WoW on Intel iMac

Discussion in 'Games' started by arn, Jan 13, 2006.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

People see this?

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/1/12/2478

They mention WoW for Intel will be released in 3 weeks and will be free - I assume they're saying that the upgrade will be free.

arn

2. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

That's pretty exciting. The MacBook Pro's should perform pretty nicely as well... definitely a huge step up from the 10-20fps I'd get on my 1.5Ghz G4 PowerBook.

3. Nikore macrumors newbie

The one thing I was wondering is what where the settings they where useing. If they where maxed out on everything then that pretty much kicks my PowerMac's butt!! None the less it kicks my ibooks butt even if they turned everything off!

4. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

The article doesn't give specifics, but it does say: "... and this was pretty much going full tilt in the settings"

5. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Ye, supposedly Intel support will be included in patch v. 1.9.3 or 1.9.4.

Good to see that performance doesn't dissapoint.

6. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

One more thought...

If and when people are able to install Windows XP on the new Intel iMacs/MacBooks, it will be very interesting to see how the framerates compare when running WoW in Windows vs. running it under Mac OS X.

Windows XP vs. Mac OS X ... who will win? :D (I'd guess Windows XP because DirectX is supposed to be very optimized for performance at this point)

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

100 FPS! Jesus H Christ :D My Power Mac Dual G5 / 6800 Ultra DDL is a POS. :D

8. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Well I just picked up 2 Intel iMacs from my local Apple store today for my Uncle and my cousin so I'll be interested to see how many FPS my cousin gets without it running the Universal Binary. I'm sure it won't be as good but I'm sure it will be a good baseline with nowhere to go but up. I'm hoping the 256 VRAM will help boost performance in WoW because I decided not to take one from the store and buy one online.

9. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

*does happy dance*

I assume it's similar to this for the macbooks.

eeeee!!!

10. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Nice...

On a somewhat related note, has anyone else noticed a performance decrease from the latest WoW patch? 1.9.2 I think.

11. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Thats it.

I NEED AN INTEL POWERMAC.

I NEED TO RUN WOW AT 1920 * 1200 RES WITH ALL SETTINGS ON HIGH

I NEED TO CALM DOWN.

:p

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Not exactly on topic, but whatever... :)

Was playing WoW on a friend's Windows PC today and he gets an effect where sounds echo if you're in a cave. Neither of my Macs do this, and there doesn't seem to be an option for it in the settings. Any idea why he gets this effect and I don't?

13. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I really didn't need to read this...

I'm trying not to buy a 20" Intel iMac on the basis that I don't want 1st gen hardware, and it needs to run Protools and a bunch of 3rd party apps ALL of which are bound to be really slow in coming over to UB...

...but WoW at 100fps for free?

Bastards...

Just... bastards....

<cries quietly>

:D

14. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

REV A. myth is a killer :p

its all under warranty - come on order one

15. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Never really understood 1st gen fears. I've had a number of 1st Gen Apple products (iBook, iPod, G4 iMac, my current G5) and never really experienced any issues.

Sure, new, faster hardware is always around the corner, but thats how it is regardless.

If these machines can perform in this fashion and you have a need (or desire) for one, then go get one and enjoy it!

This is really great news!

16. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I bought a 1st gen iMac and was, and still am happy with my Mac.

I wouldn't buy another iMac, simply because i want a Powermac, but 1st gen worries are mostly, as said earlier, a myth.

Roll on the Powermac replacement!

17. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I'm not sure the first generation worries are a myth, though some people may take them too far. I have a friend that repairs computers for a living, and he says he sees lots of Macs that are first generation, significantly more than later generations. Does this means you are likely to get a faulty one? No. The vast majority are still fine, and even if you do, it's covered under warranty. But I wouldn't call first generation worries a "myth".

On a side note, when I got my powerbook, it was several generations into the line, and I was all happy until I opened it and saw a crack in the middle of my trackpad. Of course, Apple replaced it (and my screen which had a blue line running horizontally) for free. Just thought I should point out that waiting for later generations does not guarantee you from getting a computer without a problem.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Agreed, look at the Rev E powerbook.

Though my Jan 04' Rev A G5 powermac had problem with processor. 1 had to be replaced only a couple of weeks into purchase. Since then 2-years later had no problems.

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes... like my +2 years iBook G4@800 didn't feel old enough... :(

Now, give me a 12-13" MacBook at an affordable price... :D

20. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

ehem, applecare.;) :D

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Exactly. It's just a vocal minority. There was a recent issue with iPods (cracked screens?) and if you listened to forums you'd think that the majority of them had problems. When Apple announced a repair programme, they also said that the problem affects less than 0.1 % of units. Vocal minority.

22. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Yep, and I cancelled.

I'm happy to play the game at 15-25 FPS which is what I used to get on my Powerbook, but it got worse in the last patch, and the latency and disconnection issues were just lame. Unless I hear that things have got better, I'm done with the game.

23. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Yes, but then again my entire computer has been having a sudden performance decrease in the last few days. I think I need to reinstall the OS...

24. plonk420 macrumors newbie

not why you cancelled. those latency isues cropped up in 1.9 and 1.9.1, and were fixed in 1.9.2 (patched within last day or two, less than 4-5days of 1.9 having been released, IIRC). as for speeds, not sure what to say. i run a 6600GT ^_^

25. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Warranty is fine and they fixed my 17", but it's a pain in the arse to have to shift the thing back and forth.

It took two trips to Apple to fix and in the end they gave me an entirely new machine.

I'd always avoided 1st gen hardware, not just in computers, but in pro-audio too, and the one time I break my own rule I get a complete lemon that would crash of you looked at it funny...

That said, if Digidesign get their act together and announce a UB version of Protools I might just have to....

...the internal pics look like a dogs breakfast though...

Meh.:D

I still think there are more problems with 1st gen hardware, anyone with a problem is going to be vocal.

This is still Apple beta testing in the public (paying) domain.

Anyway, I cleared the last of the Mauradon quests last night, took the Princess down and levelled to 50 with my Warrior... All on a 1st gen 17" G4 1Ghz PowerBook...