Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Unno, personally. I like it. It's kinda weird going to my iPad and working with iOS6 again. I like the more minimalist approach to iOS with 7, and since it's Ives' baby it's not all that surprising.

I'm pleasantly surprised that I've run across hardly any bugs so far, feeling kinda bad that I've only had a couple things to report back to the mothership.

With that said, I can imagine why some people won't ever like the new look, but personally, I love it.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
They're following a couple design principles. Simplicity, deference, affordance, and some others. Basically, they want to remove the visual clutter and take the focus away from the UI, letting the content shine.

They're not trying to simplify iOS, just how it looks and sometimes works.

While they went for the right theory, I can agree that the outcome is a little weird.

For example: why are all of these objects now flatter, yet react with even more realistic and inconsistent physics? For example: why do bubbles in the messages app now have their own springy inertia when scrolling? The bubbles now look less like actual bubbles, but they behave in a more "realistic" way. Also, why is it only these bubbles and nothing else that behaves like that?

All of this inconsistent stuff scattered around the system makes it feel really overbearing.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
While they went for the right theory, I can agree that the outcome is a little weird.

For example: why are all of these objects now flatter, yet react with even more realistic and inconsistent physics? For example: why do bubbles in the messages app now have their own springy inertia when scrolling? The bubbles now look less like actual bubbles, but they behave in a more "realistic" way. Also, why is it only these bubbles and nothing else that behaves like that?

All of this inconsistent stuff scattered around the system makes it feel really overbearing.

What's the alternative? I certainly don't want everything to look and behave the same, sounds like a bore.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013

Not to sound like a cracked record here, sorry, but it's still a Beta - these elements are not necessarily going to be in the final iOS 7. Have you watched the WWDC sessions videos? Highly recommended - they are truly insightful... superb!

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I think iOS 7 is beautiful. It is by far the best looking smartphone OS, IMO. At first I didn't like the icons, but now I like them better than iOS 6. I even love the new look of the dock, while others hate it. There are still things I dislike about iOS when compared to Android, such as the lack of openness, but that is nothing new.

With any major change, there will be people who hate it, people who love it, and people who get used to it. This is no different.

Buy new glasses please.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
wow comparing the two, iOS 6 looks much better/unique/sleek/professional than 7 :/
Ask 10 people on the street, whom have never seen IOS7 or an iPhone, which icons were designed in 2006 and which icons were designed in 2013, and I suspect most people would associate the OS7 icons with 2006.

I know many on this forum are relatively young, but the new icons are very similar to the icon designs that we began to see in 1996 after the release of Windows 95. That's when we first got icons with 256 colors; the OS only shipped with 16-color icons, but users could add support for 256-color icons with an add-on (Microsoft Plus!). Over the course of the next five years, third-parties released flat 256-color icons in all shapes and sizes.

OSX's claim to fame, when it was released, was its design with 32-bit color icons (24-bit color plus an 8-bit alpha channel). OSX was the first consumer OS with detailed, three-dimensional icons with semitransparent areas like shadows, anti-aliasing, and glass-like shapes. Apple's three-dimensional icons have been the envy of Windows users ever since. Windows users languished for years with flat icons lacking depth, because the platform lacked support for the alpha channel necessary to deliver icons with transparency and shadows.

Last edited:

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I am going to reserve judgment until iOS 7 is released to the public. One thing I will say, however, is regarding the dock. That glass dock struck something in me the moment I laid eyes on it. It was magical ... and it led to my love of all things Apple. I am sorry to see it go away :(

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Ask 10 people on the street, whom have never seen IOS7 or an iPhone, which icons were designed in 2006 and which icons were designed in 2013, and I suspect most people would associate the OS7 icons with 2006.

I know many on this forum are relatively young, but the new icons are very similar to the icon designs that we began to see in 1996 after the release of Windows 95. That's when we first got icons with more than 256 colors; the OS only shipped with 256-color icons, but users could add support for 65k color icons with an add-on (Microsoft Plus!). However, Microsoft did not support an alpha channel and transparency, which meant no semitransparent areas like shadows, anti-aliasing, and glass-like shapes could be drawn on icons.

OSX's claim to fame, when it was released, was its design with 32-bit color icons (24-bit color plus an 8-bit alpha channel). OSX was the first consumer OS with detailed, three-dimensional icons with semitransparent areas like shadows, anti-aliasing, and glass-like shapes. Apple's three-dimensional icons have been the envy of Windows users ever since. Windows users languished for years with flat icons lacking depth, because the platform lacked support for the alpha channel necessary to deliver icons with transparency and shadows.

I used Windows 95 back in the day. I don't think that iOS7 icons look anything like Win95 icons. I looked them up in the off chance my memory was off:

All_Windows_95_OSR2_Icons_by_fanatixx.png

I still don't see it. :confused:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
What's the alternative? I certainly don't want everything to look and behave the same, sounds like a bore.

What's wrong with things looking the same, as long as they work? But then, I've been known to wear the same clothes for 10 years until they fell apart. :p

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
I used Windows 95 back in the day. I don't think that iOS7 icons look anything like Win95 icons. I looked them up in the off chance my memory was off:

Those are the stock 16-color icons. I am thinking of the icon themes that third parties released on a daily basis over the next five years. Those icons were great compared to the stock icons you linked, but they were nothing compared to the three-dimensional icons we got with OSX in 2001.

Last edited:

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013

Nor do I. They don't at all, do they. It's just another derogatory comment that ignorant people use to attempt to put down the incredibly subtle but complex work that graphic designers have to do. If you don't "get" balance, grids, form and aesthetic harmony, then the only thing you have left to slate is the obvious - and the whole icon berating was tedious the first time I read it - why do people assume the tedious repetition of those opinions make them more valid with each expression?

iOS 7 is beautiful; beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I suppose some people just don't behold - no big deal, so long as you leave it there, and don't continue beyond the boundaries of decency and respect, and break into the land of being downright insulting to hard working engineers.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Nor do I. They don't at all, do they. It's just another derogatory comment that ignorant people use to attempt to put down the incredibly subtle but complex work that graphic designers have to do. If you don't "get" balance, grids, form and aesthetic harmony, then the only thing you have left to slate is the obvious - and the whole icon berating was tedious the first time I read it - why do people assume the tedious repetition of those opinions make them more valid with each expression?

iOS 7 is beautiful; beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I suppose some people just don't behold - no big deal, so long as you leave it there, and don't continue beyond the boundaries of decency and respect, and break into the land of being downright insulting to hard working engineers.

To be fair, I think I misread/misunderstood the original post. That poster clarified:

Those are the stock 16-color icons. I am thinking of the icon themes that third parties released on a daily basis over the next five years. Those icons were great compared to the stock icons you linked, but they were nothing compared to the three-dimensional icons we got with OSX in 2001.

That being said, I still can't remember seeing any icons that resembled iOS7 in any form... Do you have any examples?

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
To be fair, I think I misread/misunderstood the original post. That poster clarified:

That being said, I still can't remember seeing any icons that resembled iOS7 in any form... Do you have any examples?

There aren't any; they're being derogatory and facetious, and it's getting a little stale now.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
It's so amateur though, you go from a glass panel dock to a blur. It looks photoshopped.

iOS 7 had varying responses because of the varying wallpapers users use. Using such wallpaper does not do iOS 7 justice and it makes me wonder what is Apple thinking when they decided to include this as one of the default wallpapers available. Did they even try it and see how it looks like?

The dock is beautiful if your wallpaper is beautiful.

Oh by the way, I don't dislike the iOS 7 OVERALL, but does anyone realize the safari icon is a painful thing to look at? I mean, the other icons were generally well designed, but the safari icon is disastrous.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
iOS 7 had varying responses because of the varying wallpapers users use. Using such wallpaper does not do iOS 7 justice and it makes me wonder what is Apple thinking when they decided to include this as one of the default wallpapers available. Did they even try it and see how it looks like?

The dock is beautiful if your wallpaper is beautiful.

Oh by the way, I don't dislike the iOS 7 OVERALL, but does anyone realize the safari icon is a painful thing to look at? I mean, the other icons were generally well designed, but the safari icon is disastrous.

The safari and the settings app are pretty terrible but I'm not to bothered by the others as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.