WoW on iMac...

Discussion in 'Games' started by fallofmart, May 4, 2005.

1. fallofmart macrumors newbie

Apr 27, 2005
    I've decided to sell my ibook and get a iMac, would WoW be playable on this -

17-inch widescreen LCD
    1.8GHz PowerPC G5
    600MHz frontside bus
    512K L2 cache
    512MB DDR400 SDRAM
    160GB Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-load Combo Drive
    ATI Radeon 9600
    128MB DDR video memory
    56K internal modem

How much slow down can I expect? Will I be able to enjoy it to it's fullest?

2. makey macrumors member

Apr 25, 2005
    WoW will be fine on that computer. Let's just say that WoW would probably work fine on the iBook you are selling, unless it is one of the really old clamshell models.
  3. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    i play WoW just fine on my mini just fine. maybe i can't have all the bells and whistles, but i feel that i am still enjoying it quite fully. the new imac should run it just wonderfully.
  4. JLaFrance macrumors member

May 24, 2004
    The new iMacs are beasts, it should do pretty well.
  5. Jopling macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    I have one of the original imac g5 20 inchers at 1.25 gigs of ram and with panther WoW ran awful. It was really puzzling, because it ran fine on my 1.33 ghx 1gig ram 17 inch pb. Both have 64mb gfx cards. Now that I have Tiger i haven't really played around with the settings, but the iMac doesn't lag as much on the lowest settings.
  6. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Because a Radeon 9700 Mobility will kick a GeForceFX 5200's behind any day of the week... :)

Don't compare graphics cards by VRAM. You want to look deeper than just VRAM.
  7. zen macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2003
    Actually, would WoW run on an 800Mhz iBook G4? I know the specs say 933, but I've got 640MB RAM and 2 megabit broadband. Obviously it wouldn't be great, but playable?
  8. Kosher Terror macrumors member

Jan 6, 2004
    I have a 15" 800mhz G4 iMac (768mb RAM), and WoW is playable (at the lowest settings). I don't know how your iBook would do, but hopefully that might give you an idea. If you can borrow a friends disk, and try their account out to see if it runs.
  9. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2003
    Washington DC
    From my experience, WoW is pretty scalable. You can run it on relatively low-end computers, though obviously lacking some of visual quality.
  10. zen macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2003
    Thanks guys - I don't know anyone around who plays WoW, so I think I'll just jump in. We're upgrading to a new machine next year, but I figured I could at least get in the door of WoW for the moment.
  11. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

Mar 11, 2005
    down to earth, far away from any clouds
    I played on my 2 year old 12" pb 867 mhz with 1 gb ram for about 1 month and it was ok. Recently I've read in a WoW forum about a guy who played with a g3 ibook! The link was in a WoW thread at macrumors, but can't remember where... I imagine it should run ok on your ibook, just don't participate in any large raids.

Since last friday I've got my new baby and along with many other things WoW looks great. I play at full resolution (1280 x 854) with most settings on medium and a few on high. Sooo with that new iMac the game should look awesome :eek:
  12. t0ast macrumors member

Sep 29, 2004
    I'm playing WoW on my 400 MHz "Sawtooth". Laggy, but fully playable. Getting a 1GHz upgrade for it to squeesh aditional performance out of it.

As for a 1.8 GHz, WoW would run nicely. My iMac G5 20" @1.8 GHz runs WoW like a dream, raiding being the only exception.
  13. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    I played WoW on my iBook below with my friends 10 day free account. Now I'm hooked and I need to buy the game. I would recommend getting a better machine, but it is playable at minimum settings. I had no problem. I would think the 17" iMac would be great for play WoW.

14. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2002
    Kellogg IA
    That was me. It does run on my g3 800 iBook. You are not going to do any PvP or raids, but turn down the settings and it's playable in a pinch. Chugs along at 10-15 fps usually.