WoW not playing

Discussion in 'Games' started by luna crescent, Jan 14, 2006.

1. luna crescent macrumors member

I know this a mac forum but...

My friend built a pc just to play WoW but WoW encountered 132 error memory acessed error.

I couldn't do a diagnostic memory because his computer wouldn't run iso files. However, I searced technical support on worldofwarcraft.com and found that pc 3200 Ram was unstable for WoW.

If this is the case then what memory should my friend get? What other ways can I troubleshoot this problem.

2. Ultimate-Omen macrumors member

smoke less you must! :D
    seriously...ram type makes NO difference in wow besides frames per second (in example, 1gig of pc-2100 is much worse than pc-3200), unless of course, the ram you're using is broken. That selection you read on worldofwarcraft.com is most likely outdated because the majority of WoW players have pc-3200 ram or better.

3. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Honestly Blizzard says there is a lot of stuff that is unstable for WoW. But seriously if it was a RAM problem don't you think you would have other noticable problems when running anything on your system? It's probably another crappy Windows problem and mixed with some fasical support by Blizzard.

And more to the point join the Mac OSX world.....

4. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I get the same error, most often in IF :rolleyes:

The machine has 2Gb of PC3200, however the ram happily passes memcheck. Not to mention everything else, including BF2 which is very ram hungry, runs just fine.

I've tried many different configurations in WoW and the nvidia control panel, but it's made no difference

rest of the spec,

3800 X2
    2Gb 3200 (2x 1Gb)
    7800GT 256Mb
    Asus a8n sli premium
    500w PSU

The rest shouldn't matter, all temps are well in order, running win2000 fully patched up. Normally i'd just put this down to a windows oddity, but since everything else is working flawlessly I'm thinking it's some incompatibility between something WoW is doing and drivers/hardware

I can't see 3200 ram being unstable in one particular program, just don't see how that could happen *shrug*

This didn't used to happen with my old PC (512Mb 2700), or my dads (1.5Gb 3200) for that matter, but neither share any common parts :rolleyes:

*edit* typo :D

5. luna crescent thread starter macrumors member

6. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Format c:\, reinstall windows, reinstall wow.

Seriously, 1.9 screwed up alot of stuff.

7. Ultimate-Omen macrumors member

well good thing you aren't using windows xp. 2000 is much much much more tolerable and reliable than xp. from what i can tell it's either a conflict with the agp or pci-express drivers or your registries have somehow been messed with. My suggestion is to either reinstall windows, upgrade windows (xp sux!!!1!!!one!) or do a reinstall with partitioning.
    by partitioning i mean before you reinstall windows, partition your harddrive into two. so basically make it have a 20/60 (if you have a 80gig HD) for example. The 20gig part. will be the c drive while the 60 part. will be the d, e, f, etc. And from this point you should have the OS on c and NOTHING ELSE!...all apps and docs and media go into the second, bigger, partition. Though this won't necessarily fix any issues, it will provide you with added security and streamline your data flow. :D

p.s.: THAT IS A WICKED PC!

8. louis_sx macrumors regular

Who made this fantastic 500W PSU? Truthfully, brand of PSU matters more than rated wattage. A "good" brand like Antec, Thermaltake, Enermax, Ultra, PC Power and Cooling, etc. in a 400W variety can give better, cleaner power than a no-name Premier or Deer or Wintec or something like that.

9. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

oops forgot about this thread :eek: sorry :D

hehe, anyway,

I'm not bothered about fuffing about with partitions, no really, it's a games machine, so if i zap the hdd I'm quite happy to reinstall the lot. The only reason i don't use XP is i don't like giving money to Microsoft, as bad as that sounds, and i got 2k for free (legally i might add)

Updating all the drivers seemed to fix it, at least for a couple of days, but now i dont get past the load screen :cool:

I've got the PSU box upstairs somewhere, can't remember the brand, but i know it's a nice enough one, I've been building, setting up and generally fiddling with PC's for a long long time so i know what i'm at for the most part, i also especially know about power supply of almost all kinds :)

Funny thing is, i've had more luck running WoW under wine on my linux lappy, al be it using openGL :rolleyes: