIK, they will be sending out discs, and if so I KNOW I would have known if anyone got the discs yet.

I wouldn't buy this rumor.

Also note that Tigole said very recently that the skill system is being reworked, and as of 3-10 Q&A the racial trait system was undergoing work. They're not starting Beta until they're done with that, which will be probably a couple of weeks at least I'm sure. Look for April.

5. LoadRunner macrumors member

Last week blizzard told their wow forum that they would be announcing the beta a few days before the e-mails are scent out.

6. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

That's what I'm talking about, not the game itself, just the announcement of who 'won.'

P-Worm

7. LoadRunner macrumors member

Well from what I understand when they do announce the beta it will be an announcement that there going to be sending out the e-mails soon. I'd be very happy if they did do the beta on monday. But... Ya not holding my breath.

Do you mean the contests on fan sites will begin on monday?

8. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I don't know a thing about a fan site contest. What is it?

P-Worm

9. LoadRunner macrumors member

Blizzards' legal reps have given the green light to give the fan site free beta account. It sound like they want them to be used to drum up excitement. Blizzard used the word competition so my guess would be raffles or some sort of survey were they ask questions about blizzard, wow, and warcraft history.

10. briankonar macrumors regular

competition? ha

you'd think blizzard would have announced any form of competition. fortunately, blizzard chooses a wide range of users based upon their setups, not who submitted their request first or who knows whom thankfully. i've been told that they are interested in having mepartake in the demo due to my system setu (which is 66 mhz shy of the 1 ghz min. req. mark) and the fact that I use a Revolution 7.1 (which they are interested in maintaining compatibility with). I love blizzard :cool: .
    Now I just hope this support dude wasn't blowing smoke up my a$$. :confused:

11. Golem macrumors 6502

12. Golem macrumors 6502

13. LoadRunner macrumors member

Yep so there is the regular beta that every one was allowed to apply in, and then there the fan site give away. Just another chance to get into the beta.

So what do you think of Revolution 7.1? I've been thinking purchasing one, but I know the old sound blaster had horrible drivers, and decreased performance in q3a. Witch is why I'd be interested in your option of the Revolution.

14. Golem macrumors 6502

Beta is out for PC

Well its finally out.

A little tidbit I read.

Originally posted by kale717
    Just curious Samus, but how did you get in the alpha? I never remember seeing anything about signups, etc

People who work at Blizzard hand picked their friends and family to test the alpha, though not everyone picked this way was eligable. If you were female or had a Mac, you were pretty much a shoe-in though. IIRC, Mac users made up 10% of the alpha.

Link

15. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Got email from Blizzard

Congratulations!* You have been selected to participate in the upcoming
    second phase of the World of Warcraft(tm) beta test!

The first phase has just begun, and we wanted to let you know that your turn
    is right around the corner.* In just a few weeks, we'll be emailing you the
    information you'll need to create your account, download the World of
    Warcraft beta, and start playing!

Until then, please be patient and do not contact us to inquire about the
    beta test. In addition to sending you the email mentioned above, we will
    also make an announcement on our Beta Community Site --
    http://www.worldofwarcraft.com -- when your phase of the beta test has
    started. Please feel free to start browsing that site now for a variety of
    information on the World of Warcraft beta, such as news updates and basic
    tips on playing the game.

See ya in Azeroth soon!

Donna "Katricia" Anthony
    Community Manager
    World of Warcraft

16. Kev6 macrumors newbie

Yep, I got the same email too ^_^. Hopefully Blizzard won't take too long to release phase 2. Judging from the amount of people currently online, I don't think more then 3-4k were let into Phase 1.

17. briankonar macrumors regular

the revolution 7.1's driver's could use more "polish" but they are definitely well thought out with plenty of options (it's an actual app that acts like a pref pane which pisses me off).

the sound quality is top notch, Total Harmonic Distortion is like .03% (absolutely no noticeable hiss from my Logitech Z-680's). I use the Digital Output, but it has connections for analog as well as line and mic in.

I have nothing bad to say about the Revolution other than the System Preferences implementation sucks. The hardware is top notch.

18. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

I got in phase 1 :D unfortunatly im still downloading the 2 gig file via bitTorrent because im behind a firewall...anyone else that got in willing to do a direct transfer with me?

19. LoadRunner macrumors member

Your lucky, I didn't get in phase one or two. It's really bumming me out, but there isn't much I can do about it. Have fun :)

20. hpirs4n macrumors newbie

Wow, i had been fallowing the release of the beta forever and didn't even get in. :( MAJOR bummer! Oh well, i guess i can wait till the open beta comes out... whenever that is supposed to happen...