WOW- cosmo add on for MAC

Discussion in 'Games' started by bimmerjack, Jan 13, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

PC players have this add on to their world of warcraft game called Cosmo, making their game experiance a lot better. Those extra skill bars really make a big difference when playing in the game. I am wondering if there is such add-on for Mac? If anyone knows, please let me know.
    thanks guys

2. macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

There is indeed. Its called Cosmos. ;-) but really it can be used on mac too ignore Cosmos.exe thats for the thottbot upload. To install simply copy addons and framexml into your interface folder.

3. macrumors 65816

patseguin

What is the URL to this add-on? I'm curious exactly what it does.

4. macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

www.cosmosui.com I think.

It adds many little features to wow just to make it more user friendly. The main reason for using it is the addition of a second spell bar and side bars. Blizzard does let you use it and around 70% of every one playing wow does.

5. macrumors regular

iBert

I tried Cosmos on my G5. And some errors sometimes. so I got rid of it.

The one i'm using now is GypsyMod. Also, you can check wowcensus

6. macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

A little bit off subject here but does wow ever lock up and freeze on your G5, so you can't force quite it? Happens allot on mine but never once on my iBook.

7. macrumors 68040

killmoms

Cosmos full gave me errors, but all I ever use is the Cosmos Lite Alpha. It's been perfect for me so far, and I love it. Makes playing the game a lot nicer. All those extra bars are very convenient.

8. macrumors 6502

how are u guys running these programs? I only see them avail for the pc. both cosmos and GypsyMod?

9. macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

See my above post on how to install.

10. macrumors 68000

i don't play WOW, but my G5 locked up all the time when i was still trying to play games on it. I finally quit trying because the performance was so embarrassing and because the lock-ups were driving me nuts.

my locking-up situation basically amounted to this:

• play 3d game (several of them were giving me trouble...mainly Unreal-based ones)
    • after a while, game screen locks up
    • sound continues going on the background...things are still happening, but not drawing on the screen
    • sound eventually gets stuck in infinite loop and sometimes stops all together
    •*can't alt-tab out or force quit. Nothing ever changes on the screen at all once this happens
    • hold down power button and restart the G5

This happened basically once or twice for every hour that I tried to play any 3d full screen game.

I was able to play Halo in a window (at 640x480, it runs pretty well) on my G5 with the desktop resolution set at 1600x1200 (native on my 21" panel) for much longer periods of time without the locking up...but it still does it sometimes.

Anyway, playing one game in a 4" window on a 21" screen isn't what I call a very exciting gaming experience.

I tried all of the obvious stuff to get my machine to work. Called apple. They suggested I try a reformat and reinstall, among other things.

Fine. Didn't help.

removed all the non-apple RAM...crashes in games happened even faster
    removed the apple RAM only...crashes happened as normal
    removed and replaced the grahphics card...no change
    flashed the PRAM...nothing
    "fixed permissions" ...nope
    the list goes on...basically, it isn't worth it to me to try anymore, because even if i did get it running well, it would be at 1/2 the resolution that my PC runs it, and with the details turned off...I'd rather not have to move back and forth, but i dont' have much choice.

BTW, this is a first-revision dual 1.8 G5 with the 5200 64 and a 320GB RAID 0 array, Samsung SM213T and 2.5 GB of Corsair big-money RAM.

11. macrumors 6502

Have you upgraded to the latest OS X ?

There was a bug like this in 10.3.5 and earlier.

12. macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

the latest version of cosmos works fine with WoW on mac. just copy the 'interface' folder into the wow folder...

13. macrumors newbie

I don't have a fancy G5, I have a G4 with a GeForce3 Ti 128 card...but I can run these games pretty well...I wonder if that low-end 5200 card is the problem? As I said, I don't have the G5 and I'm not super-for-sure the 5200 64 you're listing is even the vid card, but I think the numbers look familiar. If you're trying to do it on that card, that might be part of the problem. As far as the screen blanking out, I'm experiencing it a little bit in WoW, but I find that if I switch from windowed mode (where it usually happens) to the full screen mode it makes it redraw the screen and then works fine.

I remember a vid card that I had in a pc where the fan died on the card. It caused all kinds of lockups whenever the card got used for any kind of intensive processes. It worked fine rendering the desktop and such, but once a game started dumping data on it, it would overheat and the freeze the system.

Not sure if it helps, but maybe at least the window-full screen trick will help someone.

BTW Cosmos Alpha runs great on my system. I've never had it lock up. Just put the files in your interface folder like the above poster said. You can't upload your char profile though, (I don't think so anyway, if you can let me know!) which is kind of disappointing. Have fun, and if you're on the alleria server, send me a tell sometime! "robthebrave"

Rob

14. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Never had a problem with the Cosmos UI (alpha only) on any of my Macs. The only time it doesn't work is right after a patch, and the Cosmos folks update it pretty darned quickly.

I cannot play without Cosmos.

YA URL is: http://www.cosmosui.org

15. macrumors regular

I cannot play without Cosmos.

Why is this exactly?

Being a mage, I'd love the extra spell bar, but don't want to mess around with the files for fear of messing up my character.

16. macrumors 604

ravenvii

Your characters are stored on the WoW servers, not on your computer. So it's impossible for you to mess up your characters.

17. macrumors 601

HiRez

These use a standard Blizzard UI extension API for WoW, so they're the same on both PC and Mac (nice, huh?). The only thing you can't run are any .exe installer files, but usually installing mods is as easy as unzipping the archive and dragging the files into one of the WoW folders.

18. macrumors 6502a

markjones05

19. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes. Don't download Cosmos.exe :)

Download Cosmos_Alpha.zip. Unzip it. Open the unzipped directory. Put the contents of the Interface directory in the Interface in your WoW directory. Run Wow. Now you have Cosmos.

20. Moderator emeritus

yellow

There are many reasons why I hate having to play WoW w/o Cosmos. But as noted by someone else, you cannot mess up your character.

21. macrumors 65816

patseguin

I just installed Cosmos last night and can't imagine how I got this far without it!

22. macrumors regular

iBert

Sorry for the late response, very late. Guess too much WoW.
    I never had a problem with WoW crashing. Only recently and it crashed twice. But, can't really say it was gypsyMod. The only one problem i ever got with gypsyMod was on my PB. And it was that the UI wasn't working, just showed the normal UI that comes with game.

But now, I'm palying on my P4. That way i don't need to buy new RAM or Video Card. :D

23. macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Ah ok now on a related subject does wow ever fail to display the screen after from going into full screen.

24. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Speaking for myself..

Yes, but only on my stock 64MB ATI card in an MDD.
    The nVidia and ATI mobility have never had that problem.

25. macrumors 68040

killmoms

In related news, I just discovered smart self-cast. How did I ever live without this? Woot woot Cosmos!

I've had trouble with the screen not displaying correctly sometimes when I go to Windowed mode, but usually going back to full screen and then BACK to Windowed mode clears it right up. But this problem is very occasional. Then again, I usually play on my PC when I'm near it.