Wow... Just Wow (US Troops Taunt Iraqi Children)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hummer, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Winning the hearts and minds of Iraq with the classic behavior of the "Ugly Americans."

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Y'know, if John Kerry had been calling our soldiers stupid, this is the kind of guy he would have been talking about.

He's even got that idiotic chuckle. Huk-huk-huk.

Yeah, I know, the video is on Alex Jones' site :rolleyes: , but it comes from YouTube, and it's pretty much self-explanatory.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

the kid who ran so hard didn't get it finally, i hope those soldiers happy playing "god". this is disgusting.

4. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What would have been amusing is if the kid had been trying to warn them there was an IED ahead.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wow....those troops are terrible. Honestly what do they think they are doing? In 20 year they will have forgotten about it, but its give people in Iraq one more reason(do they even need another) to hate all Americans.

And that Kid didn't get it, that sucks, he ran for a LONG TIME.

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

So those children will now grow up hating America and join a terrorist organisation with the aim of its destruction. And, to be honest, if that was my sole experience of Americans, I really can't blame them.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This type of thing should be shown everywhere and the people responsible shown as the bad soldiers they are. Condemned by the higher ups and other soldiers. Instead, it's defended and buried, making things harder for the good ones. Makes it look like that kind of thing is standard, let alone acceptable.

Same types of things happen with the cops, and then they wonder why people hate them, no matter how many good ones there are out there.

9. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Or if they'd, in fact, been shouting, "Shove that H2O up your chocolate alley and **** off home, bastards".

10. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I was so disgusted watching it that i stopped watching it before the end of the clip.

How can someone do that to kids?!!!

What is sad is that they will grow up thinking that is what us americans are like but we aren't. What a shame.

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Old enough to bleed.

13. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
  14. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Oh. My. God. The british soldier filming it went all sadistic. He was, like, having an orgasm to the god damned beating. What in the Hell possesses someone to think in such a way? Obviously I don't know the whole story -- they may have assisted in bombing a tank for all I know (of course that's the one extreme) -- but there should be no pleasure in beating someone.

...Wow. This thread... it has an ability to ruin a day quite efficiently.

15. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I think there's a larger question here: what made the soldiers do that (and what gave the cameraman so much excitement)? Have children caused them such suffering to lead them to kick prone children in the groin without a second thought? Whatever the reason, it certainly suggests these soldiers have been there long enough if they've turned into that.

16. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I'm only 24 so I don't have a great biopic view of this whole thing called the United States--I've just lived here all my life.

But here's what I get: I get that the US used to be known as a land of opportunity and protecting and helping people around the world.

Now, I see a land of politicians standing up for big pharma and the military industrial complex and the opportunities for our young people are service jobs without benefits and unions or joining the military. I see an FDA that's the tool of the drug and food industry (how else can .5 mg of trans fats equal 0 g in the eyes of the FDA?). I see the military is run by the people who make weapons. The opportunity is for corporations, not individuals.

I see that we are not seen as protecting rights around the world. We are seen as invading countries without a plan. We are seen as not understanding other cultures. And we are seen red-handed abusing the people we capture.

I suggest that going forward the US should strive most to be and appear humble and apologetic to the world. I think it is both the right thing to do, and the safest thing to do.

17. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

No offence intended here: In a perfect world this would describe everyone. But I don't think it is in the psyche of (m)any countries' people and certainly not in the psyche of Americans. I'm no historian or anthropologist, but I know America was built on the backs of fearless adventurers who headed into the unknown to stake their claim. The resulting 'don't-you-stand-in-my-way' mentality runs current and deep, but is arguably not the way to win friends in the modern world. To expect this national characteristic to just disappear is wishful thinking.

Now the British, on the other hand, are experts at just the opposite. "Mustn't grumble..." is our national motto :D

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's part of the problem with our current culture. Political and otherwise. We see such things as weakness. Despite claiming to be Christian, we are very often not, neglecting the primary principles of our professed religion. Choosing instead to hide behind religion to justify our hatred of gays and Muslims and all sorts of other things Jesus would not be very happy with. We call our selves proprietors of the culture of life, yet this is obviously not the case. Worse, it's not even that we're necessarily bad people, it's just that we're so selfish and myopic and self indulged that we are too worried about our own lives to even care about everything going so horribly wrong. Oblivious to how much we actually are affected by the gradual decline of our civilization, hopelessly unaware of how we can even begin to change things for the better. Feeling as if there is nothing we can do, even if we did care, which is why so many don't.

So there's nothing else to do but sit and complain and blame the current administration's failings that put us into this situation in the first place.

19. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

A warning they wouldn't really have deserved. Classic ugly American behaviour. Just disgusting.

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

America, like just about every other country in the world, was build by conquerers and laborers.

21. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

Exactly. The idea of America as a 'light to the nations' is incredibly absurd. If anything, America has a somewhat worse history than most other nations.