Wow on macbook 1.83 with 1G

Discussion in 'Games' started by gamerz, Oct 27, 2006.

1. gamerz macrumors 6502

gamerz

Hey,

I'm trying to look for a laptop right now that i can do most of my school work on... but still be able to play high end games. I decided to get a macbook 1.83 ghz (NOT PRO). I was just wondering if any of you play WoW on it could you please tell me your framerate in outdoors, crowded places, and/or how it runs. Also include the specs of your macbook and the system that you play it on.

Thanks

2. gamerz thread starter macrumors 6502

gamerz

3. JohnMC macrumors 6502

MacBook (Pro)

Gamerz, first off I do not play WOW and I do not own a MacBook so I can't give you any framerate info, sorry. My question to you is do you want a MacBook because of size, color, price, or a combination of those? As I said before I do not play WOW, but I can tell you that you will get much better performance out of a MBP that has a GPU inside than you will with any Intel GMA950 chip. So if your only issue is price (and I do not know if it is) why not buy a refurbished 15" CD MBP for only $1399.00 ($600.00 off) and have the extra power (it is only $300.00 more than a low-end MB, $100.00 more than a high-end white, and $100.00 less than a blackbook :rolleyes: )

Just a thought and best of luck with what ever you choose, JohnMC.

4. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Outside it's generally about 15 fps.
    Inside it's typically 30 fps.
    It's weird which areas are slow - it's not necessarily the most crowded. But anyway, I've seen it get down to 8 fps.

The above numbers are with all the default settings at 1280x800 resolution. So WoW is definitely playable on the MacBook. I haven't done any large endgame raids or anything, but I've played an Orc Warlock to 37th level and a Gnome Rogue to 29th level.

MacBook is great, by the way. Best computer I've ever owned, and the best value that Apple has.

5. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Here's a benchmark to confirm what he's saying:

http://barefeats.com/mbcd3.html

The MacBook gets 16 fps on the benchmark, the MacBook Pro gets 38 fps. So the difference is quite significant. I love my MacBook but the Pro is definitely a much better gaming machine. That being said, 16 fps is still completely playable, so I've still greatly enjoyed playing WoW on my MacBook.

6. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Windows on XP -- 30 fps all the time. When I first enter a town, it's about 15 or so for awhile, then hovers about 25.

In Stormwind I usually get 25 to 30 too. :)

7. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

My 1.83 GHz Macbook with 512MB of RAM is murdered by WoW.

"The shaders, the shaders!" it screams...

But I still play.

8. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I'm curious to know if the Macbook will beat my iBook's WoW performance with the recent PowerPC OpenGL tweak in OS X (I get about 10 fps in Ogrimmar, but I always stay above 20 when I'm outside). I know the Macbook will win in Windows, though. The Windows version of WoW seems extremely optimized for integrated graphics (it even runs fine on my girlfriend's terrible Celeron-powered Toshiba with Intel Extreme 2 Graphics), so you could always just dual boot.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wow at this stage is not a high end game. The fact that the macbook just about holds it together is ok, but in reality for any real gaming future you need somthing with more oomph.

The macbook pro may cost more - but gaming wise it would be a safer bet - especially 12 months from now.

I love my macbook - but its far from the ideal 'high end games' machine. That's not what the macbook was made to do.

If gaming is more important than osX you may need to look at somthing on the pc side as there are far more impressive gaming rigs on that side of the fence, howeve for me - osX is more important than any game.

10. gamerz thread starter macrumors 6502

gamerz

gaming is not as important as OSX... it would just be a nice bonus. And where would i be able to find a refurbished mbp?

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Why, Apple's store itself: Deals.

12. gamerz thread starter macrumors 6502

gamerz

Wow...those are so frickin cheap... thanks for showing me that... How will WoW run those?

13. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It will run very well.

14. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Get the MBP or you will hate yourself.

15. gamerz thread starter macrumors 6502

gamerz

thanks... but from the link, the price says $1399 for a standard one... and then i went to the site normally and it was 1499. Any help?

16. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

No, it didn't change price, the $1399 one is sold out.