WOW. Is it really possible.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 30, 2006.

1. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Just read bout apple buying adobe. It`s not a news, not even a rumor but sort of speculation. Or bettter said a wish from an Apple fan. Acc to Mr. Cringley if Apple buys out adobe than they have every chane in world to beat M$ in the OS sector.

2. regre7 macrumors 6502

As long as Adobe keeps putting out great versions of After Effects I'm cool with it.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's been mentioned before.

I think it would be extremely unlikely, but anything is possible (especially with Apple).

4. mad cow disease macrumors member

*If* Apple buys Adobe, which they won't, they would still NOT have a chance against MSFT in the OS sector.

Why? Because Adobe is a graphics design/web design/multimedia software company, not a company that designs, markets, and programs operating systems. I don't quite see how it would "enhance Apple's OS fight." Give Apple leverage against Microsoft? Sure, but Microsoft's main product is Windows AND Office, and Adobe doesn't produce anything vaguely resembling those. Microsoft is neither a threat nor even vaguely a competitor to Adobe's flagship products, which are Photoshop, Flash, and Acrobat - defacto standards in their respective industries. They do compete fiercely in the low-end (sub-$100) photo editing software market, but that is a fraction of Adobe's revenues.

This is what I'd call *stupid* speculation. Adobe currently has a market capitalization of 23 billion dollars, making it the world's fifth largest (I believe) software company. Assuming Apple were to buy it out, let's say they offered a 5% premium on the shares - about $2 a share. That would put the price at somewhere near $25B, or three times the amount of cash that Apple has on hand. Combine that with the simple fact that Adobe is currently in the process of swallowing Macromedia, a huge merger expected to take up to another full year or more, and Apple as a potential suitor would have MORE than a full plate. Let's face it - Final Cut is a part of the Apple software suite, and is a competing product to Adobe's Premiere video software product, but it doesn't represent a large sum of Apple's revenues.

Sorry boys, it just ain't gonna happen. This guy is on crack.