[WoW] Latest patch + performance

Discussion in 'Games' started by Abulia, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Like many Mac owners, WoW performance took a dive with this last patch. After checking out the WoW forums I'm pleased to report my performance has returned -- or perhaps improved -- from prior versions. A few things:

1. There is apparently a bug in the patch and the Mac client that disables some optimizations. No word on specifically what setups this affects. It could be affecting you, it may not be. A Mac hotfix is in the works for release "in the next week or two." (Source: WoW forums)

2. Full Screen Glow Effect, by default, is turned on with this new patch. Not only does this make the game look worse (IMO) but there's a huge performance hit, especially if you have AA turned on.

3. Built-in AA/AF support. This was the big one for me. With my ATI X800 I've been using the ATI control panel. I've since turned off my WoW customization via the control panel and turned on WoW's internal AA/AF support. This has greatly improved performance.

Find your config.wtf folder. Open it with your text editor. Add the following line to turn on AA:

SET gxMultisample "2" <-- You can also try 4 or 8, or 0 for off
    SET gxMultisampleQuality "1.000000" <-- AF setting.

On my machine (specs below), with most everything turned on high (terrain distance to medium) at 1680 x 1050 I'm averaging about 40 fps, dropping to 20-30 in Ironforge.

Very happy to have a beautiful and smooth WoW playing experience again!

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

You really think so? When the sun is setting it looks absolutely gorgeous...

Thanks for the info.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, when I started the game after patching I immediately noticed that it looked a lot nicer :)

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yeah, my frame rate dropped about 20% with this patch (Radeon 9600 Pro), even with Full Screen Glow turned off. I rather like the Full Screen Glow effect though, it finally works like it should. Looks nice to me, so I keep it on, even with the fps hit it incurs. The Death Effect is improved but still not correct (see PC screenshots of it) and the frame rate is extremely low in that mode.

5. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I was testing out my 6800 Ultra card again and was getting single digit frame rates. I put my x800 back in and it went up to around 30fps. That is with everything enabled and set to max except for draw distance which I have to set to minimum. I don't know why I am getting worse frame rates on a higher spec machine. Is it really the glow effect that is the performance hit?

6. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I get 50-60fps with everything on excpet Full screen glow (makes everything look softer, I hate it), and terrain distance at half (I see little difference with it at full) with computer in sig. I am also running it at 1920x1200.

7. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

It was for me. Try it off would be the easy solution. Are you using (for the X800) the ATI control panel? Disabling that and using the internal AA/AF settings for WoW got me my framerates back.

8. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Youare right. I disabled the glow effect and frame rates went WAY up. I am not using the ATI control panel.