WoW on MacBook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by patseguin, May 18, 2006.

1. macrumors 65816

patseguin

Anyone with a new MacBook tested World of Warcraft on it? I am thinking of one and would like to know how it runs. Can I expect similar performance to what I get on my 1st gen Dual 2GHz G5?

2. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

MY GOD! How, Just How, Quite Simply How many more posters are going to be starting the exact same thread thats all over the forum. Really do people read other section, do people ever use the search function?

MacBook and Wow is JUST playable in Windows XP via bootcamp using Med-Low settings.

On OS X which uses open gl rather than Direct X its not really playable unless you like visiting 'still city....'

3. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Search next time, and stick with your Dell for mobile WoW.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Boy you people sure are picky abouth threads. Don't answer if it bugs you so much.

I did a search on "WoW on Macbook" and "World of Warcraft on Macbook" and all I could find were discussions on WoW on Macbook PRO.

5. macrumors 6502a

The MacBook should be sufficient for WoW if you don't mind low-detail settings.

I played WoW on a Dell Dimension 4700 with the GMA 900 for a while at one point and it wasn't terrible (for reference, it was actually quite similar to an upgraded PowerMac G4 tower with a 1.8GHz CPU and a Radeon 8500...I ended up dumping both and getting an iMac G5). The MacBook has two things going for it that the Dell I played on didn't:

1.) The Dell had dual-channel DDR2 400 RAM and the BIOS would not allow faster RAM to run faster...that means that the entirety of my RAM bandwidth was being torn between the graphics and the CPU. Since the 945 chipset uses 667MHz DDR2 and the CoreDuo uses a slower bus, it seems to me that one channel of 667MHz DDR2 bandwidth is available to the graphics system on the MacBook. I maybe wrong, I guess.

2.) The CPU is just that much more capable than a 2.8GHz Prescott.

6. macrumors 6502

From every single thread with a post made on or after yesterday (the day MacBooks were announced), this is the ONLY one with a title refering to WoW and MacBook. Cut patsenguin some slack and dont be oversensitive.

7. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Look through all the macbook threads. There's at least someone hogging it with a query on WOW!!!!

Besides a little more research such as looking at

http://xlr8yourmac.com/

You will find people have already posted results.

There does that answer :p

NOW if only the same people pratling on about Final Cut would look at that site too :D :D

8. macrumors newbie

Memory Intensive

WoW is extremely memory intensive... as an example, I have a dual 1.8 G5 with 512MB of RAM, my wife has a G4 iBook (1.67) with 1GB RAM. Performance on her machine is almost equivalent to mine. OSX has a fairly large memory footprint-- over 300MB. 512 just doesn't cut it for WoW, especially if you're a heavy mod user. Fire up the game, switch to windowed mode, and then run the memory monitor utility. It's an eye-opener.

More memory = less swapping to disk = better all around performance.

9. macrumors member

NO KIDDING! I for one am sick and tired of the forumhounds who pick people apart for asking a question that might have come up before. I, for one, do not read every single post and/or thread at macrumors, so if I don't see it in the sidebar, I post a new thread asking for help with some issue. You are totally right, if it bugs 'em, why do they take the time to type out a rude reply? They could have easily just pasted the url to the thread they are referring to, thereby helping out the poster, and not seeming like a problem child.

10. macrumors member

Now THIS was a helpful reply, and a good point in the right direction. ;)

11. macrumors 601

HiRez

Thank you for the link. Those results are very disappointing, though I guess not that surprising. Sounds like it runs at about the same speed as my 4+ year old 800 MHz G4 TiBook with 32MB ATI Radeon 7500 Mobility. Considering that machine doesn't even meet the minimum WoW specs, that's not good, not good at all. If I could get a real mid-range dedicated graphics chip on the MacBook, I would have happily paid up to $200 extra for it and walked out with one today. This is something they should add to the black model to truly differentiate it and justify the extra money. The rest of the machine is very impressive, it's just that damned Intel graphics that keeps me from buying one. And since I'm not willing to shell out the extra for a MacBook Pro right now (I actually like the design of the black MacBook better), Apple won't be getting any of my money today.

12. macrumors 65816

slffl

WoW was playable on my 17" PB. I don't get how it's 'JUST' playable on a Macbook unless my 64MB Geforce4 MX is better than the Macbooks integrated graphics.

13. macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I didn't think WoW was playable on my Mac mini, but it drives a 23" ACD. The other day I ran WoW in Windowed mode instead and at a lower resolution and I was surprised at how well it worked.

Given how much smaller the resolution is on a MacBook it may well be quite playable with all the settings on low. You could always run it windowed at a lower resolution if needs be.

I have 2GB RAM in my Mac Mini, which I would imagine is a massive help. I don't think 512MB would be playable at any resolution.

14. macrumors 6502a

It is; your GeForce4MX accelerates "hardware T&L" (vertex transformation I think it what it's called in OpenGL) and the onboard GMA950 doesn't. It's like playing WoW with a Radeon7000 (which is also missing T&L). That's also why I think the GMA965 will be usable; since it DOES support that.

15. macrumors newbie

Umm.. Not my experience.. I got a macbook 1gb ram, 1.83 cpu..

In OS X, I find with almost completely MINIMAL video settings I get about 5-8 fps in the grossest places like the main mailbox in IF - I get about 10-20fps when in simple places..

In XP, with MAX video settings, I get 10-15fps in grossest places.. And about 15-40fps in other places (most often about 20-25, but I've had 40 briefly a few times).

Hence, as of Oct 3rd 2006 - I find wow runs far faster in XP. I heard a theory that this has to do with os x not allowing more than 64mb to be allocated to video while XP will allow up to 128. I'm not sure this is the case, if it is, someone just needs to figure out a kernel tweak to allocate more memory, but I suspect this problem has more to with directx being present.

I'd love to hear other theories. If anyone knows how to get os x to run wow faster, please share! I've emailed blizzard about it, hopefully I get an insightful response!

Anyway, if you're thinking about getting a macbook and wanna play wow.. It does run GREAT in windows (great if you're not expecting absolutely top notch performance) - but that's probably only if you have at least a gig of ram..

That said, if you're looking for a gaming machine, get a macbook pro or a cheaper PC with similar hardware. Macbooks aren't designed to be uber gaming platforms. Personally, I don't game like a mofo and am finding I'm extremely happy with my macbook.

Hope this info helps someone.

Cheers

16. macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I saw a thread a while back from a guy who was getting 35-60 frames per second on an MB.

17. macrumors newbie

Well, I'd get speeds like that if I turned down some of the settings. Remember I said I maxed out the video settings. Also - my framerate would be more in that range inside a place such as a small house by myself.. It's all a factor of what needs to be rendered around you..

Cheers

18. macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

He said that he had the settings at mid-to-high. I'll see if I can find the topic about it.

19. macrumors newbie

Right and I'm saying I'm running with all video settings maxed out... mid-to-high is not maxed out.

20. macrumors 68000

lmalave

Don't be such killjoys, people!!!! MacBook is fine for WoW.

On my modest MacBook, WoW plays just fine! I get about 15 fps outdoors and 30 fps indoors (including Ironforge), with whatever the default video settings are. I would definitely say WoW on the MacBook is more that "just playable". I've played countless hours with no issues. So if you want to play WoW and you already have a MacBook, then by all means get the game!!!

21. macrumors 601

gloss

In XP, WoW on a MacBook is totally playable at native resolution with all the details cranked, given that you have enough RAM.

22. macrumors 68000

lmalave

That sounds REALLY high for a MB. I get that high only on featureless rooms or hallways (and even then I've only topped out at about 45 fps).

Even turning down video effects and settings only made a difference of 5 fps. One thing I didn't try (because I was unwilling to compromise on it) is turning down the resolution. The only way I could see achieving that framerate on a MB is to set the resolution to the lowest setting...

23. macrumors newbie

Hey lmalave - you are infact referring to wow on a macbook with windows, not in OS X, right?

Cheers

24. macrumors 68000

lmalave

Hahahahahahaha! Windows on my MacBook!!!!???!!!??? Dear Lord, no. Never.

All the figures I gave are for OS X (10.4 to be precise).

So yes, there are 2 things I will not compromise on:
    1) playing WoW at lower than 1280 x 800 resolution
    2) installing Windows on my MacBook in any form (whether through BootCamp, Parallels, or whatever).

No need to install Windows, either. WoW is just fine on OS X. I've definitely logged plenty of WoW hours since I got my MacBook a few months ago. Though I don't have a level 60 yet, I have a level 37 orc warlock and a level 27 gnome rogue.

25. macrumors newbie

Well, I'd like to join you on that bandwagon.. But I find when I run wow on osx, it simply sucks. I mean, you can play it, but I find I have to turn down pretty well all the video settings to get frame rates of 10+ in places such as IF. My machine does have 1gb not 1.256gb like you, but I'd be shocked if that actually is what's making the difference... Please, help me use os x for wow... What are your video settings? Do you do anything special like disable various gui settings in os x or something?

Thanks