WoW performace on latest revision 12" powerbook and iBook

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chrispy, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Hey all. I'm trying to decide which portable computer purchase. I play WoW but that is my only really graphically demanding duty. I was wondering if owners of both the latest 12" iBook and 12" Powerbook could tell me what kind of performance they get as I would like to compare the results. Thanks!

2. JasonL macrumors regular

I hope you are planning on playing this on an external monitor. Yikes.

I played WoW on my somewhat older PB (see sig) and it ran okay, but really only after I upped the RAM to 1GB. 512MB was awful, though you'll see plenty of people here that seem to think the game doesn't even use that much. I'm working on my third level 60 character, and have spent a ton of time on this game. 512MB doesn't cut it, even with the settings turned down.

Given that the newer 12" PB has a 20% faster CPU I'd say it should even run a bit better than on my PB, although its GPU is a bit worse (mine has a Radeon 9600 64MB). Again, I think the key is upping the RAM and running reasonable settings (you'll want to turn terrain distance down, for example).

With regard to the iBook, several people here seem to be happy with its WoW performance, and the newer ones have a tiny bit better of a GPU, although it is still bad. I'd be unable to deal with this game on an iBook, but maybe you would. The best thing might be to see if you can actually see how these games run and to make the decision for yourself.

Good luck.

3. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Does anyone know where I can find benchmark comparisons between the Radeon 9700 64MB, the Nvidia 5200 64MB and the Radeon in the current iBook? I would like to see them. Also, if someone has used the ibook or powerbook 12" with WoW please letl me know how it goes. Thanks to the prior poster for your review.

4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

I just installed WoW on my 1.25 GHz PowerBook 15" - it seems to run fine on whatever the default settings are - I have 2 GB of RAM and a 7200 rpm hard drive though.

5. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I'm heading to the Apple store tomorrow and will probably end up making a purchase. I have a Dell 2005FPW monitor and want a laptop for when I travel (as I do with my job and for college) so that kind of rules out the iBook as a posibility for me. Its really down to the 12" or 15" powerbook.. and I want a superdrive so that makes the 15" pretty costly... hmmm what to do...

6. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I play on that Powerbook. It's fine.

You get lag, but that is hardly the computer's fault.

7. JasonL macrumors regular

I'm going to have to disagree a bit. What I thought was lag in Ironforge was more due to the computer (my PB) than anything else. Ironforge is very smooth for me most of the time now, and I never 'lag' into the the moat (or whatever you want to call it) anymore now that I play on my PM (see sig for details).

Another thing that got way better was flying in and out of Ironforge. Whereas it used to be a total slideshow, it's all smooth now. Yes, the mail and AH systems lag a bit in IF no matter what, but I think a lot of the problem is people expecting a bit much out of less than spectacular gaming hardware.

8. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Just a tad bit off topic, but why does that rule out an iBook for you? I have a Dell 2005FPW and an iBook (12" 1.2GHz Radeon 9200 32MB) and although it is not DVI the image quality is great. It is so near to DVI that i can't see the difference. Before you think i'm blind or something, i was very surprised by the iBook because i can nearly always tell the difference between a monitor running in DVI and one running on VGA. The only bad thing you could possibly say about the iBook is the lack of VRAM makes expose a little choppy, but is that really worth 500 euro?

Then again, i am playing a little Devils advocate here because i actually want a PB but there is very little chance of me buying any computer with a 5200 graphics card. The 15" powerbook is looking more appealing with its 9700PRO although i'm not sure i can justify the price, especially at this time and considering i'll probably be mostly using it in clamshell mode. I think i'll just wait to see what updates the PB 12" gets.

9. bm7at81 macrumors newbie

I was playing WOW on my 12" 1.5Ghz PB with 768Mb of RAM last night for a few hours and it runs FINE! Admittedly it needs to be run on pretty much the lowest settings, but thats still plenty good enough for me! (p.s i also had firefox and Azureus running in the background)

Ive played WoW on my Desktop (P4 3.0Ghz, GF6600GT, 1GB Ram) and it honestly doesnt run that much smoother, maybe if you were really obsessed with your games you would notice.. obviously have all the details alot higher on the PC....

Cant comment for the ibook, but i am pleasantly surprised with the performance of the PB.. cant wait to get an external Keyboard + mouse and try it out on my 17" LCD :)

Get a PB... you know you want to!!

10. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Kinda off topic but I would like to know what peoples of opinions of acceptable game play on a system is... personally I will turn a game down to lowest settings across the board and as long as it runs smooth Im happy thats how Im playing BF2 and its still a blast.

Because everyone tends to have a limmit on how far they will turn down settings and still say it runs well, and everyones limmit varies. It's hard to get an accurate idea of how games run on a particular system..

11. JasonL macrumors regular

For an RPG I'd want a bare minimum of 20FPS or so at medium settings. For a first person shooter I'd want quite a bit higher. Frame rates in WoW vary quite a bit by location, server load, etc, but I usually get considerably higher than that with med-high settings at 1280x1024.

With my PowerBook I got down into the single digits quite a bit, on low settings. While I tolerated it then, I can't deal with it at all after having now played this game on my PowerMac.

12. persianpunisher macrumors regular

i have heard people playing WoW on the new iBook. How would that run?

13. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I play WoW on the iBook in my sig. It doesn't even meet minimum specs for WoW. I have a 45 Warrior, 24 Rogue, and 14 Priest. I run the minimum graphical affects and I get a good amount of lag in Auction House.

As for how it runs, "you go to war with the army you have". I can play the game, and that is all I need. It is so fun I'm surprised I took the time to check this website instead of playing. I was going to buy a new iBook if it had a 64MB graphics card. But since it didn't, I'll probably wait for the new PowerBook and see if that update can convince me to pick up a new 15". Its great to have a laptop with WoW on it because you can play anywhere and take it with you. And when you get into the game that is exactly what you'll want to do.

lasuther

14. persianpunisher macrumors regular

Do you think it would run well with the new 1.42 GHZ iBook with gig of ram?

15. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Considering I run it on a 800MHz and 640MB Ram, I think it would run great.

lasuther

16. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

It runs fine on the new iBook in my sig. If you are the type of person that needs all the eye candy maxed out then look elsewhere. If you run down at the lower setting the iBook will be fine.

17. persianpunisher macrumors regular

18. AnewMac macrumors regular

I run WoW on a stock 1.5 Ghz 12" powerbook. It runs fine everywhere, except when flying on a gryphon, or in Ironforge. It is still playable just a bit "lagging." I have been on quests with a group of 5 numerous times and it is fine. I say go for it. It is simply an oustanding game.

19. Ayre macrumors member

Hey, I'm playing this game on my new PB, and still getting quite a bit of frame rate stutters, especially in Goldshire, and all of the major cities. I know some of this may be lag, but it seems I run at a constant 15 fps.

Anyone have any tips of improving performance? I've got all my settings at the max, and lowering any of the settings doesn't seem to help. With the specs listed in my sig, I really expected more, especially with 128 mb of VRAM.

20. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

I got me some world of warcraft today. I'm running it on my iBook in my sig and to be honest, i'm loving it. I was afraid it would lag up a lot and do things like that, but I havent experienced any lag yet on it. Now I haven't got to any of the bigger cities yet where i'm sure even my big boi gaming pc might lag up but my iBook will be perfect for xping and hunting on the go.

So for anyone thinking about playing WoW on the go, i'll say the new iBook does very well.

oh..this is with the stock 512mb. I left all the settings the default that the game put in so I didn't mess with anything.

21. Sathos macrumors regular

I know this thread is focused on iBooks and PowerBooks, but it's the most recent WoW thread I could find. My question is, will WoW run well on my new 20" iMac? I'm assuming there will be no problems, but just making sure.

22. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

It'll run just fine on that baby.