wow install issue

Discussion in 'Games' started by GonzoRob, Nov 10, 2005.

1. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

hey guys,
    decided to get back into WoW - however when I run the installer all I get is the splash screen - then it does nothing .. very odd .. it hasnt crashed as the flames on the torches are still animated..

running os x tiger on a 12" PB...Im not running little snitch .. so it can connect to the net ..Also tried copying all the files to the hard disk from the 4 cds ... still no joy

any ideas ?

Rob

2. GonzoRob thread starter macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

a bit more info

from the console.log when i run the installer :

----

Missing symbol {Error%dOpening%s}! (SymbolTable::UnmappedSymbolSubstitution)
    Missing symbol {ContactTechSupport}! (SymbolTable::UnmappedSymbolSubstitution)
    2005-11-11 00:15:14.408 Installer[272] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value
    2005-11-11 00:15:56.348 Installer[276] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value

---

im guessing that its finding my old install somewhere and freaking out -

any help would be ace

cheers
    R

3. GonzoRob thread starter macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

just incase anyone else has the same problem. All signs point to suggest that the game CD's were bad (this is what tech support will tell you). This isnt the case. I discovered that i could install fine on a different computer, and when i copied the installl files (from the other computer) to this one - the problem reoccured.
    QED there must be a bug in the WoW installer that doesnt like people uninstalling, then re-installing.
    So:
    Find another computer. install. copy WoW directory though network / blank DVD. When copied, enter the WoW .app directory in the console and type 'chmod -R -L +rwx Contents'
    Now it should work a treat :)

its a right pain that you have to find another computer to install on - but there we go..
    r