WoW folder = 9,38 GB! Why?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Tymmz, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Why is my WoW-folder 9 GB big. Is it safe to delete the update-files

thx

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

holy son of a cracker, i'll need to get a new bigger HD before i install WoW on this macbook when i reactivate my account.

take the files in question out of the WoW folder and see if it still works
    if so then i'd say it's safe.

3. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Probably the best thing to do.

Thx!

4. steelfist macrumors 6502a

it's the maps. you expect the whole world of WoW is tiny? it's friggan huge. nothing you can do about it except for a new HD.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

weird. the wow folder on my pc is "only" 5.6gb. i did install and patch directly to 1.11, with the little 1.11.1 update so idk if that would affect the size.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

5.6 for WoW?

Heh my UT2004 folder is at 7.13 GB right now (5.2 after install) :D

I thought WoW is bigger, maybe 15 GB... :eek:

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

8. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It could be your WDB [might not be correct, but it's similar] and WTF folders which are essentially cache folders with account info, item info, character names and so on. These two folders CAN safely be deleted before you boot up WoW and is actually recommended to do after updates. Especially if you get 'abnormal' lag after an update.

Also, the actual patch files could still be in your WOW folder which if the base install is around 1gb and the other users here claim to have around 5gb those patch files [not the updated files from the patch, the patches themselves] would almost double your WoW folder size. You can spot these update/patch files by their name and icons.

Finally, a few unneeded mb's could be from your interface folder.

If you haven't cleaned up those folders and have had the game for a while they would definitely add up.

Edit: Don't be surprised if the base install becomes around 9gb after the expansion pack. In fact, after I bought the game with the 4 disc installation a 5 disc installation became standard. All those updates add up considerably.

9. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Must admit i was surprised to open my sealed WOW box to find 4 CD-Roms, would have thought a DVD would have been cheaper to make.

And easier to install!

10. madog macrumors 65816

madog

For the most part, everyone has a CD drive in their computer these days but not everyone has a DVD drive. Like me for example :) . I ripped mine out of my Sawtooth G4 [worst CD/DVD drive eva] and replaced it with a much faster and much more reliable CD-RW drive. A Combo or Superdrive was out of the question.

Once AOL starts shipping out billions of free DVD's then it'll be official.

11. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

DVD ROM went pretty much standard about 3-4 years ago, but i can see your argument.

WOW is a very unpleasent game to install - you can feel your life energy draining away watching the progress bar creep along.

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

my g4 cube is 5 years old and it has a dvd drive.

13. Barham macrumors regular

I just deleted all of my update files today. I was having the same issue. I mean, 10 gigs is huge for a single program in my opinion. Yes, the world in the game is large, but 10 gigs is too much. The game itself is really only about 5 gigs. My folder is 5.13 with all of my addons. Go ahead and delete your update files, they're just wasting space.

14. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I got the first generation G4 7 years ago. The DVD drive it came with could not read burned CD's at all and in it's later years had trouble reading new CD/DVD's that were comming out so it wasn't really any good to me at all.

Kind of like how the first generation CD players [Walkmen's, boom boxes, whatever] had trouble and couldn't read burned CD's at all.

Since I'm poor and am still using my 7 year old computer, it's not really worth it for me to get a new DVD drive since whenever I get a new computer it will come with one. So there :(

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

mine can read any cd and any normal DVD and DVD-R's

16. madog macrumors 65816

madog

:(

/cry

Now you've done it. No more off-topic posts fer me.

17. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

WoW stores every bit of the game data on your local machine (maps, textures, models, animations, etc).

The only thing sent over the internet when you play is movement/spell casting/attacking/chat - which is handled by XML and IRC.

This makes it work very well for the servers under high stress and traffic, and very playable on 56k as well.