WoW Framerates

Discussion in 'Games' started by Foggy, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Foggy macrumors 6502a

Just reinstalled WoW after a long absence, during which I have moved from a PC to a Mac. I read about the patch recently that has really helped out the mac versions so was expecting pretty good things. I have a MBP 2.16 Core Duo with 2GB of ram - what kind of framerate should I be expecting? It seems to sit around 25-30 most of the time with all the settings on default - I was sure I read about people getting up to 80? The most I have ever seen was 60 when I was in a small building with nothing about and if I go past those big mobs in undercity by the lifts it drops to about 12.

Is this about normal? Its definately playable but didnt know if I was missing some settings to make it a bit quicker!

Cheers :)

2. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I play on a Power Mac G5 dual 1.8 and have all the settings cranked up and get around 25-30. I believe this to be the norm. I think if I tweeked the setting to a lower style i was getting around 60 or so but did see that much difference, well plus i liked the pretty hi-res textures too. But to answer your question yes i believe anything 25 + is good fo WoW. I know some of you may disagree with me but this is just my opinion. :)

3. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

I have a similar set-up to ijimk except for a Radeon 9600 card. I typically get 20-40 with the ocassional higher value, with the settings at medium to low. I'm ok with those results in general. The one place I'd really like to do better is in 40 man raids. When 40 people pile on the same mob at one time my FPS drops to 4-8. Is there anything I can do to better that?

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Sounds about right for your CD MBP. Turn down the settings a bit if you want faster framerates, or use Bootcamp (shudder).

I love playing on my Mac Pro. With all the settings up the X1900 gives me about 60fps to the 30" ACD at full resolution. In some areas I get up to 120fps. It must be one hell of a card, in one hell of a machine. This is under OS X btw.

Makes for lovely screenies.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Don't use the current state of the servers as a reference point for WoW frame rates. I haven't seen such poor performance on Dragonblight since before they upgraded our server. I had a frame rate of 1 fps or worse last night in the new content making all but the simplest farming impossible.

6. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Try rebooting your MBP before running WoW.

When I do this I can run WoW comfortably on max settings on my MBP.
    When I don't it is pretty unusable.

I'm not sure what triggers the slowdown, but once running fast it keeps running fast.

7. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

that is a good point. I think maybe in about a month or month in a half we will see the servers get back under control. Blizzard should be implementing some "Server Splits" to some very very very populated servers(*cough Icecrown). So give some time before you get upset about your fps, it may be a little while before we get a true accurate reading of your fps.

8. Foggy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool - cheers - just wanted to make sure I hadnt missed anything. Its definately playable with the current framerate so not too worried.

Looking forward to upgrading my current main PC to a Mac Pro - will then play it on that!