WoW Frame Rates

Discussion in 'Games' started by Koree, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Koree macrumors 6502

How do i see them. ^^ Should be really good on my G5 right?

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

You hit crtl -r to see the rates.

If you have the 9600xt, the standard card, I would guess you will be getting 20-30 frames outdoors, and 50-70 indoors. It could be better or worse depending on your resolution and graphics settings.

3. Koree thread starter macrumors 6502

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Seeing as how all the servers seem to be down or lagged, I'd have to say my frame rate is about...zero. Not only that but it crashed my G5 so hard I had to do a hard reboot, something I've not had to do for a long, long time. This game sucks so far, I know it's the first few days but this is a travesty after all the testing they did. The game itself looks like it will be great, I'd just like to, you know, actually be able to play it.

5. raiderz182 macrumors regular

yah seriously wtf, wait 2 hours for server to go up, play 5 minutes, down, wait 2 hours play 5 minutes wait, play, wait, play.........

6. robo74 macrumors 6502

I dont think Blizzard thought they would get so many customers so quick... but if they mad X amount of copies to sell... make sure your servers can handle it.

I work alot, but when I am home and have time..I would like to play... so far I have not been able to.

My cousin wants to try it out so bad... but I would be embrassed to give him the 10 day pass right now.

Rob

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

some online are defending this, but I think it's inexcusable. Take your time, and get it right. The game is basically unplayable as it is now. I'm typing this message during the 5 or so minutes it takes me to finish a quest once I have brought the stuff back to the appropriate NPC.

8. rbarris macrumors 6502

Our server group is working around the clock through the holiday weekend to improve performance. We are adding more hardware, tuning software parameters, and doing social engineering like encouraging players to not play just in their time zone's servers, in order to spread the load better. As one of our PR staff alluded to in a local paper article, the demand is well beyond what we had anticipated. 200,000 account creations in the first 24 hours (see worldofwarcraft.com). The server team is acutely aware of how important it is to improve the situation as quickly as possible, and they are being given every resource they need ASAP.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Well, I am very glad to hear that. I realize that you guys are working hard, but this isn't a few bumps along the way, this is the train coming completely off the tracks. Servers down for 8 or more hours, and lag that makes the game unplayable when the servers actually allow log ins. My server, Dalaran, is now down for "extended maintenance" ... apparently it's in such a dire situation that there isn't even an ETA for it working again.

I guess what frustrates me is that all during the Beta, we were told that server capacity was intentionally being crippled to test things out so that you would know what you needed to do to have the retail launch go smoothly. So we put up with the unbearable lag, the server shutdowns, the fact that performing some actions, like mining, were essentially impossible most of the time. Because we were told that it was intentional, and for a good reason. And now, all that just seems like a lie because the retail launch problems make what happened during beta seem tame. There were 500,000 account creations during open beta and many, many more who were turned away. So it's hard to buy the argument that Blizzard couldn't anticipate the demand.

Anyway, it's nothing personal, but I'm sure you understand that it's a very frustrating situation.

10. rbarris macrumors 6502

We understand loud and clear. I could take a lot of time to list off the various factors that are turning out to make retail even harder than the stress test was, but what's the point... the situation is the same until we get all our improvements in place.

11. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

rbarris, if it really is you and you really do work at Blizzard (I don't doubt you are but anyone can create an alias and say they are someone else), a lot of this could have been alleviated by allowing people to move their characters between servers at will. Then you create a self-balancing system. Right now there's a lot of overloaded servers and some lightly loaded, but people don't want to just go to some random server where they can't play with their friends and lose the characters they made elsewhere (not to mention the fact that the new one they choose may just as likely fail anyway, which is what happened to me after I moved to the Shadowsong server that was created to lighten loading. Maybe you only allow people to move a character once per month or something, but an unlimited number of times until the servers get fixed. There could be a centralized character server that does nothing but keep and authenticate all characters, that way they could be used from any world server.

I understand there's going to be problems with a project on such a scale, and I've no doubt Blizzard will get them sorted out and we'll have a fine game, but it's quite a frustrating mess on any number of different levels right now. I mean good grief, the "Login Server" is even down for the WoW forums, you can't even post anything there! The bottom line is that for $50 and $13-$16 each month we expect something more. Good luck though!

12. rbarris macrumors 6502

interesting idea, for me to explain whether this idea would have a positive effect on certain bottlenecks, would require me to say too much about how our server clusters work, and I can't do that.

and if you doubt it's me, my email address is right there, feel free to drop me a note and ask aboot it.

Rob

13. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

Man, I had no idea there were all these problems. I bought my copy on Tuesday but haven't been able to play it yet. Should I return it and wait until later in December when Blizzard irons out these problems (and most likely when I'll have more time to play it)???

14. rbarris macrumors 6502

I'm biased of course, but I would wait out the weekend.

Launch day PR here with some info on what we're dealing with..

link

15. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

No offense to rbarris, but I have no idea why Blizzard, knowing full well that 200,000-plus copies of the game were shipping, chose to keep a system in place that could only handle half that load. I currently own a product that doesn't work as advertised, and I hope some penny-pinching, short-sighted managers take responsibility for it.

Back on topic, when I actually got to play a bit last night, I was getting about 15-23 fps on my G4 iMac.

16. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Rob,

I was one of the Open Beta testers and, unlike a lot of people who played, I was actually trying to help you guys out by working on spotting problems and trying things to see if they would work. That being said, I don't see how the 200,000 number is even remotely an excuse for what's happening. As I recall, the Open Beta was even larger than that and limited to fewer servers, but the problems are now worse.

I understand that you're under NDA and have proprietary issues that you just can't talk about, and it seems likely to me that part of your reason for not allowing character shifts across all locations is the rumored localization of the farms. There's no confirmation or denial expected, of course, but I just wanted to point out to some of the people who haven't been following the development of the game that some controversy erupted not too long ago because of the lockout of global participation. The basic understanding at this point is that people are limited to playing where their billing address is, blocking international grouping and guilds from really being possible. I've heard that it's Vivendi's call on that, but it's not really been concretely established.

However, I'm starting to agree with other people here. I bought the game, I shelled out, and this is just ridiculous. If this were happening on the time I paid for, rather than a free month of access, I would be on the phone with a stop-order on the payment and canceling my account. I love Blizzard and their support for the mac platform, but the launch is horribly bungled.

17. rbarris macrumors 6502

The customer is always right of course and we are doing our best to keep up with the demand. Me, I have an account too and I want to play, and I am going to wait out the weekend and see how the server maintenance shakes out. The situation is evolving by the hour, I am not kidding about the server team working 24/7 through the weekend here.

18. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

I'm not trying to bust your balls here, man. The game's amazing when it works, but the fact that I even have to qualify that is what has so many people upset. The open beta was supposed to fix this, or so most of us thought (I never read anything directly from Blizzard to that effect). It just doesn't make sense that you could have 500,000 people in the beta and then stumble even harder when there are fewer in the first few days.

To be fair, though, I'm only having serious problems during the day. I try to stick to low-traffic servers, in the hope that the load spreads out some, but there's only so much I can do before the buck has to stop. I appreciate the free month I'm getting, but I'd like it a lot better and feel far better about money I've spent if I knew that the lag and queue issues would be resolved immediately.

19. Quobobo macrumors member

That is a good point. Anybody know the reason? I was in the open beta, and although lag was occasionally horrible (item/mail lag in particular), the problems people are having now seem even worse. I guess that people downloading and finishing the installer at different times could have an influence, but how do the problems get worse with less people and more servers?

20. rbarris macrumors 6502

You're asserting that the actual simultaneous logon count in retail is lower than in the beta test, which isn't true. I do not have permission to post numbers yet. They will be eye opening I promise.

If you check out the server list for USA later this weekend you will see that we have been very busy adding new capacity.

21. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It actually works out ok because now I play on some random low-use server and can experiment with things to figure them out. Then I'll know a bit more about what I'm doing when I create my "real" characters on my preferred server(s) later. However, I still think lack of character portability is a serious flaw. If this had been on the table during the design phase I'm sure it would have been technologically possible, if not simple to implement. Maybe it still is possible, although I'm sure it's much harder to graft that onto a system after the fact, once it's in use and stable.

22. robo74 macrumors 6502

While I havent been blessed with a que yet, I really hope everything is in order real soon. I took my CE over to my cousins today for the turkey fest and he was real amazed on how this game was packaged. I gave him my 10 day pass and he installed it on his eMac 1.25. Before he started, I warned him about new game issues, but told him that I hope he can make the best out of the 10 days. I was amazed to see how well it ran on that eMac despite the call for the 64mb card. Today.. I took a EQ Nut and made him a WOW believer. Needless to say, he will be purchasing his own and dropping his EQ account soon! Thanks Blizzard for the hard work on the game, and I hope to see everything near 100% soon. I will be one of the users that will not back down.

Rob

23. shortyjj macrumors regular

Is the lag still bad? I hope to be making a purchase tomorrow... CompUsa for $40

24. JasonL macrumors regular

Well, for anyone interested in PB performance I do have some fps info from my system.

Outdoors I get 28-33 fps. In town (Kharanos, not exactly the 'big city') I get 16-20 fps. Indoors...um, I guess I haven't paid too much attention to those numbers. I'll check that the next time I play.

This game is definitely plenty enjoyable on a recent PB.

Settings are at whatever the default settings are...haven't played with any of them.

25. JLaFrance macrumors member

I also played in the Open Beta and it worked fine on me eMac (1GHZ, 768) Not silky smooth, but acceptable by my standards, and I never knew you could check the frame rates. But I am thinking of a 1.8 ghz imac, and 1.25Mb ram, would the game be "silky smooth" with this config? (ive also got RR if that makes a differance)

And it does seem kinda hard to believe that servers that can handle 500,000 cant handle 200,000, but whatever, i stand behind blizzard 100% becuase....i dunno, they just so cool.

13-$16 seems kinda steep to me....i dunno, how much matinance can servers need? (not trying to be a smart@ss:D , just wondering..)

LaFrance