WOW Movie Questions.

Discussion in 'Games' started by wcalderini, Oct 5, 2005.

1. wcalderini macrumors member

First: I am not sure if this is even the "proper" forum to address this in, so If I am doing something deemed innapropriate I apologize in advance.

My problem is this. I really enjoy making wow movies of different raids, editing them, and posting them to my guild forum page. I "normally" play wow on a PC I keep at home exclusively for gaming. so the majority of my "gaming" is done on that. (And I DO get better performance with my Athalon+ Radeon 9800 pro than I have ever gotten on my mac).
    I use a purchased program called "fraps" to record my ingame movies and it does a wonderful job in both recording and saving my files.
    Unfortunately, this program ONLY saves files in AVI format.
    I like to do extensive editing and graphics on these things and so far on the PC side the only application I have used is windows movie maker. It is a very clumsy program and the effects are very limited.
    I have a Mac Laptop that I do graphics on and I would love to use my copies of iMovie to edit these files.
    As it stands now, iMovie will not recognize my AVI files for import.
    Is there a quick and easy conversion process I am missing?
    Would purchasing Quicktime Pro do the trick? I note on apples website that AVI is a supported "import" file. But then again, AVI is listed on the free "player" application also, and I have yet to get an AVI file to play.
    Does anybody here have any experince with this that couls offer some solutions? I do not want to spend a ton of money and I would "prefer" to edit on my mac if possible bnecause the software is so superior.
    Any help or insight would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    WRC

2. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

In QT6pro, as long as quicktime could open the file it could convert it to .dv and be imported into imovie, however more often that not this would not include any audio

I haven't tried this with QT7pro and iMovie HD yet, but i should think it would still work :)

As to getting it to play in QT, AVI is a package, so you need to know what codec was used, then find and install it :)

3. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Fraps uses its own video codec that only windows media player can read, there is no codec plugin for QT. You need to use a PC program that can read the files then output them to QT, QTpro will not work though since it can't read the fraps encoded video. I just use premiere pro and import the fraps encoded wmv files and export them as uncompressed quicktime files. This is the only way I can edit it on my mac. More recently though I have been doing the editing in premeire and then exporting the edited footage and finishing up in motion.

Basically you need to re-encode the video, I use premeire but there are some free apps out there, like virtual dub. You will need a rather large HD since you are converting the already pretty large fraps files into more large files to edit on the mac.

Hope this helps.

4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Is there a program such as FRAPS for the mac, which can take videos of video games.

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

You can use snapz pro x to take video of the screen, it works pretty nicely, but you have to render the video after you are done capturing it, while with fraps, its all done in real time.

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Is it free? Will it run well on the ibook in my sig? Also how do i render it, with the program itself?

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'd just run a DV cam from the S-Video out and record from that. Then capture it after you're done game playing.

8. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

The .avi format works perfectly fine in my copy of QT7 Pro... I have a large number of WoW movies using that codec so Fraps movies can be read and watched.

9. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

.avi is not a codec, its a container. That .avi could be encoded using sorenson, divx, etc. but definitely not fraps. Open up the .avi in quicktime and go to window--> show movie properties, it will tell you the codec used under the format column. There is no fraps codec for quicktime, only windows media player can view fraps in its raw state.

10. wcalderini thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help

I appreciate all the input. I guess I will buy a converter on the windows side and work from there. Thanks for all the help.
    WRC

11. tobio macrumors regular

tobio

um... wrong, fraps is a codec. its fourcc code is FPS1, the file is called frapsvid.dll and it is listed in virtualdub as "fraps video decompressor"

anyway, I capture videos in fraps, open them in virtualdub on the PC, use a null transform filter to crop the black edges (make sure the video size is still in multiples of 32) and save scenes as uncompressed avi with wave sound.

you can open the uncompressed avi files in quicktime, or just about any program on the mac you like, but the files are very large.

12. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Please read through the whole thread before replying, I already stated everything you said, you just took what I said out of context, or don't understand english.
    :rolleyes:

13. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

is fraps available to mac? or iss their an alt mac route for doing this?