WoW + MacBook (Intel GPU) ... What's The Deal?

Discussion in 'Games' started by HiRez, Aug 3, 2006.

1. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I'm having a hard time figuring out how well a MacBook (non-pro) can handle WoW. I've seen a lot of fps readings taken in various threads, and they vary wildly. Some people claim they get 25-30+ fps all the time, others give stories about the frame rate dropping to 3-4 fps in raids, one guy even said he was getting 6-7 fps just standing around Moonbrook with nothing happening. What is the truth? Yes, I know settings and resolution will affect the frame rate but really people seem to be getting very different results ranging from "silky smooth" to "completely unacceptable and unplayable".

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

It seems to depend largely on how much RAM your machine has. People with 2GB seem to be getting better results than with 512mb.

3. iFry macrumors member

sorry to cut into your thread, but also has anyone had problems running games on a mbpro... i.e. Halo

i'm getting one soon and i'm simply curious:
    MBPro 2.0ghz
    1gb RAM

4. hvatsun macrumors newbie

so, i am a recent mac convert, and the draw of wow on a mac helped me mentally with the switch. So, i have the 2.0ghz white macbook with the default 512mb ram. I installed WoW on both OSX and Windows XP with boot camp. Heres my results.

NOTE: These specs are in the middle of stranglethorn vale, with no activity going on.

OSX: 4-5 fps
    XP: Starts out at a strong 30-35 fps once I log in, but after about 10 seconds of running, it drops to 5-9 fps, which is unplayable.

Both of my installations are on the lowest possible settings.

Is there anything I can do to boost performance without buying the ram? Am I doing something horribly wrong that I just have ignored? HELP!

thx

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

You can check your mail, buy stuff from the auction house but thats about it dont think you can raid.

6. HiRez thread starter macrumors 603

HiRez

You could drop all the video settings down if they aren't already. Terrain Distance and Environment Detail for sure. Turn off shader effects, lower the resolution, etc. It won't look as pretty but it should run faster. You can load up your Macbook with 2 GB of RAM for about $160 though, I think the investment is well worth it, for WoW and everything else. OS X loves RAM. 1 GB would cost you under $100 and would still help quite a lot.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Its the 512mb of ram which is killing you. Get 2gb and you'll be flying :)

9. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I also had problems with WoW on my G4 Mac mini when I only had 512MB. Upgrading to 1GB helped a lot. Quitting the game helped a lot too. :D

10. hvatsun macrumors newbie

i don't want to spend any more money, Apple makes me so broke :(

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

a pair of 1GB sticks is like 150 bucks at new egg, save up and get them asap.

12. wyrmintheapple macrumors regular

I posted a video of this a while ago, maybe I'll see if I can get it on youtube or something.... Its a black macbook with only 512Mb RAM.

And WoW is quite playable in the lower resolutions, going from 22-40fps

Its not smooth, Its not pretty, and I'm not entirely sure how raids are, but for general gaming, soloing and instances, its just fine.

13. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

I had a fairly similar experience. Played on the Mini in my sig and it would definitely stutter when loading new areas or when there were a lot of people around. I found it more than playable even in raids, though (and my main was a priest in charge of the MT, so I actually had to be on the ball).

Never did upgrade to 1GB, but I, too, found that quitting helped solve all performance problems. Not playing really made it where the framerate was totally acceptable. :cool:

14. wisredz macrumors regular

Wow just the thread I was thinking of starting.
    I am about the make the switch to mac and I am quite undecidedon whether I should get MB or MBP. The only games that I think of playing are, WoW, JKII, and JK Academy...
    Whichever I get, It will have two gigs of Ram, but if I go with the MB i can get a 20" apple cinema display with wireless keyboard and mouse, where as with the pro it is only the keyboard and mouse...
    What will you do?

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

IMO 22-40 fps is both pretty and smooth... maybe I have low standards. :confused:

16. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Get the MBP.

17. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

In your case, get a MacBook. It'll be more than sufficient to play those games. A MacBook Pro would allow you to do other things if you wished, but that's another post.

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Halo isn't intel native... yet

Link_1 A whole list

Link_2 Halo thread ~ UB in the works.