WOW on Powerbook G4

Discussion in 'Games' started by sotofish, Jan 8, 2006.

1. sotofish macrumors member

I need to buy a laptop for my work, looks like the new 15" G4 is the right one. I'm wondering if anyone has played World O' Warcraft on it. It plays sluggish on our year old iMac, I suspect because of the graphics card.I've never played with a Mac laptop, any idea how the game will play?

2. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

i dunno... i was kinda unimpressed with how games run
    on my power book. i paid big bucks for it and dont really see where
    the word "power" comes in to play. my buddy bought a dell notbook at the same time as me and his is way faster then mine. WoW looks great on his...
    but runs likeA$$ on mine. Starwars KotOR is so blocky on mine but on his, it looks like the xbox version... :( the sucky thing is.. that his was almost $1000 cheaper then mine...

he always jokes that i paid $2000 more to have a lite-up keyboard and a fancy apply logo on the back.:eek: :confused:

2 years later now... mine is so out dated and slow.. his is playing games like AoE3 and still lookin good.
    Edit: well, mine still "looks" better, but his is still keeping up with the new software and games.

3. aspro macrumors 6502

On my 12" WoW runs acceptably, but with everything on low. It definately wont blow you away but it is good enough to enjoy the game :)

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

On my Rev C PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz 15" (1.5 GB RAM, 64 MB VRAM) World of Warcraft ran perfectly fine at the native resolution, I don't know how well the 9700 will do with the high definition screens, but there was no problem at all running it on the previous model.

5. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

I have the newest 15" PB and a custom built PC with an overclocked Athlon 64 + Geforce 6800GT and I HATE playing on my powerbook. My PC has the options maxed with 4X AA and gets 50+ FPS while raiding. My powerbook has everything on minimum (forget what I put the resolution on, 800x600 I think) and gets probably 20 fps on average. Its playable but not fun to do molten core with. BUT keep in mind that ALL macs run WoW relatively bad compared to PCs, so the powerbook would be a good choice compared to other macs because the radeon 9700m is still a decent card.

6. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Man, there have been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Many threads on this. Search is your friend.

7. cvalda macrumors member

I'm on a 15" PB with 1 gig of RAM and the 64MB video card. If I'm not in Ironforge, I get a pretty consistent 30FPS. If I'm in IF, I get around 15. This is at 1280x876 (or whatever the highest res is for the 15") with most settings at minimum.

The game still looks pretty damn amazing, by the way. The sharpness of the LCD helps out a lot. My 1.3 GHz P3 with 512MB RAM and 128MB video card got 15FPS anywhere, except in ALL cities it would drop to around 8 or 9 FPS. Yeah, that sucked.