wow, I'm glad I got out of there when I did

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vniow, Mar 30, 2006.

1. vniow macrumors G4

So I was a bit bored at work today and I got to thinking about high school. I'm 21 now and in college halfway across the country form where I was born but I was curious to see what people were up to where I went. I haven't seen any of them for over 6 years, in the beginning of my junior year my dad got a job at Cisco in San Jose so my whole family moved from some crap little town in OK so another crap little town in CA south of SJ. :) Anyway, I ended up going to a couple different hish schools here but I was mostly focusing on the first one, since I had gone there since 5th grade. I browsed through Myspace (yeah yeah, I hate it too but everyone's on it) and I found a guy that was in my grade. It was a bit of a pity since he was not nearly as cute as I remember but I clicked on his school link and found a bunch of other people I knew while going there.

And the thing was none of them had changed a bit. Okay maybe a little but some of the kids I went to this little church group turned into the classic fundamentalist type, a good sized chunk went into the army and it seemed that most of the girls were already married and had a couple kids right out of high school. I did see the profile of this one guy who was a total flamer and finally admitted he was gay so that was a highlight. :D

My sister moved back there with my mom (dad's still here until the house sells, then he's back there too) and they ended up moving into roughly the same area where we lived before, close enough where my sister went to the same school that she and I went before. I saw her a couple weeks ago when she came to visit for spring break and she was telling me how it was pretty much the same as when we left it.
    I haven't been back in over four years mostly due to my extended family on my mom's side, the one that I'm closest to, didn't take too kindly to me coming out (long story) so while they've warmed up a bit since then, I still don't feel comfortable visiting them yet, maybe winter holidays next year but not anytime soon. Given the fact that according to my sister, not much has changed, I was also wondering if I would run into anybody I used to know when I was visiting. I consciously don't really want to because I've changed a lot since then as opposed to much of them and I'm certainly not the same person that they knew, not to mention being quite a conservative state that has its share of fundies which I have no desire to interact with on any level, I remain a bit curious to what they would say if they saw me again.

"Hey, didn't you used to be..."

Anyhoo, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, its just something that was on my mind tonight.

-Ani

2. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I don't think that many of us change that much after leaving secondary school, that's why reunions are so dull/exciting (depending on your take on these things) - everyone's just fatter/balder/married. Occasionally people break the mould or come out (although that isn't usually a surprise) and there'll usually be someone who broke through and someone else who broke down but by and large we all just walk the line.

Bit depressing really.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Wow. I had no idea you were my age. You seem so much more mature than me. :D

4. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

I guess not, I'm just a bit suprised by the thing. I mean, the place I lived was an absolute ********, not just to me but to most of the people I knew and yet they remain there for whatever reason. I also found out that some of the same friend circles still exist and that while not as suprising, wasn't entirely unexpected.

I suppose I'm projecting my own views of growing up there, after all I couldn't stand staying for more than a week to visit family, these people have stayed here for years! Guess it goes to show some things never change...

5. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Having just checked out how old you are it seems fairly safe to say that you can't have left there that long ago. Remember whilst for some familiarity may breed contempt for others it breeds comfort, one person's ******** is another's safe house.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't know, some people change. Some for the better, some for the worse. I've seen people after High School that usually fall into the worse category, but from what I've seen on MySpace and Classmates.com, some are actually doing quite well. Of course, a lot of those were people who were already doing ok. That, and they could be lying.

I haven't changed too much, I'm still evil.

7. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

vniow: what city in oklahoma you from ?? I'm a true oklahoman but a transplant in california (3yrs now) :D :D

i'm from the 2nd largest city in Oklahoma ;) :eek:

8. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

I'm sorry.

Tuttle area, in the middle of nowhere. Only those who actually lived in or around there would know where it was.

9. Takumi macrumors regular

Can't agree more, many peeople don't appreciaete what they have until it's gone.

Takumi

10. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

vniow, i know where tuttle is now .. its about 3hrs southwest of tulsa (where I 'm from) tuttle just outside of OKC :eek: :eek: