WoW Grinding

Discussion in 'Games' started by Macamus Prime, May 4, 2005.

1. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2005
    I don't know if any of you do it. Its not that fun from what I heard, but its the quickest way to level. What you basically do I find an area with enemies you could dispatch pretty quickly and take each one down right after the other.

One of the reasons why I would avoid quests, is that sometimes the ones that are chained, give worthless items (like getting a soul bound dagger for my paladin). Yes, the XP is pretty big at the end of the quest, but I still feel questing is too slow.

Do any of you have tips or advice on grinding? So far, I am a level 35 paladin. Any advice on where I should take it from here? Leveling wise.
  2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Without the quests I would be pretty bored. Good exp, sometimes good items, raises your reputation...
  3. HiRez macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    I would definitely not ignore quests, some have major amounts of experience at the end. Plus, many of them require grinding monsters anyway, so you might as well get the quest experience with it. Just don't feel obligated to do every single quest; some are just not worth it.

For me, I've found the key is to be killing non-elite creatures 1-4 levels below my own level. You won't get as much experience as killing things your level or above, but you can kill them much faster. Also non-running creatures tend to be faster, as you don't have to chase them down or apply and judge Seal of Justice on every one. Try to find quests with these types of monsters.

For you as a mid-30s paladin, you ought to be able to find plenty of stuff in Arathi Highlands, Swamp of Sorrows, Dustwallow Marsh, Desolace, or Stranglethorn Vale to grind on (raptors, panthers, basilisks, etc.). There's also a million quests in STV and Desolace, and good loot as well.
  4. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Best grinding and phat loot is Scarlet Monastery :)

The drops are pretty good and sell pretty well! And there is a lot of stuff to kill!
  5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    Desolace in the undead area for a pally. Crazy ass XP per hour.

Quests are better than grinding. Think about it: just grinding you're earning XP for killing stuff. Quests often tell you to do kill stuff. Load up in a zone with 5-10 quests, go out and do them, earning XP, and then come back and turn them in...BONUS XP.

You don't do quests for the rewards (although some are nice), you do quests to compliment the grinding you're already doing. Quests just hide/soften the grind.

L49 Pally, Icecrown
  6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    I wouldn't do STV until 40 -- the zone is so large that not having a mount will suck a lot of time. Plus you won't be able to do half the quests anyway; STV is a 35-50 zone. At 35 you'll be questing waaaay tooooo sloooow. At 40 you can load up on a good 10+ quests and go nuts, banging them out. STV is crazy XP with all the quests and mosters there.

Arathi and Swamp of Sorrows are good choices, as is Desolace. I prefer Desolace. I wouldn't do Dustwallow -- hard to find critters and a pretty 'empty' zone to find people to group with.
  7. t0ast macrumors member

Sep 29, 2004
    Generally, grinding is the best way to gain xp and money. Pick skinning and farm Turtles all the day long. You will be able to earn at least 3.5g per hour. Turtle scales sells for about 3g per stack. (Depending on which realm)

Where to farm turtles:
    lvl 29-35: Along the beach and river in Arathi Highlands and Alterac Mountains.
    lvl 35-42: Along the beach in Dustwallow Marsh.
    lvl 39-47: In Tanaris. A good place to farm is near Steamwheedle Port, because you can easily sell poor items to the merchants, and free up your backpack.
    47-54: In The Hinterlands.

STV is by far the worst place to quest, especially for those with slower macs. I recommend to skip it, but a few quests.

Alot of people are prefering to xp by doing instance-runs, but that's extremely ineffective... do the quests and get the drops you want, then go back to the farming.
  8. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    I'm a level 35 warrior, and the game has gotten sooo boring for me. I just want to level up quickly to 40 so I can finally get my mount, but it's such a slow process. Its gotten to the point where I rarely want to play the game at all anymore.
  9. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I ground from 52-58 but this was before the honour system. I came out very wealthy, with good items and level 58. :)

As for places to grind, it all depends on the class. Mages are great grinders as we can do insane damage. Priests on the other hand suck at it. It all varies greatly.
  10. mishi macrumors regular

May 22, 2004

hey don.m, what is the name of your pally on icecrown?, ive got a 58 nightelf hunter on icecrown.
  11. comictimes macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Berkeley, California
    I'm a 35 pally right now, and I just spent a couple hours doing missions in the shimmering flats. Wow... gained about 30,000 xp in three hours or so...
    That place is nice, just because there are a ton of beasts that will give you xp, but are easy to kill (i.e. lvl 30-35), and they're packed together, but you rarely have to fight more than one at a time. Only problem is the occasional getting ganked. Oh well.
  12. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    Dimoden. Mostly play weekends (crazy busy schedule) but having lots of fun! :)

Just learned how to make Truesilver Champion. Time to farm mats! :D
  13. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    Badlands is good too (same range). Low Horde pop there.