WoW & GuildWars on Macbook

Discussion in 'Games' started by tyspi, Oct 4, 2006.

1. tyspi macrumors newbie

Hey Guys

I recently upgraded my 1.83 Mhz MacBook to 2gig Ram and I was expecting to see a big FPS difference running WoW and Guildwars via Bootcamp.

Well both games boot up real quick and it allows me to run both on medium and higher settings. Both start up with a very good FPS but after 5 minutes they both seem to pause a few seconds and everything gets real choppy. Any idea what could be going on? Could there be something wrong with my Ram? Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
    Ty

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Have any of your other applications not performing as well after a shorter amount of time? (Photoshop maybe?)

Do other 3d games have this problem?

Personally my guess is the RAM. What kind did you get?

3. tyspi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

I got 2X 1GB DDR2 Corsair Memory Sticks. It says on their site www.corsairmemory.com that they are compatible. I went to my tech shop 3 times to change the memory and this third set seems to work the best however its still not perfect as after I play for while the game pauses and when it resumes my FPS takes a massive hit. It doesn't make a difference what settings I put it on either.

I haven't tried other games to tell you the truth or applications but I'm suspecting it might be heat related too. Could also have something to do with bootcamp.

What I'd like to know is if anyone out there has the exact same specs as mine 'MacBook 1.83Ghz 2 gig Ram' and if this happens while playing guildwars or WoW.

Thanks
    Ty

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

5. anshod macrumors newbie

I have the 2 Gz with 1.25 Gb of ram,

I have zero fps problems while playing WoW from OSX

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Medium and higher settings on integrated graphics? I think you've simply got the frilly bits turned up too high. Get your video settings turned down and I'm sure it'll be fine. It's also worth noting that some sliders/boxes in video options will make a much bigger difference to performance than others so play around.

7. tyspi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

I just played WOW all morning on low settings and after a while the same thing started happening. Any ideas?

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hm. Check Activity Monitor to see what your page ins/outs are at after the problem has started happening. It'll give us an idea if the issue is RAM related.

It's definitely not just happening in certain areas/populated places, is it?

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

This was in Windows, correct?

10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

D'oh. Try it in OS X? A friend of mine plays WoW in OS X on her 2GB MacBook and it plays much smoother than on her Windows PC where it regularly goes choppy.

11. tyspi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Guys

I think I found the problem. I was scouting through various forums regardin the macbook and I found a lot of threads on overheating. Now I live in Malta and the climate is alot warmer overall than the UK and most of the US. I placed a fan next to my MacBook and let it run while I spent almost a day playing WoW and Presto! It didnt give me that problem once.

I havn't tried guildwars yest and I assume guildwars might have a larger strain on the CPU causing it to heat up quicker but I think this is the problem. So untill winter comes around and the air gets cooler I'm gonna need a good cooling system for my Mac.

But here's the thing, most of the laptop cooling pads out there have two fans which extract heat from the bottom of most laptops. However, the MacBook seems to dissipate Heat mainly from the Hinge area where the monitor connects to the Keyboard section. So I would need some sort of cooling system that would attach to the side and blow air across the keyboard. I think.

Any ideas for a good cooling system for the MacBook?

Thanks Guys
    Ty

12. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I would think that any heat pulled from the bottom would still be less heat it needs to dissipate through the top? No suggestions on alternatives.

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

As I was reading your first post I was assuming it was a heat build up issue. and you seem to have confirmed it a bit later in the thread... You could try some simple/cheap things first. Get some small blocks, about a 1/4-1/2 inch thick and put the MacBook on those to allow for greater airflow under the laptop, which may be enough to do it. Even though the MacBook moves heat upward with it's cooling system, any heat that you can move out from the bottom of the machine is less that is building up (causing your speed problems after a few minutes).

After that, there's some laptop coolers out there, but I can't give any good advice on which ones are good. You could also try just setting a small fan up next to your 'on blocks' MB to get even more "free" heat dissipation.

Hope you can get things working better for you. Just out of curiosity, what kind of FPS are you getting on Guild Wars with medium settings?

14. tyspi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice.

I'll have some time to fiddle around on Friday and Ill post the results then.

Is there a command in guildwars or in WoW to show the FPS? I think I did it on WoW once but I can't remember what it is.

Off hand, when my MB is cool both games play really smooth. WoW on low setings and Guildwars on medium to high. As I said I'll have more time to try on Friday.

Thanks
    Ty

15. scr macrumors newbie

On a PC the command is ctrl-f or alt-f. But I am quite sure that you can change it under key bindings.

As a last resort, you can use some kind of add-on that shows the FPS for you. For example, Titan panel.

Edit: this is for WoW

16. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

In WoW, you hit Ctrl-r to show the FPS - no need for any add-ons.