WoW crashing Intel iMac

Discussion in 'Games' started by uvula, Apr 22, 2006.

1. uvula macrumors newbie

Hi -

So, last night, my 17" Intel crashed 5 times in a period of two hours. Character freezes, music continues, beach ball spins and spins, and tfter a while all I can do is physically hit the power key.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

A session would last anywhere between 10 and 20 minutes.

I currrently have the stock 512 RAM, but would think that a RAM issue would just make things *slower*, not *crash* - I hope I'm wrong and this issue will be fixed with more RAM.

Anyone have any problems similar to this one?

Thanks very much.

2. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I've experienced the same thing a few times. I have a 20" with 256 VRAM and 2 GB of RAM so I didn't think I would experience an problems playing music while playing WoW at the same time. It's only happened to me a about 6 or 7 times in a 3 months but it's annoying none the less. However a few of those times I was also running Handbrake in the background as well as having Safari open so I attribute those times to taxing the processor to much.

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I don't think that processor usage would crash an app. Surely it would just carry on, but at a lower frame rate?

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

WoW does crash on me when i use my PC, my Mac or my Mac running XP. Most of the times its when i have many applications on at the same time. WoW does not crash a lot maybe once every month or so.

5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I would have assumed the same thing but maybe it's just a problem with WoW. I've had have multiple times when I'm using nearly 100% of both cores and don't experience any problems. The only time I've ever occurred any problem have been when I'm playing WoW.

6. uvula thread starter macrumors newbie

It's good (???) to hear that others are experiencing a similar thing.

I just wanted to clarify that this is happening when WoW is the only app running - the music I was referring to was the in-game music.

Frozen screen, spinny beachball, keyboard not responsive, mouse moves around but isn't responsive, and the only remedy is to physically hit the power button.

Maybe this is a Blizzard issue, and not an issue with my new machine!

Thanks for your replies.