Wow! Dell's can be ok..i guess

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rapmastac1, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Well, our school just got a grant over the summer. And we used to use iMac G3's in class for our multimedia projects. Well, I'm in multimedia 2, and we just got all brand new computers. We got 35 Dell XPS 600 computer systems, all with 17inch flatscreens and everything. It is so sweet, and these comps are waaaaaaay fast. I can't believe this is what I'm going to be using for my canvas, I'm so excited. And, becuase of this, I have made a decision. Well, I was going to get an Apple Cinema Display (30inch) but have changed my mind. I was playing around with the display, and I noticed you can titl, swivel, hieghten/lower, and rotate the screen, I absolutely loved this. And looking at the cinema display, i thot, it cant do more than my current lcd can, and that is tilt. So I have decided to go for functionality over looks, and the Dell display don't look to bad either. So I'm going to get the Dell Ultrasharp 24inch display, for 300 less, I am getting an inch, media card reader (My usb reader got damaged, so yay), and I can hook up my xbox up to the display. All this and 300 less, and I didn't have to pay another 300 for a special cable setup box, and 40 for two calbes from apple, still need to get the MiniDVI to VGA hook up tho. But, as i was saying, these comps our school got are sooooo coool. Just wanted to drop that by.

2. KevAllen83 macrumors member

Seems like you praised the monitor a lot more over the actual computer.

Look around, a lot of people agree with you on the monitor. Despite being a Mac forum, a lot of people still think the displays are way overpriced for what you get, and many of them do turn to the Dell displays.

And wait for that computer to be used for a few weeks, it'll slow down plenty if people use it for internet ;)

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Exactly. All Windows machines are fast for the first few weeks. After a bit of use they slow riiight down though...

4. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Yep after a couple weeks its time to reinstall XP.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Our school has to reinstall XP on each of their machines every 7 weeks or so. Shockingly bad OS...

6. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Sounds like a sweet computer lab to me, congrats! As for displays, I'm thinking you meant that you were going to get a 23" cinema display but now have opted for the 24" Dell, correct? Because a 30" CD would be more than $300 more than a 24" Dell. The price difference is closer to $1200, even with edu pricing. Anyway, glad to hear about the school lab!

7. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

What an odd story. Oh well, I'd rather be safe then dead.

9. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Well hey, the computer can't be that great. Here's what you said about the computer itself.

Here's what you said about the display alone.
    I won't lie, they're nice computers, but just wait until the new feeling wares off and they start crashing. :rolleyes:

10. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

11. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

ha ha, you really put what I said in perspective, LOL!

As far as the old imacs, they are in the back, yes I already asked if I could purchase one, but he said the school doesn't own them, the district does, so they will sell them sometime later thsi year (IF any of you remember the thread of that guy gettin some macs for about 35 bucks from one of those sales) That same kinda thing, so sorry, I can't get one for free, or even buy one, and send it to anybody.

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I've had to reimage numerous PCs at my university this week because they all were crashing and not working right. Not a fun thing to do.

13. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

the computers at my school delete everything on the actual computer everytime you log out...so you have to save everything to your personal (U:) drive on the network...

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

That's how it is for us, too, but even when we run the image, things just slow down and the computer starts to crash.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Dell's LCD manufacturer gives them a good deal on a nice product that they can pass on to you.

The computers might not be bad if you ran something other than a Microsoft OS on them.

16. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Yeah, that is how our school is too. We have an "H" drive, and if you know one of the teachers, or take a certain class, you can raise ur "H" drive from 64mb, to 2gigs. Our school jus got a huge memory upgrade, the Multimedia room alone (1 out of 6 tech rooms) has over 2 tb of storage. Some teachers dont' like us bringing flash drives and stuff, so I just save it in multimedia (a song, a project, other stuff of the like) and I can view it from her room, and I never brough in a flash drive, and I have over 2 gigs to save crap. It's really cool.

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Windows PC's don't get babied like many Macs do, this is of course partially because they're more difficult to baby.

However I'm typing on a PC that hasn't had it's Windows re-installed for 3 years. It's had two motherboard changes in the meanwhile, and a third processor change this year (to a 4200+ X2, roughly comparable to the higher-end Yonahs). Didn't reinstall the OS on any of the occasions. Furthermore it's gone through multiple changes of soundcards, video adapters, SLI, back to single card and then back again to SLI. It's got three years worth of partially uninstalled crap, preferences, etc in it. All I've done is to generally look after it by keeping things up to date and doing minimal housekeeping just as you'd do on a Mac.

Using Firefox, the web browsing experience is faster, more compatible and more reliable than doing the same on the MacBook Pro (which is of course still a nicer experience). Application response is if anything, better than comparable apps on the MBP although it loses out in some other stuff. Generally speaking though it is as fast as it should be.

And you know what? I can't remember the last time I had a BSOD on this machine. A computer lab is quite a hostile environment - Substituting Macs, put in people who don't fully understand them to look after them and you'll probably find broadly similar issues.

And I've noticed that airlines profiling Dells are also now profiling Apples. Hugely ironically, my Sony's are unaffected.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

New Dells are faster then iMac G3s..wow I need to buy me some Dells!

19. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

You say that they are fast. Is that comparewd to the iMac G£'s because they were slow with a capital S??

20. iShane macrumors 6502a

I used a Gateway laptop today for church. It took atleast 15-20 seconds to respond to every thing I did. It was horrible. Either theres something wrong with that lappy or I am NOT misssing anything in the PC world.