WOW game...

Discussion in 'Games' started by daredevil222, Nov 14, 2005.

1. daredevil222 macrumors newbie

I have a powerbook.... (G4 1.33, 256 ram, ati 9700 64)
    and i would like to buy the game w.o.w... but i dont know if i can play it with this hardware...???

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I play World of Warcraft (if that is what you are actually talking about?) on a PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz, 64 MB Radeon 9700, 1.5 GB RAM and it runs fine, your machine looks okay except for the amount of RAM you have, and are you sure you actually have a 9700?

3. Hydra macrumors regular

Hydra

You need more RAM, but other than that your computer will do just fine.

I'm playing the game with iBook, 1.2GHz G4, 768MB RAM and 32MB R9200, runs slow but playable.

So go and get extra 512MB or 1GB of RAM making total of 768MB or 1.25GB.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I used to play on a 1.25 GHz G4, 1.25 GB, and 64 MB 9000. I'm pretty sure they've optimised it a bit since then, so it should run even better now than it did back then :)

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

So, you broke the addiction? :p

I've never played WoW because I'm scared of becoming addicted to it, from what I've heard of gamers who tried the game.

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Runs OK on my 1Ghz 17" PowerBook till you get into ironforge or one of the other cites, then it lags like a bas*ard trying to render all the character movement, still, it only gets problematic on bigger raids in open space, dungeons and instances that are inside cause it less problems.

You will need more RAM, at least 1Gb.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Heh, no, I'm using a better system now :)

Yeah, it's addictive, but I still managed to give it up for 5 months straight. I reopened my account a couple of weeks ago though.

8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Oh, you've done it now.....:D

Welcome back to 3am instances and that feeling of "it's only sleep, I'll catch up later in the week" and "must... level.... up....":rolleyes:

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Had that just 10<delete><delete>30 minutes ago! "I'll just get my skill to 150 then stop". It's now at something like 167 and it's 12:30 here :eek:

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Ha, Warsong Gulch destroyed my sleep patterns....

I've been using WoW as a sort of calm down from work, I thought "just an hour here or there to take the edge off..."

Now I'm in a Guild that hits Instances and big raids and you don't want to let people down do you?

Besides, the Horde are gathering and need to be taught a lesson.....:D

11. daredevil222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i am sure i have ati radeon 9700... i bought it a year before...

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Don't try it. I broke the addiction last month. :)

*must...get...epic...drops....*:p

13. dachil macrumors newbie

Hey

I've been just reading the forum without registering.. but then I decided to register just go give some comment about playing wow on your computer :p

Well Basically, I have the same powerbook that you have (combo drive right? heh) and play WoW. The only thing that you need is more ram. Get atleast 1 giga +.

My other laptop is IBM T41 with 1.6 ghz banias pentium M, 1.25 G ram, ATI 9000 with 32 Mb, I play wow on that computer with resolution of 1024*something. And on my powerbook, I play with native resolution.
    The framerate for both are pretty similar (IBM laptop is like 5~10 framerate over powerbook.. but then I'm not playing on native resolution of the laptop ... which is 1400*1024 or something)

Given that almost all computer games are encoded primarily for PC, it's pretty amazing for powerbook.
    My powerbook has 1.25 Mb of ram.. and when I go to Ironforge in peaktime, fps is about 10. In instances, it's about 30~50 depends on the number of players and mobs displayed.

So playing wow on the powerbook is pretty satisfactory. You definitely need more ram though

14. daredevil222 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok.. thanks a lot for your advise..!! probably i will buy about 1 Giga....
    (yes we have the same powerbook...:) with combo drive...)

15. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Then you have a 15" or 17" powerbook, right? I would say that it would play ok. I play on my 12" pb with 5200go. Normal questing and small 5 person dungons are okay. Large citys, town with lots a people (if they are all dueling then its gets bad), and raid groups, really suck. Its around 5-6fps.

I would guess that your 9700 might fair a bit better, but you are going to want to turn down the resolution as far as you can. That really helps.