WoW on an iBook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by smurphur, Dec 5, 2004.

1. smurphur macrumors member

Hey,
    I'm looking to get an ibook, as I really want a laptop... and I'd like to do some gaming but don't want to wait for the next rev of the powerbook... If they do upgrade it to a new proc, I'd prefer to wait until the 2nd gen release. So, I figure if an upgrade does come soon I will be waiting for some time. Anyway, WoW is one of the games along with warcraft3 that I would be playing. How does a new 12in 1.2ghz ibook do with WoW? I'm sure it changes depending on where you are and what is going on... So if you want to be specific with performance that is fine, but I'd be happy with just a general description.

Thanks!

2. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

If they optimize WOW really, and I mean REALLY good, it might work half decent. Right now, people with G5's and powerbooks complain about performance. iBook is not a good idea for WOW.
    But it also depends on how demanding you are. If you put everything on lowest, it might actually play (mostly in teen fps) but play. :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=100033

3. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

hey original poster...

i have the same iBook ur talkin about, i currently play warcraft 3 TFT onit...custom gaming at least...and i get alittle bit of lag...

i'd get the powerbook...iBook is only for flash/photoshop/word processing and websurfing IMO at least....

anything beyond that is pretty intensive...

PS: max out ur ram....imean it sounds pretty insane but it really makes a difference, at least to me, im pretty demanding to performance...

right now i have 768

512 added...and i really wish i did a 1 gig...instead..

4. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

I played beta with a 867MHz 12" PowerBook G4 w/ 640MB RAM. I couldn't crank up the LOD like I could on my Pentium 4, but the game was very playable. I think a lot of people complaining about performance might be suffering from server lag, which doesn't have anything to do with the client performance.

5. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Yep, it's true.

The lower your ping and the lower the server population, the higer your frame rates...