WoW on this???

Discussion in 'Games' started by gamerz, Nov 10, 2006.

1. gamerz macrumors 6502

gamerz

Hey, Ive been looking for a laptop for myself that is cabable of playing WoW well, and that i can do schoolwork and some editing stuff on. I was wondering though how would this macbook handle WoW:

Macbook 1.83ghz
    2G RAM
    60G hard drive
    GMA 950 with 64mb of VRAM

Thanks

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

*points to thread in sig*

Yes. It'll run. With 2 gigs of ram, quite well. I get 30 fps under windows xp with only 512 RAM.

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Why? Have you actually played it on a macbook? Settings down I get 30 fps all the time. I was in VC getting 60 the whole time.

5. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

If you have windows installed you can go to www.gamestop.com, go to reviews and then find WOW. There shoud be a "Can I Run This?" banner. They have it for most games.

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I'm guessing you run it in Windows? It's a lot slower in OS X. I only have 512MB of RAM, but I can't imagine more RAM would help it that much. Maybe I'm wrong.

7. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Actually, on a Mac Book more RAM will help significantly as it has integrated graphics, which means that system memory is used for graphics processing, leaving less available for applications, causing more paging of memory. A gig or more of RAM will yield large, noticable improvements in game performance.

8. kalun macrumors regular

I've heard that OS X restrict the amount of RAM assigned to video card. If that is true, then it shouldn't make a different given you have no background applications.

9. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Well 512MB of ram is hardly enough for WOW. Even though the graphics ram taken from that is set in OSX it still takes some leaving you with less than the 512MB minimum requirement for WoW. So yes, upping the ram will give you a noticeable improvement in gameplay. Most people say you should have a Gig for Wow anyway, even if you have a dedicated graphics card.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

another wow on macbook thread. just what the community needs. wheres 'dont hurt me' to point out the gma950 is crap and apple dont care for gamers. where are folks like 'lewion' to protest and tell him thet he's wrong...

if there is one sticky that this forum section could do with it's a wow on mac's with rough guidelines of frame rate, to stop the constant asking every week.

In fact guys with mac's of all varietys playing WoW please PM me your machine specs and framerates or playing experiences and I'll create one...

That way it's there for future reference and we wont have to be answering the same thread repeatedly....

11. gamerz thread starter macrumors 6502

gamerz

thanks for the input... alot of opoinons here... anyway bobber, you said that you get 30fps in windows... how many will i get in OSX cause im not willing to pay an extra 300+ dollars for windows and to get a licenses for it.

12. scott523 macrumors 6502a

You could be right. I went into CoD2 for the first time without changing any performance settings and I quitted the game in a panic because my MB fans went up to 6100RPM! So yea, I'm a bit weary about going back in. :eek:

13. colocolo macrumors 6502

Heh, I actually just looked at this thread to see DHM bashing the Macbook as he usually does... he amuses me as it seems thats his only purpose in here sometimes :D

14. gamerz thread starter macrumors 6502

gamerz

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

well I've got NO reply to my request for people to PM me their specs and experiences / settings with WoW.

I'm offering to compile somthing to help the gaming community/section.

Please guys you dont have to be shy, PM me. I need your assistance. Thanks.

16. gamerz thread starter macrumors 6502

gamerz

I look forward to reading that... anyway help me here... Is there a huge difference between playing WoW on windows than playing it on OSX? How would it run with 1G and a decent video card on windows???

17. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Wrong link. www.gamespot.com

18. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Official Barefeats benchmark was 16fps standing outside of Ironforge auction house at peak time:

http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd3.html

Personally, my performance is usually about 15fps outdoors, and 30fps indoors. It's quite playable, IMO. And fps might be boosted with the Burning Crusade release since it will implement multithreaded OpenGL.

19. dylan6950204 macrumors member

dylan6950204

i am a new member of this web sight but as ur problem i 2 am buying a new computer and one thing is i want to play wow so does any one no if it will work on a i mac with these specifications
    512MB memory
    160GB hard drive1
    24x Combo drive
    Intel GMA 950 graphics
    if not can some one tell me what i need to do to get it working

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

How would a CD 2.16 MBP w/ 1GB do playing WoW? I may get sucked in by co-workers and this laptop is the only machine i would probably play from.

Ed

21. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

in one word: AMAZING!
    :p
    a mbp has a decent video card and enough power to beet like some alienwares out there and even the dell xps ! go on and play :)

22. fireball jones macrumors member

WoW isn't crazy graphics intensive, if you can deal with the cities being 5fps chat rooms, you can play it on just about anything :D

23. shen macrumors 6502

spoiled

i can't imagine what settings some of you guys must use, or how spoiled you are. i play WoW on a G4 eMac with 512 RAM, and aside from hanging out in ironforge i never have any trouble at all.

...well except for the week that my DSL connection was all flakey, but that is hardly the machines fault.

"oh you need 4 gigs of Ram and a quad CPU and 2 gigs of dedicated video to kill murlocs!"

whatever...

24. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Wow, i had it running with everything on high and all the effects turned on and it never really slowed at all. Of course it drained my battery pretty damn fast though :D I wonder when they will utilize both cores, i noticed that it was really only taxing one of them while the other remained basically unused.