WOW on 20 inch iMac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by iMacMike, Jan 12, 2007.

1. iMacMike macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2007
    I apologize in advance if this has been beaten to death before..

I own an old 17 inch iMac (850 MHz, 512 MB RAM) - it is over 3 years old now and I am looking to get a new iMac.

While the 24 inch is VERY attractive, I am not sure I can justify the total expense (at least not justify it to my wife!). While I am not saying that playing WOW is the ONLY factor in a 20 inch vs a 24 inch, it is A factor.

So - keeping in mind I have been playing WOW on my existing iMac (and, really it runs OK - except in cities) - will the 20 inch new iMac - with an upgrade to 2 GB of RAM and the 256 MB card work great for WOW? It is about a $300 or more price difference - so just looking for some guidance.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    That's the machine I play it on.

You'll be fine everywhere.

Heck during last nights Burning Crusade Beta "world event" (CM's came on and there were a good 300 people on my screen and creatures) I was still able to do stuff. That's a *very* abnormal situation to be playing at.
  3. iSee macrumors 68040

Oct 25, 2004
    It will be as smooth as butta' on a new iMac...

I'm not sure exactly which configurations you are comparing when you mention the $300 price difference, but get the 2GB of RAM (that will be useful far into the future, and not just for WOW). I'm not sure what effect upgrading the graphics card from 128MB to 256MB will do but there have got to be benchmarks of some kind for WOW floating around. At the least, 256 will help future-proof your mac. Two years from now you'll either be really happy you got the 256 or kicking yourself for skimping with 128.
  4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    I have some 20" top spec Core Duo iMac's and yes, it can be pretty smooth, but only with practically all settings on minimum.

This could probably be improved upon by lowering the resolution, but I expected better.

I've got some C2D iMac's on the way, I look forward to seeing if that little extra grunt makes much of a difference. I'd imagine it's the ATI graphics card, though, that lets it down - and that hasn't changed.

It's playable and everything, just don't expect to be able to have all the fancy effects turned on and up.
  5. wcalderini macrumors member

Dec 7, 2004
    But with Boot Camp and XP...

I've noticed that it runs much faster still in Windows XP.
    Actually about a 15-20fps difference in most cases.
    I am using the stock ATI card with 128MB ram though.

iMac 20 inch CD2 2.16 GHz
    2 GB Ram

6. iSee macrumors 68040

Oct 25, 2004
    WTF? That is weird. I've played on my brother's iMac 20" with most settings maxed and it is completely smooth, even in busy areas... I get the same good results on my MBP CD... I guess I'm not 100% sure about the resolution my brother was running at, but it looked really good so it has to be pretty high (on my MBP it is at 100% resolution)

Also, occasionally when I start up WOW it is very choppy. I reboot my Mac and everything is smooth (as butta') again.

Well, I guess it's not smooth for everyone for some reason...
  7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    I'd be interested to know what resolution that is, iSee.

FYI ours run at the full, native resolution both in WoW and out.

I also run WoW on my Mac Pro and ACD 30" at full resolution with the ATI X1900... now that's something that has to be seen to be believed!
  8. nylock10 macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2006
    The WOW demo played on full details on my iMac (20", 2GB RAM, x1600 256MB graphics chip).

It is amazing, the speed was nice and I had lots and lots of objects in view that wouldn't slow a thing down.
  9. iSee macrumors 68040

Oct 25, 2004
    I'll find out when I get the chance...

I wonder, though, if your iMac isn't just embarassed by your Mac Pro/ACD 30 setup and is refusing to try its best ;)
  10. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    After the patch, performance on intel macs shot through the roof. And if you think WoW is playable on your current mac, it will DEFINITELY be playable on the 20inch iMac.
  11. bobber205 macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2005
    That happens to me on my macbook too sometimes.