Wow, callibrating Macbook Pro battery really makes a difference!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nylon, Apr 16, 2006.

1. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

Wow callibrating my MBP battery improved my MBP battery life by 45 minutes to an hour. I was only getting around 3 hours of battery life on a full charge initially and now I get around 3:45 to 4 hours. At least that's what the indicator says.

Too bad this machine is going back. I'm still waiting for a return shipping label from Apple as they are sending me a new machine due to a logic board error. I've had about a week to play with this one though and it's like being on crack!!!

2. Scratchbc macrumors newbie

how can I find out if I have a bad logic board?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, calibrating the battery is a very good idea. It should ideally be done the first time you use a battery and then once a month from there on in. It's done to ensure the computer know exactly how much charge the battery can take. If there is a discrepancy between the computer's idea of the battery's charge and the actual battery's charge then you can get a undercharging (inefficient) or overcharging (dangerous for your battery).

Tell us the symptoms. Being the backbone of our computer, logic board failures can have all sorts of symptoms. :)

4. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Or you could just run the extended hardware test. Put in install disc 1 and hold down D while starting up.

5. sabor macrumors regular

sabor

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

What are the specs. of your MBP? Also how bright is the screen when you use it (turned down a couple lines or more)? Sorry to hear your trouble and hope the next MBP works like a champ for you :)

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Run the battery all the way down until it puts itself into sleep mode, then charge it up to 100%

you should do it about once a month.

8. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i thought u only needed to calibrate the battery once when u first got it.

9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

there's lots of info here, on the official apple support page regarding this.

10. nylon thread starter macrumors 6502a

nylon

I ran the extended hardware test by booting of the install dvd while pressing the 'D' key. It gave me a hardware error code which tech support told me was a logic board problem.

11. nylon thread starter macrumors 6502a

nylon

I have a 2.0 MBP with 7200rpm drive and 2GB Ram. The brightness is set to 6 bars & the power management is set to 'Better Battery Life'.

Obviously when I'm on battery I do nothing more than surfing, office apps and iLife stuff (excluding hard rendering etc).

12. PatrickF macrumors 6502

The calibration instructions are slightly different for the MBP.

You'll have to charge up the laptop fully and leave the power adapter plugged in for at least 2 hours after it's charged.

Then run it down until it switches itself off and leave it switched off for at least 5 hours before charging it up again.