WoW on 17" iMac Core Duo

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sutekidane, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I just got a 17" iMac Core duo, 1.83 ghz. When playing wow, I get decent framerates, but the gameplay is very, very choppy, like it pauses a lot. The performance overall of the system is funny. All the universal apps are extremely fast, but as soon as I open a powerpc one, it pauses and slows down.

When are they releasing the update for WoW to make it Universal?

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

very soon, next update, how much ram do you have? WoW is quite ram dependent, need at leas 1GB

3. kindrom macrumors newbie

At least 1GB? Interesting... while my 12" PB -- which has 768MB -- has never seemed wholly adequate, I'd always attributed that to its sad little GeForce FX Go 32MB. My (now dead) gaming PC only has 512 and never had the horrible pausing (and subsequent grinding of the hard drive) in high-population areas.

Maybe this has more to do with OSX's heavy ram overhead? Or the 96MB difference in video ram?

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

my pc lagged with 512MB in a few places on medium settings, and i have an x800XT and an athlon 64, ran silky smooth with 1GB.

anything above 512MB is good, as the game takes about 300MB and you dont want any disk swaping so you have to have that much free before you start the game.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly. And with Rosetta your gonna need a whole heap more to keep it going smoothly. At least you don't have long to wait for a native version but

Will that be just an update (as apposed to us having to get it on DVD) because I would have thought it would be a considerable size as nearly all the code is re-written?

6. Hydra macrumors regular

Hydra

By the end of the month being rumoured, but u never now. At least next month, I'm eager on knowing the outcome too.

7. NerdBoy macrumors member

NerdBoy

I read on the internet that they are releasing the universal binary for free in.. either 3 weeks or 3 months, I forget

8. Sutekidane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I have stock ram, but that isn't really the issue. This stuttering is pretty unusual. But the performance of other non-universal apps act similarly. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon, but for now, I'll just use my gaming pc to play wow.

9. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

good to know blizz is keeping up with the Mac community and not treating us as some step child left to sit in a dark corner :D

10. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

If your frame-rate is okay with rosetta, then imagine what it will be with native code ;)

11. Nikore macrumors newbie

They are making it universal with patch 1.9.3, I don't know when its comeing out but it should be pretty soon. Like 3 weeks or less, it's kind of good to know that the PPC vertion is playable with rosetta, i would of imagened it to be worse then it runs on my ibook.

12. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

At Macworld they said they were shooting for the end of January, but I'm guessing it will slip a bit.

Le'ts just hope blizzard is cool and updates WC3 and Starcard/Diablo II as well... I doubt it though. Yeah, yeah, they may run in Rosetta, but I'd rather leave the rest of my system resources for something else.

13. Sutekidane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I wouldn't call it playable, I think it ran better on my old 1ghz imac g4, with a 32mb geforce 4mx...