WoW experience on iBook

Discussion in 'Games' started by lasuther, Mar 28, 2005.

1. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Over the weekend my friend invited me over to his house to try World of Warcraft. He had a free 10 day pass and wanted me to try it. My friend was playing WoW on this system:

17” PowerBook, 1 GHz, 1 Gig Ram, 64MB ATI graphics card.
    The game seemed to run fine on his machine. His video settings were max resolution 1440x900, max textures, but everything else was at the minimum.

It took over three hours to get it installed on my iBook
    12” iBook, 800 MHz, 640 MB Ram, 32MB ATI graphics card.
    I got a warning saying my machine didn’t meet the minimum specifications, but we installed it anyway. I had to run the video settings at the minimum resolution 800x600, and everything else was at minimum.

I decided on a human fighter because I wanted something straight forward and basic to learn the game. The game could get choppy in extremely high traffic areas, but overall I didn’t have any big problems. Combat was fine, and I found the game to be very playable. While graphics were turned to the minimum, it is still one of the best looking games I've seen on my iBook. I didn’t think to bring a mouse so I used the keyboard and trackpad. I got used to that quickly and had no problems without a mouse. I was able to get my character up to level 11 by the end of the weekend and now I’m completely hooked. I have about a week left of my free pass, so I hope to do a lot of playing. But my wife will probably have a problem with that.

While in my opinion WoW is playable on an iBook, I’m not going to buy the game until I get a better machine to run it on. If I had to buy a machine today, it would probably be a 15” base PowerBook at $1800 edu price. While I really want the 128MB graphics card, I can’t justify the extra $400+ to upgrade to the 15” Superdrive or $600+ to the 17”. Right now I’m going to wait and for the next iBook update. If it gets the 64MB NVIDIA, I might just pick up another iBook 12”. But I doubt that will happen because it would probably put the iBook too close to the PowerBook.

Right now all I can think about is getting to the next level. I need to feed my addiction.

lasuther

2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

What kind of internet connection do you have? Did you play it over airport? I got the game already, it was one of the last ones avaliable in Austria, just don't know if I should start it on my powerbook (see my sig) or wait until I have the new 15" powerbook I'm planing to buy anyway in 2 weeks.

3. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Go to the AH(Auction House) in IF(Ironforge). Both of my machines normally choke hard there. But otherwise, welcome to the world of warcrack.

4. lasuther thread starter macrumors 6502a

I play over cable modem on a aiport express wireless network. I don't see a reason not to start playing now your your 12" PowerBook. I believe it is just as powerful as my iBook. It does take a few hours to load and update, but if you have 4 gigs free and some time do it. You will need to run every video option at the minimum, but the game still looks amazing. You will probably run into problems when you go to really high volume areas. But I'm at level 11 and I haven't gone to Auction House or Iron Forge yet. I'm still doing beginner quests to level up. If you can afford it, get the graphics card upgrade. Otherwise, it runs fine on a 64MB ATI.

5. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Internet speed does not really affect WoW. I've played on dial up without a problem. What does effect it is latency. When I try to play at my university I get a ping of about 1500-3000ms, but i download stuff at 1.5 Meg-byte pre second.

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

The great thing about WoW is you can install it or play it anywhere. I personally try to avoid that, because I like immersing myself, but if you really wanted to play before you get your new comp... :)

And even my friend with AMD64 and a 6800GT lags in Ironforge and the other busy places... that's when it's more of a server/connection issue than graphics (although processor speed is also tested here).

And oh yeah, human warriors rock!

7. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Thanks for the advice. Now I'm off installing...

8. LaughingBlood macrumors newbie

My ibook experience

I have the exact same ibook setup as you do (to the OP).

I have either reduced all video options to minimum or turned them off. Like you say even with no video options it's still a gorgeous game to play. I get really good fps with the latest patch about 30-35 indoors to about 15-25 outside which plays just fine for me. Orgrimmar however is another story I get down to like 4 fps during peak times which is a little annoying but when I'm doing instances in full groups aggroing like 6 mobs I have great fps still. All in all it will play fine for everything I have done so far.

However, I'm level 43 now and I plan on raiding Ironforge soon and that would just be suicide for me as huge raids tend to kill m framerate and I can hear my little gpu screaming and kicking and trying it's best to keep up but it's just not capable. A huge raid on Astrannar with my guild was utterly ridiculous as I couldn't even see what was happening at all. I prolly got around .0000000001 frames a second. This game has has hands down convinced me I need a new Mac.

This summer I'm going to buy the top o de line PowerMac (hopefully 3+gigs processor) dualed, at least 2 gigs of ram with an ATI x800 xt and a 30" LCD. yes..... drool.....