WoW image retention on iMac

Discussion in 'Games' started by ghostee, Dec 8, 2005.

1. ghostee macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Villa Park, IL
    Anybody else here get image retention on their iMac or any lcd display after a long session? I have seen the outline of some action buttons against my blue background after exiting the game after a long session (8-16 hours). The last time, the retention was still bad in the morning, 8 hours after quitting the game. Luckily it was gone when I came back from work 12 hours later.

Anyone else experience this?
  2. RGunner macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2002
    Midnight Sun
    This is a part of all LCD's

It cannot be helped, and over time will cause the 'ghost' to appear more permanent.

I would suggest playing for shorter periods of time, perhaps doing other activities?

WoW and EQ are completely life changing.
  3. cvalda macrumors member

Nov 27, 2005
    chicago, il
    LCD = Liquid Crystal Display.

The longer you have the crystals in one static position, the longer they will retain that shape and color. It can't be helped.

Just be glad it wasn't on a rear projection TV! It'd be almost irreversible!
  4. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    I found when my apple display (17" ACD studio) was new, it would do this, but now 3 years later the problem doesn't happen anymore. Maybe this is just going to fix itself after using the LCD for a few years?
  5. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Check the map more often, turn off the UI when you're not using it (running in town, whatever), alt-tab to Firefox/Safari/Whatever whenever you're taking a long flight and check out the newest post on MR ;)
  6. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    I used to suffer from this type of ghosting on my older 20" Cinema Display (with clear surround) but since ditching it and getting the alluminium version I don't have that problem anymore.

It wasn't just in Wow either, it was in photoshop etc.. It was a real pain.
  7. ghostee thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Villa Park, IL
    Yes they are. I found myself really addicted to them, but the past week or two I havn't had much of a desire to play. Nice to have a ton of extra time to do more productive things.... like surf MacRumors :D

I do plan on getting a Sony LCDRP set in the semi-near future. Guess I'll have to be careful about my gaming/4x3 show use. Kinda sucks, I always heard LCD's were almost impossible to burn-in.

I've been playing my level 33 UD Priest alt lately, so no flight is really long at this point. I do constantly read websites and do other things during flights though, albeit on the iBook sitting next to my iMac. Point taken about turning of the UI, good idea.
  8. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    You played WoW for 8-16 hours straight? Holy uh....crap? How do you have time for that?
  9. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

May 1, 2003
    My 23" ACD had the same problem, except it was the FCP UI burned into my screen. I sent it to Apple and they replaced the Panel and the logicboard inside. Basically they gave me a new monitor in the old case. If it is bothering you really bad you can probably send it in to Apple and they will replace the LCD in your iMac.
  10. ghostee thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Villa Park, IL
    Weekends. Been working 45-55 hours a week and can't game as much during the week, so when I sat down to play on a Friday night or Sunday, I played for a long time. Excessive, I know. :D
  11. mishi macrumors regular

May 22, 2004
    not happening on pb 17" screen

ok...well i play WoW....alot (up to 16 hours in one session)....but i have never had this problem and i never play wow on another computer than my powerbook. are the laptop screen in some way different than the desktop screens?
  12. pionata macrumors 6502

Oct 12, 2005
    Trust your instinct, if its bad and anoying then dont hesitate, call apple support and take a deep voice (but never angry, just wondering wtf is going on with your monitor). My 23" is not leaving trace ... (it has a gray line across it instead) ... lol

But Im sending it back also.
  13. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    Leave the LCD OFF for 2-3 times your longest session to remove ghosting.

LCD usually don't 'burn in' permanently.
  14. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

Oct 12, 2005
    LCD is pretty bad for games and dvd despite what people want to say.

With LCD monitors ghosting, screen burns , etc can't really be helped and there's really not that much you can do to stop it....
  15. CalGrunt macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2005
    There are no screen burns on LCD's. You can get screen burn in's on CRT's but not LCD's.