WoW OpenGL option on PowerPC (v1.12.1)

Discussion in 'Games' started by rbarris, Sep 26, 2006.

1. rbarris macrumors 6502

If you play WoW on a PowerPC system, you may want to try this new feature, which is in an experimental form in the 1.12.1 release:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=28306467&sid=1

Instructions are provided for enabling it and disabling it using a simple prefs file.

Depending on UI complexity and scene, it can provide a noticeable boost in FPS and smoothness.

2. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I tried putting this into terminal but I'm not sure if it worked.
    I copied the code from the link you gave (copied it into TextEdit and saved it).
    I then opened terminal and pasted it.
    I hit Control-D.
    I closed Terminal.
    I opened Wow.
    In Ironforge I noticed no difference.

Did I enter this correctly?

Thanks!

3. rbarris thread starter macrumors 6502

Ironforge may not be a scene that this change benefits, it doesn't accelerate the model animation stuff which is in high demand in that area.

But if you'd like to send me more details about your system on email, the email address is visible in my sig. Be happy to check it out.

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Thanks rbarris! It's great to see that Blizzard is working on creating a better experience for us PowerPC users even though Apple has gone X86 :) I'm crashing for the night. Just did some tower takeovers in East Plagues with my guild for the last few hours and now I need some sleep. I'll e-mail you some more info tomorrow.....or today I guess :)

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

That's pretty nifty for PowerMac users! Thanks!

Any details on the Intel-specific OpenGL optimizations that are being worked on and when those might be released?

6. rbarris thread starter macrumors 6502

It's part of the next major patch after the 1.12.x series. Technically the changes are only Intel specific, in that the new multi-threaded OpenGL is presently only available from MacOS X on a select set of Intel Mac models. This could change someday and if MT GL becomes available on PowerPC, WoW should be ready to go with it.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Can you tell us which models of Intel Macs this option is available on? We know that the Mac Pro is one, but are the C2D iMacs for example also ready for these changes?

8. rbarris thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been told but haven't confirmed first hand that the new MT GL support is there "out of the box" on the Core-2 iMacs.

Obviously our hope would be that this technology becomes more broadly available to the installed base of machines.

9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

So you're not waiting on Apple for a dependency? That's great news! Looking foward to getting those optimizations.