WoW Character Build Help

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacEffects, Mar 22, 2006.

1. MacEffects macrumors 6502

Ok folks here is the deal...

I have a level 60 Warlock (Its not like I am trying to brag, this took forever) and I have never really understood the Build of the guys, all I know is that I have not messed with it at all...

What happened, other the Horde (Yeah I'm Alliance) guys even lower then me can and have always kicked my butt, I think I am decent a playing my character however, it just maybe that I for example was level 43 I remember getting beat by a 36 Troll Hunter, now I used all my talent points always, but mainly randomly. I know that since my guy only can use cloth be a warlock this can be a problem.

I do have the the DOTs on the 1-3 keys, and use them before Shadowbolts, etc... I keep up on all my training. I would really like to be able to use the warlock to the fullest of its potential, so what should I do, I need some help.

This is for a PvP Server

See being that I run all the time I had to get my Epic Mount :p Please tell me what would be best build for doing the following:

• One on one attacking of Horde or Dueling
    • Getting out of somewhere I shouldn't be :D
    • Killing many 10 level lower enemies
    • And frankly what ever would keep me from keep on losing

I have had it on mainly Destruction, then Demonology, and then a mainly Destruction, followed by Affliction, and some Demonology. And now we are started with Nothing so you all can tell how to build him :)

The main thing I need is to concur the horde encounters and win
    ;) I need like the basics on what ones to do. Warlocks are one of those classes I found that are not only complicated but reply greatly on the Build of the guy. Therefore I ask you guys for help.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!!

2. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

You should check out the WoW forums: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com

You will find much more info there than you will here. You should be able to re-do your talent points.

Generally, randomly using them in a balanced, even through-out way seems like a good idea, but it isnt.

In most cases, it's best to use them in just 2 sections (such as marksmenship and beast mastery only, if you were a hunter).

As a warlock, you should be OWNING things. There is no way such a low level hunter should have beat you at that level.

Do you have the very best gear you can afford? Do you use professions to earn as much money as possible to constantly upgrade and get the best gear?

Sounds like a dumb question: but are you visiting the warlock trainer and learning the best talents?

You're level 60 now, so you should be raiding MC and getting epic gear.

I don't think it's your talent tree alone (though that is a huge factor) but the hunter beating you makes me think maybe your gear is very low level or something else.

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

1ST AND ONLY RULE OF PVP

Make a mistake, only one and your dead 5 seconds later.

:eek:

4. MacEffects thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, firstly yes this is something I have done since level 6, going to a warlock trainer and getting every training I could get. I have all the best gear that I can afford now, and enchant all of my items (since I am a lvl 300 Enchanter). I have just paid for my Epic Mount, so I don't know how well I could afford any more gear, I have not done MC and to be honest I have no idea what it is :eek: Okay, this aside I suppose something else might be how I play the Warlock, how should I have this setup? I use they keypad 1 to = keys. What should be first, and last? I go from 1 and then keep going down the line (unless the situation calls for something else).

Firstly the Warlock class is a good class right? I will be posting screen shots ASAP of my guy. But I hope you guys might be able to offer more help, as I am sure this might be a common thing, well not amongst level 60's but I'm just late fixing this:D I can redo my Build Tree No Problem it was just a lot of gold :eek: Well, any help would be great.

5. MacEffects thread starter macrumors 6502

This may well be a cause for this too... I think more work and a Build as well as new keypad setup, I might be able to own em. Also should I get Warcraft keyboard, I hate since I use a laptop, but IDK. Well advice would be great!:D

Thanks Again!

6. MacEffects thread starter macrumors 6502

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Buy the best mana/healing potions you can.

get as many buffs as you can.

And here is the main thing.

In a PVP battle the 2 factions form 2 "waves" that roll backwards and forwards against each other.

Any player left out of there "wave" will be quickly singled out and killed.

So, like animals that form massive flocks in the great plains of Africa for protection.

MAKE SURE YOU KEEP AN EYE ON THE PLAYER NEXT TO YOU.

8. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Hi. Launch day/beta warlock, 60 as well. Don't play on a PvP server, although I used to.

IMO, the best well-rounded PvP build is the standard Demonology spec. Dip into affliction only for Improved LT and 11 into Destruction for Shadowburn; everything else in to Demonology.

Demonic Embrace plus improved VW/Imp and Soul Link and you're a monster in PvP. You should have easily nearly 4K of health on your own and with SL, you get your pet for another 30%. With the blueberry, that's effectively another 1500 health.

As for tactics, here's my default bindings.
    ` - Pet attack/seduce
    1 - Wand
    2 - Shadowbolt
    3 - Immolate (Dot)
    4 - Curse of Agony (insta DoT)
    5 - Corruption (insta DoT)
    6 - Death Coil

Row above:
    F1 - Shadowburn!
    F2 - Rain of Fire
    F3 - Cure of Elements/Shadow (your choice)
    F4 - Fear
    F5 - Life Tap

There are, of course, more, but these are the big ones you'll use alot in PvP or even solo/raid play.

I love Demonology because it gives me so many options. With the improved imp and improved blood pact my DPS and health are just nuts. Keep him stealthed and he's a free health battery. Improved lifestone for 1200+ emergency health whenever you need it. I dare anyone to kill you w/ 6.5K of health! :eek:

Or, use the succy and improved lash of pain. She does amazing DPS; I can clear 250dps easily in this build with my +shadow gear. Use seduction for CC.

Big blue is the same as the imp, except he really doesn't do anything. Sac him for a shield or just use his health as your own.

Perhaps the best PvP pet is the fellhunter. He can remove buffs, remove debuffs, and is a pretty good fighter.

Of course, once you have Master Demonologist, here's where Demonology REALLY shines! You get a free effect with your pet out / sacrificed. (Sadly, you use the SL when you sac your pet, so no health battery) :(

Imp: +20% threat reduction (useless in PvP) / sac for +10% fire damage
    BB: +10% damage reduction / sac 5% health regen (OMFG!)
    Succy: +10% total damage / sac +15% shadow damage
    Fellhunter: +60 to all resists ( :eek: ) / sac for 5% mana regen (OMFG!)

If you keep your points in Demonology you can also get master summoner and get an insta-pet every 15 minutes. In PvP this can be a great boon.

Depending on the pet you have out (or sacrificed) there are tons of strategies, mostly CC or kiting your foe and then hitting them with your 1.2K DoTs and spamming Shadowbolts/Shadowburn. Use Death Coil for a free health boost and a chance to get off another Fear/Shadowbolt.

I am presuming, of course, you have plenty of +shadow gear. Demonology doesn't have the crazy crits of a SM/Ruin build, but you get better steady damage and VASTLY improved survivability.

(Note, all figures off the top of my head; please don't bust my chops by getting a number close but wrong.)

9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

It could be talents. Warlock is a very difficult class to play. The talent builds really fuction differently. It tooke me a long time to adjust from SM/Ruin to Demonology for example; it's a totally different playstyle.

In some classes talents are just perks and tweaks to a class. For the warlock every talent build totally changes how the charcter needs to be played. I've spent a lot of gold on the test server playing with builds because of this. :)

10. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

True, to an extent. But Warlocks are like the 'easy button' of WoW. Warlocks easily own mobs and other players of a similar level in PvP.

If a player 7 levels lower than you beats you, when you are playing as one of the best classes in the game, the talent tree alone is not to blame.

A 43 Warlock with practically 0/0/0 in his talent tree should have still won.

11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Is this the part where you just quote the WoW forums and say:

"lrn2ply n00b"

'Cause that's what it sounds like you're saying. I know at level 40ish I was still routinely getting owned because of my inexperience. But then, I consider myself a casual player.

12. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Surely not, but anyone who has dedicated the time to get to lvl 43 can in no way be considered "inexperienced."

It takes a lot of play time to get that far, and inexperience cannot be used as an excuse at level 43.

But, it still would never hurt to, as you say, "lrn2plyn00b." ;)

13. MacEffects thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry for not getting back to this Thread I did not know there were replies :eek: Anyway, that was like the worst case that happened to me, I will be going all Demonology, Minor Affliction, Minor Destruction for Shadow Bolt Crit Power. And I would have to say anything over 20 your experienced enough, then again I too am a causal player and this is my first character - so I don't know :D

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

a 36 hunter? buwahahahahaha.

i've beaten 38 hunters with my 35 priest.