WoW - don't use Wacom tablet

Discussion in 'Games' started by atari1356, Jan 25, 2005.

1. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I've posted to a few of the threads about World of Warcraft speeds issues - and was having some problems where doing certain things with the interface (like adding a new talent to the hotkey bar) would be really slow. So I thought that the Mac WoW client wasn't as good as the PC one...

Well, last night I bought a Logitech Mouseman trackball and fired up WoW and to my surprise the interface speed issues were no longer there. Apparently the problem was not with WoW, but with the Wacom tablet & mouse I was using while playing... the drivers for it must have some delays, which cause problems with the game.

So, I'm thrilled with my new trackball and WoW's performance. :) I'll just use the Wacom tablet for Photoshop now ...

2. brap macrumors 68000

Wacom's tablet driver is notoriously CPU-hungry. For no reason at all - you're best off not playing any games with them, wherever possible.

3. applekid macrumors 68020

Wow. That's good to know. I doubt it'll make a big enough difference with my games or even my machine itself though. It seemed pretty speedy (with day-to-day tasks) with or without the tablet.

4. brap macrumors 68000

Next time you get chance, open Activity Monitor for a few minutes, and watch from the corner of your eye. You'll likely notice some nasty spikes of activity from TabletDriver. Not something that matters during day-to-day usage, but when you're in a frag-fest and your framerate stutters you'll notice ;)

Hmm... here ya go, mine's connected right now and doing the same thing. Imagine playing UT2004 and getting 13-15% CPU time eaten for a few seconds?

Attached Files:

5. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Wow! I didn't know that. And I thought about getting a Wacom Tablet for games like Command & Conquer.. are there any other tablets less processor-hungry?