WOW: OS-X vs bootcamp Windows

Discussion in 'Games' started by HarrySlone, Nov 8, 2006.

1. HarrySlone macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I just got a new C2D macbook pro, and i have a question. I play WOW and now I want to play it on my new notebook. What I am wondering is whether its better to play it on OS-X or play it on windows with bootcamp.
    I did a google search and found a few things, the first was

"MacBook Pro
    2 GHZ Intel Core Duo
    2 GB Memory
    Radeon X1600

I'm running WOW at 1440 x 900 with all my graphic settings jacked all the way up
    ith these settings under OS X I hovered between 15 and 20 FPS. It was just barley playable but for raids and stuff it droped down to a lower resolution and take off a few of the fancy effects. Now on the same laptop, but running under Windows with the same crazy settings I averaged between 35 and 40 FPS."

From this it seems like the windows (direct x version) is much better.

The other thing I found on the blizzard website is that there is suposed to be a new update with multi-threaded OpenGL version around December. Anyone have any more information about this?

So basicly I am just looking for anyones advice or experiances.
    Thanks for any advice anyone could give.

2. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

wow if thats true, it looks like ill be playing mine in windows.

3. SBleed@mchsi.co macrumors member

SBleed@mchsi.co

Yeah I'd stick with windows for WOW.
    PCs generally have better performance for games.
    Right now it seems like the switch to Intel proccessors is making a lot of people question speed on Macs. Because at the moment PC based software seems to be emulated, not actually 100% supported, so just as with any emulator, it will work, but at a small speed decrease.
    My $0.02

4. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Sort of off-topic: how long are the WOW free-trials now?

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It should play fine under OS X. Although it may run better under Windows, I certainly wouldn't want to reboot every time I wanted to play.

7. TheSith macrumors regular

It plays fine for me on my C2D MBP 2.33 but I don't have ALL the graphics and stuff turned up. I find that a bit unnecessary. I average about 30-40 FPS with my settings and couldn't be happier.

8. defsquad macrumors regular

same here.
    i did turn on almost everything, and have everything but terrain distance jacked up all the way and still was hovering around 55fps in undercity by the bank; though that was this morning at an off peak time; and i'm using wireless to play instead of wired connection.

with more conservative settings i averaged 60fps or higher in undercity bank. i just got wow installed and everything updated this morning before work so i didn't have a chance to actually go do anything but stand around and marvel at how good it looked.

9. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Thanks!