WoW not running well?

Discussion in 'Games' started by brink, Jul 8, 2006.

1. brink macrumors newbie

Well i have a PC not a mac, but it seems i can't get any answers on any other sites, and you guys seem to know what your talking about here so here we go.

I have a
    2.4 GHZ P4
    1.5 GB ram (RD)
    GeForce 7800 GS
    500watt power supply.

My friend:
    2.0GHZ P4
    1GB ram (DDR)
    GeForce Ti 4400
    300 watt power supply.

If anyone knows about Nef, on phase 1 i get terrible frames, while using the same settings as him. He gets amazing frames, nothing lags at all. I just bought this graphics card hoping to increase framerates..

What could be my problem? I have PCI slot fan, as well as other fans blowing on my graphics card, and its staying at a steady 40 - 43 degrees celsius.

He just has a regular eMachine.. I don't get it, can anyone help.

I have a few mods running, discord action bars, discord unit frames, but thats it. I even disabled them to test it and i still get lots of framerate lag.

2. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Is there a difference between your network connections? A lot of WoW involves not just processing things on your computer, but sending information back and forth with the servers.

3. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

4. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

I'd guess either power supply issues or maybe a few other things. You have a "500 watt" power supply, but what's the brand? I've got a "450W" PSU that can't run my system, but a 350W Thermaltake does an admirable job. I'm going to start there, but as was already pointed out, your internet connection might be at fault.

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Do you have a firewall (hardware in yout router and/or software) installed? If so, do you have the correct ports open for WoW? The ones I have open are TCP 4000 and 6112-6118 although I'm not sure they'd be the same for Windows. Also, do you maybe have any other things running (even in the background) that are using the same ports?

To test the graphics card, maybe try turning off all graphical effects as well. And what resolution are you both running at? If you're running a 30" monitor at a super high resolution and he's on a 15" that could mean a large difference in framerates.

6. brink thread starter macrumors newbie

he is lanned with me, is it using the same network card as me.

7. brink thread starter macrumors newbie

I have DMZ enabled to my IP. Also, im running 1152 x 864
    Every setting pretty much on medium.