WoW, memory, and a 2.1Ghz iMac

Discussion in 'Games' started by CalGrunt, Feb 27, 2006.

1. CalGrunt macrumors regular

Ok..........been playing WoW now for awhile on a 20" iSight iMac with 1gb of ram. My frame rates are usually fine.........anywhere between 30 to 50 fps when I'm outside, but..........in major cities, especially at peak times, as well as in raids where there is a lot of mobs and action going on, my frame rate drops into the low teens and gets choppy as hell. All video settings are at default.

If I jacked up my memory from 1gb to 1.5gb, would that make a big difference in the frame rate issue? My latency is just fine.

2. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I'm not quite sure the difference would be noticable.

I've got a dual-core 2.0ghz powermac, 2gb of ram, and on lower-than-medium settings, I'm lucky to see my FPS go over 26 - outside.

My bro's AMD single-core system, with only 1gb of ram and onboard video, with all settings on max, gets twice that FPS.

Dissapointing to say the least.

3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I have a question about fps: how can I tell how many fps I am getting in wOw?

4. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I'm on a Windows PC and can't remember what 'control key' is on a mac (command?)

But it's control+r.

5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Yep.....that's it. Thanks!

6. Spies macrumors regular

It's running under rosetta though wait till the UB comes out, then you can reap the rewards.

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

the ub has come out already since patch 1.9 soemthing

8. CalGrunt thread starter macrumors regular

Huh ???

9. Spies macrumors regular

10. phill1234 macrumors member

phill1234

Rofl.. probly just unlucky i got the mac mine 1.25ghz 512mb ram and didnt have any major problems in major city or raids..

11. CalGrunt thread starter macrumors regular

And you find this funny ??? Do you always laugh at people that may have something not as good as what you have? Odd........very odd.

And from EVERYTHING that I have read about memory and processor requirements needed to run Wow..............I can't see HOW you can run on a 1.25ghz with 512mb of ram and not have any problems in major cities during peak play times...............with one exception, and that is, if you are on a new server with a low population. My server Khaz'gorth, is full........and at peak times on the weekends, there is sometimes in excess of 800 people in the queue.

So from the responses here, I take it that additional memory is not going to solve the issue?

12. kronos2611 macrumors member

Personally I've found the biggest issue with lag in major cities to be related to disk access time. As soon as I walk into IF I find I have to wait around 20 secs for disk activity to calm down then everything is fine. In battlegrounds more memory may well help as Mac OS will be able to cache more in RAM and rely less on disk. My Dual 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5 will normally sit at 20-30FPS in Ironforge and 50+ when 'in the wild' but I did upgrade to a X800 graphics card which made a massive difference for me. (previously 5-10FPS in IF and 20-30 elsewhere) I also recently added the following statement to my config.wtf

SET M2Faster "1"

See http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/feb06/021006.html for more info

13. kronos2611 macrumors member

WoW went universal binary a few weeks ago (at least on the EU side)