WOW! Now You Know PC's Are Bad!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by CubaTBird, Jun 27, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What happened?

Did Intel spec the wrong memory modules.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    wow thats really a kick in teh teeth for hp, its sad that so many machines could be affected. it will destroy consumer confidence

4. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

5. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Hahaha, unnnnnlucky ;). Not that i like HP computers at all lol, though there printers and odd periferals are ok!

Mark.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

From the sounds of it though, the flaw is in the mem providers and the Intel chipset...the article seems to imply that anyone who used these providers during that timeframe along with the specific chipsets should also have the same issue. So maybe HP is just the first to isolate it?

7. raptorhigh macrumors member

yeah we bash hp, but down the road we'll probably find out apple used them (but they won't do anything about it).

8. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Well, unless Apple starts using Intel chipsets, this particular issue couldn't affect them anyway... :rolleyes:

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i don't see what the big deal is. apple is effectively "recalling" iBook motherboards too...

10. goodwill macrumors regular

i agree with this. i think from a consumer confidence aspect the computer market is saturated with these types of technicalities and often times are overlooked by the average consumer who isnt aware of what they need to be taking into consideration regarding a specific product or product line they are looking at. IMO, I also believe much of it is brand loyalty. I'm crazy about Apple and as long as their customer support is good and active, then I am pleased. Now if I had one of these 900,000 notebooks and I wasn't reimburse from a customer support aspect, I'd never buy whatever line of computer it is. Well, ok maybe Apple still. Despite being inconveniant, I think it would be more of another thing if they installed spyware/adware into 900,000 of the notebooks.

11. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Gak sound slike a nightmare, 900,000 machines, of many models which could have one of many chipsets, one of many processors and one of many sizes of memory chip from one of many memory companies. I really would not want to have to sort out that problem.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Despite HP's sales numbers, is this the same in respect numbers sold. Alao the major point would to HP's credit, how soon were they willing to admit their problem verses Apple?

13. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

at the bottom of Apple's homepage there's a link to the iBook logic board replacement program. It wasn't really a recall, but they'd replace it if it didn't work. Happened to my mom's iBook.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I knew that, and there are some threads here on that point. But you seem to make an issue that Apple is just as bad as HP with it's 900K. Thought you had numbers to back yourself up. It just sounded like you felt Apple's issues were as bad as Hp's.

15. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

it wasn't me saying that, it was someone else.
    edit: it was jxyama you quoted

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Okay, I've said it in other threads, and I'll say it here. The problem with the iBooks is not the board itself, but the casing. When carried by a corner with the display open (you shouldn't be doing that anyway), it allows too much flex, and thus torques the logic board. Replacing the board is really only a temporary solution. To avoid it in the future, support the weight of your iBook evenly.

17. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Counterfit: That's actually not the problem the majority of the time. The problem is twofold:

-Isolated display issues:
    The wires connecting the display to the video card run through the hinge in the case design. However, these wires are of very small gauge and over time can be twisted to the point of failure, or of the insulation coming apart, shorting out the wires. Higher-quality or higher-gauge wires fix this issue, as would larger conduits for the wires to run through.

-Logic board issues:
    The RF shielding around the various cables running across the logic board can sometimes poke out of the ends of the cables and short out against the case. Less frequently, the insulation can come apart and the RF shielding short out against the case. In either case, the logic board can be shorted out and possibly damaged this way. Higher-quality RF shielding and insulation fixes this issue.

Yes, both of these have been confirmed by an Apple authorized tech (not one that works for Apple). I haven't got the link anymore, but he took apart known problem iBooks and took photographs of both phenomena.