WoW Mac/PC question

Discussion in 'Games' started by Bangpow, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Bangpow macrumors member

I was wondering if you play on the same servers as people using Windows PC's or do you have to play with people that are striclty using Mac's??

2. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

Same version, releases are at the same time, same servers.

I switch between playing on my pc and powerbook.

in fact, blizzard releases one box for each game title, there is no distinction for them.

3. Bangpow thread starter macrumors member

4. Bangpow thread starter macrumors member

5. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

15" 1.5 512M ram and 64M vram. getting 15-30 fps on it. I suspect though that the next patch from blizz will have further optimizations based upon 10.3.8

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

How will it run on a 1.25 ghz mac mini with 512mb ram on a 512/128k dsl connection¿
    WIll it run decently with alot of the details turned down?

7. Bangpow thread starter macrumors member

But it is playable, right?

8. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

so far I haven't had any trouble, not sure what a big raid party would do for it though.

9. Bangpow thread starter macrumors member

Do you have all the details maxed out and everything or do you have everything turned down??

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just debating if i should spend the money to buy the game only to not have it run decent at some lower settings.

10. 70chip macrumors newbie

Good Luck buying the game. It's sold out everywhere. Even Blizzard's offical site is OUT OF STOCK :(

11. Bangpow thread starter macrumors member

Well, it's not an immediate need, I am just asking questions at this point. I still want to buy more RAM before i do anything else.

12. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

13. vasaz macrumors member

Could you check if turning details up hurts your frame rate? I have the same powerbook (all though 128 mb vram, and 1.5 gig ram) and have pretty much all the settings on highest (glow effect off) and usually get about the same frame rate as you mention. ~30 frames inside, ~25 in ogrimmar, ~15 anywhere else... but I also have the farclip one notch below the halfway point (and 2x anistrophic plus 2x super antialiasing). It's not smooth by any means (except indoors), but playable... and having a lot of ppl on screen doesn't hurt at all.

A few notes: i found it improves my performance if I turn vertical synch off and 'level of detail' unchecked (very odd, but it improved my performance by a few frames)

14. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Just curious, but how much better are your framerates with the 2xAA and 2xAF turned off? I'm surprised you don't turn them off to get some better performance, as 15fps is far from enjoyable.

15. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

I even have gone so far as to install ati displays and set it to high perf mode for WoW. No, it's not super fun to play for long stretches on the laptop, that's why I use my desktop for that.

Turning up details kills any frame rate at all, didn't get above 20. I suspect that the 1.5G of system ram is the deal breaker here. I hear the hard drive churning quite a bit during game play.

16. vasaz macrumors member

It actually doesn't have any noticeable effect (at least for me), and makes everything look much nicer!

17. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Will it run on this?

18. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I will probably RUN but you are not likely to be satisfied. The limited VRAM is going to hurt speed, and the slow harddrive in the mini is going to further hurt performance. You will peobably be alright in the early levels, asyou can avoid crowds and so on, but when you start to get higher level you will want to be in mroe groups and busy areas, which will not likely play very smooth, or even usably at all.

Rob

19. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I have a LaCie porsche 160gb 7200rpm 8mb buffer on usb2. If i install it on that will it be better or the usb2 will be too slow?

20. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Not sure on the USB speeds compared to FW400, but a fast drive in a FW enclosure will be faster than the stock mini drive.

From your sig, it looks like you don't have a mini at the moment? Why not spend some money on a better video card a little RAM for your PC to play WoW on? You'll be better off with that than the mini for gaming overall.

Rob

21. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Its not only gameing..I want to dip my foot in the world of macs

22. infect macrumors member

infect

From what I've seen usb2 is still significantly slower than FW400 for some reason. I have no idea why, but my real world experience leads me to believe usb2 isn't what it's hyped up to be.

23. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Patmian212:

Unfortunately gaming is not going to show Apple in the best light. I'd advise having a Mac and a PC, and using the PC mainly for games. Keeping the PC off the web sites and away from email will actually cast it in the best light too. ;)