Wow! Extra Education discount for students! Apple developers program

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by debrey, Jun 27, 2006.

1. debrey macrumors member

May 4, 2006
    I hadn't heard of this and I thought people here might be interested (sorry if it is old news):

It is a $99/year program where students (18 and older) get developer tools in the mail. But perhaps as importantly, you can also purchase one system at a significant savings. For example, you can buy a 15" MBP 2.16 Mhz for $2000, rather than the normal education price of $2300.

-- David
  2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I think its sort of irresponsible to advertise it as a simple extra discount, because thats not reall its intention.

Thats just my opinion.
  3. sk1985 macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2006
    Thats actually pretty cool if your getting into coding. Good find.
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Note that it's a one-time-only (once per lifetime) discount. Given that it costs US$99, you need to get a decent system to make it a worthwhile investment.
  5. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Do the prices vary from country to country?

I just bought meself a gift certificate for student member ship today, planning to apply that couple/whatever to a membership towards the end of July :)
  6. coal macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2005
    Portland, OR
    This has been around for a long time. The best part, on top of the discount you'll also receive any OS updates if they occur within the year after you signup. Not bad at all!
  7. turtlebud macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    I joined the student developer connection when I was in school with the intention of getting a g5. I ended up renewing that membership the next year and buying the g5 at the very end of my second year. Still, it was worth the $100 a year because I got 2-3 OS install DVDs (Panther & Tiger) - so I didn't have to buy updates for those two years and when I finally bought my g5, I got it at about a $300 discount over the edu price. So, finally tally:

Cost - $200
    Value - $69 (Edu price for OS) x 2 + $300 (discount on g5 over edu cost) = $438

Net gain - $238. Not bad - and that assume that you didn't sell any of the extra OS install disks.
  8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Jun 21, 2006
    So you can only use the discount once in your lifetime even if you renew the program the following year?
  9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    That's correct.

Edit: To clarify, there are other levels of developer membership that provide you with more discounts. ADC Select members ($500/year) can purchase one discounted system per year. ADC Premier ($3500/year) can purchase ten discounted systems per year.

Edit 2: Link to Apple's statement on the student developer discount.
  10. technicolor macrumors 68000

Dec 21, 2005
    I was going to do this but my school lets us get the macbook pro for $1948 that includes Applecare.

Now I have to decide if I want to get another lappy or not. :D :cool: